Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lord Lieutenant.

Thank you.....Just thinking of ma days in the High School, eating Houstons Food, and my days serving the Public on Francis St. And of course Nights at the Trinkie.....it's a wonder we are still here!

The new Lord Lieutenant of Caithness is John Thurso, a good ambassador for the Queen in Caithness and Caithness in general.
    Best wishes to him

Was delighted to hear this piece of news.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Olde School connections.....

They are what they are, where they are!

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Olde School connections.....

They are what they are, where they are!
    Is that how his predecessor got the position?

Its how he got back into the House of Lords

This is the guy who changed his name to Thurso....?
    I thought this way of choosing people because of their connections, had changed somewhat in the U.K., but obviously I am wrong. I have nothing against him, but wouldn't it be nice to give someone else an opportunity to Officiate. He is another of a long line of what used to be called 'important' people to get that what they wish.
    I feel there are many people in Caithness who deserve 'a shot' at something like this. There are many 'distinguished' people in the North who could honourably fill this person.
    Just a thot!

it would be interesting to know what other people think.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 13-Sep-17 at 12:50.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Is that how his predecessor got the position?
    I don't think so, but I don't know the connections.

This is the guy who changed his name to Thurso....?
    I thought this way of choosing people because of their connections, had changed somewhat in the U.K., but obviously I am wrong. I have nothing against him, but wouldn't it be nice to give someone else an opportunity to Officiate. He is another of a long line of what used to be called 'important' people to get that what they wish.
    I feel there are many people in Caithness who deserve 'a shot' at something like this. There are many 'distinguished' people in the North who could honourable fill this person.
    Just a thot!

it would be interesting to know what other people think.
    I think the Lord Lieutenantship doesn't have to be advertised in situations vacant, or chosen by plebiscite. It's not a job, or a position of power.

I realize that it is an Honorary position, to one whom is accomplished, with an impeccable background, but no one mentioned Pedigree!
    This again is akin to the Caste system. The system seems not to have changed, in this case anyway!

Poppet......are you truly happy that Lord Thurso was anointed to this position.....and everyone else in Caithness was incapable of such a task?
    I want to find out what other peoples thots are..
    Ty...

JT is the former MP, who has never disgraced himself too badly. I can see why they though he was suitable.

In an ideal World, everyone could be Lord Lieutenant for 15 minutes each.

Lets all join the queue!

Poppet......are you truly happy that Lord Thurso was anointed to this position.....and everyone else in Caithness was incapable of such a task?
    I want to find out what other peoples thots are..
    Ty...
    Of course there are other people who could do it, but given the nature of the job you would struggle to find anyone better, or even willing. Have a look at what it the duties are, it's unpaid, carries no power, requires acceptance of the established order and presumably no criminal record. Look forward to hearing your suggestions for candidates.
    Last edited by wavy davy; 15-Sep-17 at 00:12.

I have no one in mind......there are numerous 'volunteer' spots around....e.g. Special Constable. They are trained and are willing to give their time, and in the event of a Serious problem, willing to act alongside the regular Police.

I grew up in Caithness and remember the way some people were treated, if they didn't fit a pattern of courtsey and bowing to those who thought they were important, they were chastised.

It was refreshing to find in North America that these petty items were/are not recognised. A senior TV reporter became the Province of Ontario Governor General.......An author was also elevated to what in Caithness would need a Lord or a Lady...if you have never experienced the freedom of this way of life, then one is missing out.

I was simply asking a question, and you didn't answer!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 15-Sep-17 at 02:29.

I grew up in Caithness and remember the way some people were treated, if they didn't fit a pattern of courtsey and bowing to those who thought they were important, they were chastised.
    I've never lived anywhere but Caithness and I don't know what you mean.

Horseman - I dont quite understand your posts re Lord Thurso, especially as you have stated that you are thousands of miles away. There are at least six depute's that have been covering for the previous Lieutenant. Do you have a desire to be among the people who make the decision.

OK....the comments I rec'd smell of the Status Quo.........bye bye!

OK....the comments I rec'd smell of the Status Quo.........bye bye!
    No big loss. You were getting a bit boring.

Knock knock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast