Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: no thank you

Default no thank you

Hallo everybody. I'd appreciate it very much if you would share my campaign as widely as possible, thanks. Here's the link.......https://www.youcaring.com/meltemsrights-842295.

Money?

For an "apology?"

It costs money for a vulnerable, disabled child to have representation in court. The council are appealing against the courts decision rather than writing an apology. The written apology is part of the judgement handed down by the additional support needs tribunal. The council uses public funds to finance their appeal. Please let me know if you would like further information, thanks.

You want £25,000 to get an apology? Or are you fighting for something else?

Genuinely confused.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    You want £25,000 to get an apology? Or are you fighting for something else?

Genuinely confused.
    It reads as though someone is fighting to get some money.

hallo, I'm sorry you are confused, I will try to explain. My daughter is disabled. As a result of her disability she has received almost no education since December 2013, I have been fighting for her right to receive an education since then. The case has been to the Additional Support Needs Tribunal twice, and each time, it was judged in her favour. That is, that Edinburgh Council were at fault for failing her. The most recent judgement was passed on 7/4/17. Edinburgh Council have not fulfilled their obligations by adhering to the judgement and are appealing against the decision. This means that the case will now be heard at the Court of Session. In order for my daughter's voice to be heard at the Court of Session she needs a barrister, a lay person may not do it. It will cost at least £25 000 for my daughter to be represented in court by a barrister.

It was judged that Edinburgh Council broke the law, by discriminating against my daughter because of her disability. The council are using public funds to bring an appeal. This is fundamentally unfair.

Disabled children have the same right to an education as anyone else. Please feel free to ask me any other questions.

I am happy to give you more information, please just ask. It is not £25 000 for an apology. Had the council issued an apology, as they were directed to (amongst other things) by the additional needs tribunal, then there would be no argument. However, the council have decided that they would rather waste thousands of pounds of public funds pursuing an appeal. My daughter has received almost no education from age 10 to age 14, as a result of her disability. This is discrimination. A court of law (the additional support needs tribunal) judged that the council broke the law. Rather than admit that they have indeed broken the law, the council are appealing. The case will now be heard at the Court of Session. You need to be represented by a barrister at the Court of Session. Barristers are expensive. My daughter's solicitor is hopeful that the European Commission on Human Rights will provide funding, but that is not yet certain. Meanwhile, a vulnerable child is suffering, through no fault of their own.

Please feel free to ask me anymore questions.

Is she being educated now?

Can she only be educated in Edinburgh?

We moved to Gills Bay on 24th February. Until that date she was on school roll in Edinburgh, but not receiving any education (oh, she did get 3 maths lessons - not a lot but better than nowt). She is currently being home-educated whilst I find out if she would get the support she needs to attend school up here. I have managed to find her a maths and physics tutor but am still looking for tutors for English, biology, chemistry and art. Let me know if you know any tutors!

If you were unable to raise funds, would the Govt win by default? I understand this is the case in English County Courts if the defendant fails to show up.

We now have a new MP, maybe try and contact him.

I don't think the council would win by default, but I will check that. I have contacted the MSP, Gail Ross, as education is devolved in Scotland. Not had any response yet. I also contacted John Swinney as he is on the education and skills committee and got acknowledgement but no response yet. And thank you for your interest.

Much as I sympathise with your plight, I am confused as to why you left Edinburgh, where your daughter was receiving an education, to a remote location like Gills.

My daughter was not receiving an education in Edinburgh. That is the whole point! I've ben fighting since December 2013 for her to receive an education. That is more than 3 years that I've been battling with Edinburgh Council. I think that's long enough! They have done everything on their power NOT to provide her with the help she needs. This has had long lasting detrimental effects on her health. And we came to Gills because it is remote and beautiful. I haven't heard a single siren since I've been here. There are no drunk students walking past your house every night. You don't open your door in the morning to 1500 children walking to school in 1 direction and 1000 students walking to university in the other. It is beautiful, peaceful with glorious weather and it's food for the soul.

why didn't you just pay for a home tutor in Edinburgh ?

I'm not rich. The going rate in Edinburgh for 1 hour of tutoring is £50-£70. So, to cover the core subjects would have cost £250-£350 per week. Over a school year that's £9500-£13300. I don't even earn that much a year. The council saved a lot of money by not educating my girl.

Sorry, I am still confused. If you receive this written apology will your daughter then get an education in Edinburgh?
    Everyone's a critic ...............

Hi Ruth and welcome to you and Meltem to Caithness. Yes Gills Bay is a lovely spot. After 3 years you will have an intimate knowledge of your case and it's implications for Meltem and other students with learning difficulties, specifically in your former council area, but also potentially nationwide. Understandably, it takes time for the rest of us to get 'up to speed'. In my experience any manager, company, organisation, council etc will do all they can to avoid giving an apology, when they 'mess up', for one of 2 reasons........either they think an apology will be taken as an admission of guilt which would then open themselves up to further litigation or they are running a vexatious defence of your claims. By vexatious defence I mean one that is put together to put you to the greatest expense possible in terms of your time, your money and stress for daring to take them to court in the first place and in their eyes potentially encouraging others to do so also. Either way the council officers involved should be ashamed of themselves. We live in a strange world now Ruth where nobody apologises anymore and yet to move forward, and have respect, surely we need to acknowledge the past? I sincerely wish you all the very best in your endeavours for Meltem and other children suffering the same discrimination. I hope you can find help from the local paper and our new MP.

Bless you and good luck.

Janey

no, it isn't just about an apology. It is the principle. And no, she won't get an education in Edinburgh, ever. But it may help her to get an education here.

janeyj, thanks for your message. The last few years have been a very steep learning curve! I didn't know a thing about autism prior to 2014, now I know quite a lot!

Janey....
    What a sad sad way of looking at life, and our support systems.
    Vexatious and of course the 'buzzzz word' Discrimination. Wow...!
    The Council Officers are members of the Public, like ourselves...perhaps not you, who make decisions with the monies they are allotted, or are simply following instructions as per the Government Policy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast