Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bee Swarm Information

Default Bee Swarm Information

I cannot stress this enough. If you see a swarm of bees, call immediately, do not leave it thinking they will just fly off. They are looking for a home and it could be your property. When they are in, it can be hard to get them out or impossible without help from a builder.

The sooner you notify myself or Caithness Pest Control, the swarm can be removed easier and with less fuss. Even though they are not protected, they are classed as In Danger so remember that no one will want to destroy them.

A good idea would be to do a check around your property periodically and look for any holes in brickwork and around the roof area that could be a way in. If you have air bricks, a fine mesh siliconed into place will stop them getting in but allow your property to breathe.

For further information, do not hesitate to call as I am only too happy to help. Please do not reply to this thread as this is informatiion only. Thanks

Contact

Steve

01847 839154 or 07743479127

My mother-in-law had bees unknowingly nesting in her attic (North Wales). Her ceiling collapsed. The bees had been excavating the plaster board for nest material, must have been in there for years - she had not long moved in. During the winter, after they had left, I sealed all the holes into the attic and netted the air bricks. The bees came back in the spring but eventually gave up when they could not get in. Had a similar thing with wasps here in Caithness. They happily make a winter nest in greenhouse and I just let them get on with it but in summer they try and get in the roof space of house. Again I have blocked off access but not so easy as an old croft and they are sneaky s.

A 'bee space' is very small. With honey bees, if the queen gets in, the rest of the swarm will follow very quickly. Sometimes a few scout bees will look the area over, if they give the seal of approval, they will somehow transmit the I information and its all systems go on the next sunny day.
    Last edited by Scunner; 03-Aug-17 at 10:36. Reason: Spelling error