Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Would you buy an electric car if it could go father than a petrol or diesel one

Default Would you buy an electric car if it could go father than a petrol or diesel one

If you could recharge your electric car through induction coils in the road and charging coils at supermarkets and cars parks . There would be no need to spend hours recharging batteries ,would you buy one ?.
    Last edited by dozy; 20-May-17 at 14:24.

As long as we build more coal and oil fueled electricity generating power stations then this will work.

i would love to have an Electric Car.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I would rather like an electric car too. I'm not fussed if it can go faster - as long as it can keep up!

I find it shocking
    only as clean as the source of supply
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I find it shocking
    only as clean as the source of supply
    You are kinda right but actually it is a little more complicated than that.

Electric cars are lighter so more energy efficient.

The energy is supplied to your sockets. So there are energy efficiency savings in delivery.

Electric motors are more energy efficient, less heat is wasted and more energy is converted into movement.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Lighter, I don't think so.
    a Nissan Leaf kerbweight is circa 1500kg
    a nissan micra weighs in at a svelt 1100kg

Electric may be supplied to your sockets but it has to be transmitted to your sockets from the source of supply and the range of an electric vehicle is so poor you would need to calculate your journeys very carefully to avoid a flat battery when out and about.

I do think electric cars are the future and probably the present for city motorists, but we are some way off a useable electric option for rural motorists.

in the future we won't own cars anymore, we will tap on an app and an autonomous vehicle will pop around to take you to your destination.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Lighter, I don't think so.
    a Nissan Leaf kerbweight is circa 1500kg
    a nissan micra weighs in at a svelt 1100kg

Electric may be supplied to your sockets but it has to be transmitted to your sockets from the source of supply and the range of an electric vehicle is so poor you would need to calculate your journeys very carefully to avoid a flat battery when out and about.

I do think electric cars are the future and probably the present for city motorists, but we are some way off a useable electric option for rural motorists.

in the future we won't own cars anymore, we will tap on an app and an autonomous vehicle will pop around to take you to your destination.
    We can pick and choose which models to compare but the premise still holds. Burning petrol in a car is a big waste of fuel in the conversion process where there are big heat losses. The potential for electric car development is huge as battery sizes decrease and energy storage capacity increases.

Like you say, electric cars are the future.

How do you envisage it going with freight? The huge lorries are surely the major polluters and there seems to be no solution for that although maybe, robots will just make absolutely everything we use on the spot in the future, thereby cutting the need for that form of transport. I don't know!

The only thing wrong with electric cars is they have electric motors, which like wind turbines use millions of tones of rare earths to manufacture magnets for the generators, the increase of electricity consumption will only increase this - perhaps not as green as you think. This is happening in China, Brazil, Africa - but I suppose as its not happening here its OK (NIMBY)

LYING hidden in an little-known corner of China is a town that will horrify you.

Baotou is the world’s biggest supplier of rare earth minerals — the fundamental ingredients used to make today’s technologies — and it’s hell on Earth.
    This pastureland turned wasteland on the edge of the Gobi desert is a toxic nightmare, evidence of the horrific effect the pursuit of consumerism has had on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    We can pick and choose which models to compare but the premise still holds. Burning petrol in a car is a big waste of fuel in the conversion process where there are big heat losses. The potential for electric car development is huge as battery sizes decrease and energy storage capacity increases.

Like you say, electric cars are the future.

You show me the equivalent models that are lighter in electric mode than the hydrocarbon equivalent.
    stidies indicate that electric vehicles are on average 30% heavier than hydrocarbon fuelled and offer 30% less range.
    factor in the damage caused to the highways if the road weight of all vehicles increases by 30% then we will have increased potholes and resurfacing works required. All that hot burny tar won't be so good on the environment
    W.A.T.P.

I gather the US car firms will shortly be exporting coal-powered cars. Hopefully they can be adapted to burn multi fuels like wood and peat so its cheap and easy to fill up at the side of the road....
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    How do you envisage it going with freight? The huge lorries are surely the major polluters and there seems to be no solution for that although maybe, robots will just make absolutely everything we use on the spot in the future, thereby cutting the need for that form of transport. I don't know!
    https://nikolamotor.com/one

electric lorries are already here, and have been for at least a year, more powerful and cleaner check it out

yes the hydrogen fuel cell versions, a few hydrogen buses nipping about in AberdeenVirtually silent and no black smoke.Also quicker refueling than plug in vehicles, IMO thats the way the car should be heading.
    W.A.T.P.

Thank you. I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    I gather the US car firms will shortly be exporting coal-powered cars. Hopefully they can be adapted to burn multi fuels like wood and peat so its cheap and easy to fill up at the side of the road....
    And if powered by windmills, then one can hope they'll travel at least 50 miles before stopping for fifteen minutes and then heading on for a further ten?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogbrush View Post
    And if powered by windmills, then one can hope they'll travel at least 50 miles before stopping for fifteen minutes and then heading on for a further ten?
    flour will no do a great job of charging your plug in vehicle
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    The only thing wrong with electric cars is they have electric motors, which like wind turbines use millions of tones of rare earths to manufacture magnets for the generators, the increase of electricity consumption will only increase this - perhaps not as green as you think. This is happening in China, Brazil, Africa - but I suppose as its not happening here its OK (NIMBY)

LYING hidden in an little-known corner of China is a town that will horrify you.

Baotou is the world’s biggest supplier of rare earth minerals — the fundamental ingredients used to make today’s technologies — and it’s hell on Earth.
    This pastureland turned wasteland on the edge of the Gobi desert is a toxic nightmare, evidence of the horrific effect the pursuit of consumerism has had on Earth.
    Surely that is waste management problem rather than ap roblem with electric motors? There are electric windings and magnets in petrol cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Surely that is waste management problem rather than ap roblem with electric motors? There are electric windings and magnets in petrol cars.
    There is a radioactive source in lots of smoke detectors but that doesn't mean you will have a criticality in your living room
    W.A.T.P.

Only if the maintenance cost were also down to the normal cars