Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Low cycles

Default Low cycles

What are other road users views on low cycles?

Did a run over to Tongue yesterday and nearly got taken out twice by tourists (that is a guess) drifting across the road looking at scenery rather than concentrating on driving. I bet a few tourists would not have seen this vehicle in time. Hope he made it safely home

Skinny tyres, dark clothing and not bothering to raise flag, doesn't help himself though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture bike 3.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	32184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture bike 4.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	32185

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    What are other road users views on low cycles?Did a run over to Tongue yesterday and nearly got taken out twice by tourists (that is a guess) drifting across the road looking at scenery rather than concentrating on driving. I bet a few tourists would not have seen this vehicle in time. Hope he made it safely homeSkinny tyres, dark clothing and not bothering to raise flag, doesn't help himself though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture bike 3.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	32184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture bike 4.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	32185
    looks like a recumbent bike to me, slightly unusual but not that uncommon, if you cant see that then you shouldn't be on the road
    W.A.T.P.

Saw it from miles away as I pay attention. One missed pothole equals new wheel or worse, me coming off. Problem is holiday makers spent too long enjoying the view whilst still driving. People on holiday seem to have a different mindset, like nothing bad will ever happen. Went to northern Thailand/Burma a couple of years ago with a group of friends and their riding was shocking compared to riding in the UK because they were on holiday. Weird what happens to peoples perception of danger.

Ps I always wear fluro because I want to stand as much chance as possible of being seen. Some drivers around here need all the help going to see motorcycles.
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 22-May-17 at 10:14.

indeed, I usually adorn a hi vis jacket whilst out cycling.Cant bee too visible
    W.A.T.P.

Yes, I'm the same- high viz every time and even that is not always enough, so it seems.
    I have an issue with European drivers of camper vans who regularly pass far too close- and I'm inside the white line, when I can manage it and practically on the verge!
    The vast majority of drivers are good though, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Yes, I'm the same- high viz every time and even that is not always enough, so it seems.I have an issue with European drivers of camper vans who regularly pass far too close- and I'm inside the white line, when I can manage it and practically on the verge!The vast majority of drivers are good though, I think.
    Dont ride on the gutter line, I find it much safer sitting out a couple of feet from the verge, I keeps you out of the dirty stuff and forces the approaching vehicle to slow down on most occasions.You will still get the idiot drivers but it protects you a little more.The amount of cars that squeeze by is scary, they should be in the opposite lane when overtaking not 6" from your shoulder.
    W.A.T.P.

As this is my first encounter with a recumbent cycle (thanks for the correct name mi16) I thought I would do a quick bit of research. all the user group members forums are full of questions on how to make the cycle as visible as possible due to near death experiences. It seems that no matter how many lights or flags you have someone is always going to claim they didn't see you. The advice is have the flags and lights or the insurance payout from the car drivers insurance is lowered considerably. My concern yesterday was for the guys safety.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	32191

if you get tagged by a car on any bike then you are doing well to be alive to spend your payout
    W.A.T.P.

Unfortunately there are too many people on the road who think it's someone else's responsibility to look out for them and make no effort to make sure they can be seen. Yes I'm the auld fart who switches on their dipped headlights when it's raining. When I'm on my bike I wear hi-viz and have my lights on. I will use dipped headlights too when the summer sun is low in the sky behind me. See me.....
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Unfortunately there are too many people on the road who think it's someone else's responsibility to look out for them and make no effort to make sure they can be seen. Yes I'm the auld fart who switches on their dipped headlights when it's raining. When I'm on my bike I wear hi-viz and have my lights on. I will use dipped headlights too when the summer sun is low in the sky behind me. See me.....

Totally agree. Some cyclists/motorcyclists think just because they can see you, you should see them. Probably true but we live in the real world with low sun, low concentration and sometimes low driver standards mean you need to be as visible as possible.

The cyclist wearing dark clothes on a bike with no lights may not be breaking any laws..........that will be a great comfort to their loved ones as they are scrapped off the road with a shovel.

Wear hi-viz and use lights, give yourself the best chance of being seen. I do and always will.

There is a cyclist I pass regularly on the Barrock to Dunnet section of A836 who wears hi-viz and has super bright flashing lights front and rear, you can see him from miles away. He will live to be an old man I'm sure. shame about the others who wont invest a few pounds to stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Totally agree. Some cyclists/motorcyclists think just because they can see you, you should see them. Probably true but we live in the real world with low sun, low concentration and sometimes low driver standards mean you need to be as visible as possible.The cyclist wearing dark clothes on a bike with no lights may not be breaking any laws..........that will be a great comfort to their loved ones as they are scrapped off the road with a shovel.Wear hi-viz and use lights, give yourself the best chance of being seen. I do and always will.There is a cyclist I pass regularly on the Barrock to Dunnet section of A836 who wears hi-viz and has super bright flashing lights front and rear, you can see him from miles away. He will live to be an old man I'm sure. shame about the others who wont invest a few pounds to stay safe.
    You need to be careful with the flashing lights, they can dazzle motorists very easily, the headlight i use has a crazy amount of lumens, they also need to flash between 60 and 240 times per minute.
    W.A.T.P.

I agree on holidays drivers have completely different perception as if they are guaranteed not to have any mishap. For the nights i use MonkeyLectric lights they are great in making you visible.

As I understand it the general interpretation of the highway code is that cyclists should ride around 1/2 m from the side of the road to avoid uneven surfaces and hazardous edges. Cyclists have the same right as cars to avoid potholes and similar so may wish to move further out into the road. A cyclist turning right has same rights as any other vehicle turning right so all traffic is supposed to stop (although a sensible cyclist may pull over to let traffic pass first but this is not a highway code requirement). Motor vehicles are to anticipate the actions of a cyclist and give them room to manoevre, swing about in the wind and similar. Again the interpretation is that motor vehicles should slow down and pass a cyclist no closer than 1 m. If a passing vehicle upsets a cyclists by passing too close or too fast, sprays them with water etc. this may be construde as a criminal act. The highway codes encourages but does not enforce the wearing of appropropriate clothing by cyclists (Hi Viz and helmets). Use of lights, reflectors and mudguards is compulsory.

As cyclists are more vulnerable than motor vehicles, the legal emphasis is on drivers to protect cyclists.

There is also general guidance on the courtesy of using roads and this applies to both cyclists and drivers. Big groups of cyclists, especially on single track or narrow roads, preventing safe overtaking by motor vehicles may be considered a criminal act as well. However, there is also guidance on prevention of traffic flow which is derived from the rights to herd animals. So a group of cyclists may be able to hold traffic up for 20 minutes before breaking this law. Organised events, with police recognition and appropriate precautions, may be allowed to break some of these rules.

As for tourists driving around staring at the scenery, or farmers driving around staring at stock, this is driving illegally without due car and attention (at minimum).

Ever thought of carrying out a citizen's arrest for illegal driving? "Scotland. While no statutory provision for citizen's arrest exists in Scots Law, there is a common law position that anyone committing an offence can be arrested using minimum force if necessary with consideration to what is reasonable in the relevant circumstances. ... An arrest is applicable reliant on situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I will use dipped headlights too when the summer sun is low in the sky behind me. See me.....
    When the sun's behind you, a headlight can make you less easily visible.