Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Transport Historians?

Default Transport Historians?

Those of you who take an interest in history and especially the transport conditions of 19th century Caithness and Sutherland - have you some information about how those from the West Coast were able to travel so frequently to Wick and thereabouts. Was there some kind of low cost stage coach (horse and cart) service? I find my ancestors from Scourie, Kinlochbervie and Fanagmore turning up frequently on the East Coast and would like to know how they did that as I don't picture fishermen and crofters having money for travel.

Default Re: Transport Historians?

Quote Originally Posted by marionq
    Those of you who take an interest in history and especially the transport conditions of 19th century Caithness and Sutherland - have you some information about how those from the West Coast were able to travel so frequently to Wick and thereabouts. Was there some kind of low cost stage coach (horse and cart) service? I find my ancestors from Scourie, Kinlochbervie and Fanagmore turning up frequently on the East Coast and would like to know how they did that as I don't picture fishermen and crofters having money for travel.
    That all depends on which part of the 19th century you are talking about. At the start of the 19th century the roads would be near impassable for a carriage but by 1887 Calder rates them as "not excelled by those of any other county in Scotland". The road to Wick was completed in around 1818 and a Mail Coach made regular runs carrying passengers and steam boats ran from Aberdeen and Leith to Wick. The railway was completed in 1874.

Those coming to work seasonally in the herin fishing season would have come by boat I would think or have their fares paid by the boat owners who were always keen to get workers here for the season. There were a lot of people came from the Western Isles and Sutherland for the herin season, they could earn 4 to 6 pounds for 5 or 6 weeks work in the 1840s when a servant would earn up to 4 pounds a year.

Fred, thanks a lot that is interesting. I am writing up my family history and it gives it more life when explaining where a person was living or working if some details can be given about how they got there.

This is an excellent website for people with ancestors from the area and I have been equally impressed with the Mull website where my Mum's family hails from. Thanks again.

Marion