So, the Highland Council decide to sell Wick swimming pool. It was paid for with public money too. Honestly, these Councillors really are a scummy lot. NOW IS THE TIME TO VOTE THEM ALL OUT!. They care about nobody but themselves.
This is from Ros Curwood via 38 degrees.
Dear Friends,

Well, sadly the local pool has hosted its last training session for the club here. They will move to the new pool in the school, and I wish them and all the children in school fun and every success in their training.

I still think the people of Wick did an astonishing thing in building their pool and I still think they have been royally trashed by the Highland Council who have followed their own corporate style decision-making processes throughout this whole project with never a thought for what the people wanted, though the people twice presented from the beginning clear evidence that the new plans were not what they wanted. A few days ago I emailed all those who took part in the petition over the last months to let them know that not only did the Highland Council choose to ignore half the adult population who first protested against their plans for the current pool and library, but they have also decided not to even give a hearing to the nearly 1500 people who recently asked for the decision to be reconsidered and for a public enquiry into their decision-making process. You know, so that it can never happen again... Ha.

Well we have council elections coming up and maybe now is the time to ensure that candidates are closely questioned on how they intend to represent us their electorate instead of as has clearly happened in the past, lookling only to the corporate steamroller to provide answers, and to decide that they in their infinite wisdom know what is best for us. The people of Wick rolled up their sleeves, put on their thinking caps and for twenty years went for it to achieve their dream and build their pool. Talk about a can-do attitude. Now they will have an office block, I think, the pool and site sold by our council without our permission and with no recompense or explanation, and none of our questions answered about how this came about though against strongly expressed public opinion. I can't even begin to find the words to say how despicable I think think their attitude has been.

But, we tried. We have elections coming up. We have a chance to have a say in who represents us, and a chance to tell them what we expect of them. So everyone who can vote can influence the outcome. Maybe we will find a way to ensure that they take our views into account when decisions have to be made, maybe we can get the candidates to consider a new approach over matters of this nature, outside the common run of things.

Thanks very much indeed for all the support you gave, I'm only sorry I didn't have enough know-how or leg-power to run a stronger campagin, but we did have a bash at having a say, too bad the Highland Councillors who 'considered' our petition had their ear-plugs in and their democratic instincts muffled.

I still think Wick people were marvellous to get that pool sorted, and I think Wick people are marvellous now. The spirit of Whaligoe Steps lives on.

With regards and regret,

Ros