Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: B876 Killimster (Castletown to Wick road)

Default B876 Killimster (Castletown to Wick road)

I read that this appalling 1/2 mile stretch was going to be repaired/resurfaced properly.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...t-13022017.htm

Drove across it yesterday. Please tell me that the few bucketful's of tarmac that have been used to patch over holes didn't cost over £500,000.

I did hear that an enterprising local was planning on renting out the potholes to tourists as 'The caves of Caithness'.

Going by...

"It is understood the work is due to be completed by autumn 2017 and will include the resurfacing of the entire section of the road."

I guess not (or at least hope not).
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

donss Guest

I'm sure it's had some 'Temporary Road Surface' warning signs at either end since the 1970's: That's The Highland Councils' idea of Temporary. Something similar to the NHS hip operation waiting times unfortunately... :-/
    Last edited by donss; 30-May-17 at 17:49. Reason: wrong wording / phrasing

Quote Originally Posted by donss View Post
    I'm sure it's had some 'Temporary Road Surface' warning signs at either end since the 1970's: That's The Highland Councils' idea of Temporary. Something similar to their hip operation waiting times unfortunately... :-/
    the Highland council do hip operations now? i wouldn't worry, it'll probably be a temporary hip replacement or a quick painkiller patch applied....

It was due to be done in May but is now down for June. The small patch done was an experiment. I don't see how they can do one side at a time with a contra flow, it's just not wide enough but we'll see. Whatever they do can't be satisfactory as the structure underneath rocks when heavy vehicles go over it and much of the damage was done when the Council, in their infinite wisdom, decided to bring lorries full of rubbish to Seater from as far away as Skye. 8 or 9 a day I understand. They've stopped for now. £135,000 or thereabouts of the total cost has been spent finding out what to do with it.
    Some enterprising lady in Bath was reported recently planting potholes there with flowers. Wouldn't leave much road here.
    Last edited by badger; 06-Jun-17 at 18:40.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

The stretch of road in question doesn't have a stable foundation since it runs across a peat bog; so whatever tarmac is laid on top will soon crack up again very quickly. The only solution would be to either replace the road with a bridge, a road built on stilts, or restrict vehicular use to light cars and vans. Since neither of these solutions is going to be viable we'll just have to live with it, .
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

They have decided now to close the road in September so it can be completely re-done with mesh or something base. Not that anything they do will last long there. Waiting to see what the diversions will be. They say it will take 3 weeks which sounds optimistic. Doing half at a time with a contraflow was never going to work but would they listen?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Have to agree with Gronnuck, It is built on a peat bog and has been "floating" like that for as long as it has been in it, I have no idea when the track and subsequent road were constructed, but it has done the job for a very long time, it has a high maintenance rate and unfortunately through lack of funding the resurfacing has been neglected, and also modern cars having more power and speed tend to take advantage of the strait.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life