Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wick swimming pool.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Wick
    Posts
    1,681

    Default Wick swimming pool.

    So, the Highland Council decide to sell Wick swimming pool. It was paid for with public money too. Honestly, these Councillors really are a scummy lot. NOW IS THE TIME TO VOTE THEM ALL OUT!. They care about nobody but themselves.
    This is from Ros Curwood via 38 degrees.
    Dear Friends,

    Well, sadly the local pool has hosted its last training session for the club here. They will move to the new pool in the school, and I wish them and all the children in school fun and every success in their training.

    I still think the people of Wick did an astonishing thing in building their pool and I still think they have been royally trashed by the Highland Council who have followed their own corporate style decision-making processes throughout this whole project with never a thought for what the people wanted, though the people twice presented from the beginning clear evidence that the new plans were not what they wanted. A few days ago I emailed all those who took part in the petition over the last months to let them know that not only did the Highland Council choose to ignore half the adult population who first protested against their plans for the current pool and library, but they have also decided not to even give a hearing to the nearly 1500 people who recently asked for the decision to be reconsidered and for a public enquiry into their decision-making process. You know, so that it can never happen again... Ha.

    Well we have council elections coming up and maybe now is the time to ensure that candidates are closely questioned on how they intend to represent us their electorate instead of as has clearly happened in the past, lookling only to the corporate steamroller to provide answers, and to decide that they in their infinite wisdom know what is best for us. The people of Wick rolled up their sleeves, put on their thinking caps and for twenty years went for it to achieve their dream and build their pool. Talk about a can-do attitude. Now they will have an office block, I think, the pool and site sold by our council without our permission and with no recompense or explanation, and none of our questions answered about how this came about though against strongly expressed public opinion. I can't even begin to find the words to say how despicable I think think their attitude has been.

    But, we tried. We have elections coming up. We have a chance to have a say in who represents us, and a chance to tell them what we expect of them. So everyone who can vote can influence the outcome. Maybe we will find a way to ensure that they take our views into account when decisions have to be made, maybe we can get the candidates to consider a new approach over matters of this nature, outside the common run of things.

    Thanks very much indeed for all the support you gave, I'm only sorry I didn't have enough know-how or leg-power to run a stronger campagin, but we did have a bash at having a say, too bad the Highland Councillors who 'considered' our petition had their ear-plugs in and their democratic instincts muffled.



    I still think Wick people were marvellous to get that pool sorted, and I think Wick people are marvellous now. The spirit of Whaligoe Steps lives on.



    With regards and regret,

    Ros
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    If the wick people built the pool then how did it end up under council control?
    W.A.T.P.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Wick
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Only the Council know that.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

  4. #4

    Default

    The Council likely paid for the upkeep etc., over the years.
    Or submit a letter asking the Council to explain.
    There is a 'general' shortage of money, some of which was spent foolishly by the Council. But until you get full time professionals running the Corporation, then you have to expect mistakes, and even when you have professionals doing the job, mistakes will be made.
    I notice that on many Boards and Blogs the 'complainers' are ready to level everything again the Elected Officials. Take a run in their shoes sometime!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 28-Apr-17 at 12:52.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    I'd doubt if the community funded the entire build, running and upkeep of the pool.
    W.A.T.P.

  6. #6

    Default Swimming Pool Public Money Contribtion

    The new Community Facilities are a significant improvement on those as provided by the original pool. Sauna, Steam room, 6 lane competition pool with floating floor and spectator seating. i seem to recall 20,000 was the public contribution all those years ago. I,m sure we've all had our moneys worth out of it by now and yes i know the sale of the old pool didnt realise as much as anticipated.
    I kent his faither

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    I dont think anyone would have had their moneys worth, surely any contributing persons using the pool would have paid to do so, the same as a non contributor?
    W.A.T.P.

  8. #8

    Default

    The money collected by the public was for a pool for the public (altruism if you will). Some pool users were not even born when the collections were made all those years ago. No one was forced to contribute, however it was leverage to get the pool built in the first place. I donated myself and i've had my moneys worth......we used to have to travel to Thurso.......
    I kent his faither

  9. #9

    Default

    If the community raise the voice together, council may reconsider the decision. After all it was public money...

  10. #10

    Default

    Can I ask what is the issue, surely the new pool is better, more modern better facilities etc. is it the fact the opening hours are not as flexible or the location?
    Money was raised to help fund it by the community but its not like he council have closed it down because of funding issues and not replaced it.

    What is to become of the old pool? Has it bee sold if so what will it be used for?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Wick, Caithness
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Perhaps now my election ( I did not get elected this time) is over I can shed some light on the question of who paid for the Wick swimming pool.

    Ros is completely wrong and Camra has it nearer the mark. The petition wording gave those that signed it the wrong information.

    I have had a word from one of the remaining members of the original fund raising committee. They raised somewhere over 30,000 but the pool cost nears 2million paid for by Highland council. There were one or two other small funds donated also - one from Wick Round Table held in their account for many years until the pool became reality. I know this as I was a member.

    The fund possibly helped pay for fitness equipment etc which has over the years been replaced more than once.

    Undoubtedly the fund raising did help keep the project on the table over many years but as I was not a councillor back then I cannot be sure.

    The old pool will be sold very soon and funds will go into the Highland council capitals funds to help build other buildings or deal with capital issues in the region to help communities wherever the may be. That has always happened when buildings are sold.

    I hope the people of Wick and indeed the whole county will enjoy the new facilities at Wick High including the new pool. It took longer than we hoped but it is there now and speaking to a few who have already used it .. seems to be going down well with them.

    Take advantage of the Highlife card special deal and use it.

    Bill Fernie
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 05-May-17 at 21:38.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Wick
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    (Isn't Camra the Campaign for real ale?) But it doesn't help the fact that when tourists are holidaying in Wick they will be reluctant to visit a high school to go for a swim. The Highland Council really have made some ludicrous
    decisions in the past. A perfectly good amenity left to rack and ruin. As for Wick library, well that's another argument.
    Last edited by 2little2late; 05-May-17 at 21:22.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space the final frontier
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Why would anyone presume that tourists would be reluctant to visit a High School as far as tourists are concerned they will be visiting a state of the art facility which is adjacent to a high school similar to any other facilities South. As for the local library a perfectly good amenity ? It would be if it had all the facilities needed to operate in this day. No lift for the disabled expensive to maintain expensive to heat a complete drain on taxpayers money. It should have had lots more investment put into it over the last many years but didnt.

    The cry that the people of WIck payed for that pool and should have the money returned to them doesnt stand up. Who over the last 20 to 30 years paid the largest amount into having the pool built has operated maintained upgraded staffed and put the bulk of the money into that building to keep it going not just the people of Wick.

    Honestly we should be celebrating brand new facilities state of the art facilities instead of shutting our library and pool we still have them some areas have not been as fortunate.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    So, the Highland Council decide to sell Wick swimming pool. It was paid for with public money too. Honestly, these Councillors really are a scummy lot. NOW IS THE TIME TO VOTE THEM ALL OUT!. They care about nobody but themselves.
    This is from Ros Curwood via 38 degrees.
    Dear Friends,

    Well, sadly the local pool has hosted its last training session for the club here. They will move to the new pool in the school, and I wish them and all the children in school fun and every success in their training.

    I still think the people of Wick did an astonishing thing in building their pool and I still think they have been royally trashed by the Highland Council who have followed their own corporate style decision-making processes throughout this whole project with never a thought for what the people wanted, though the people twice presented from the beginning clear evidence that the new plans were not what they wanted. A few days ago I emailed all those who took part in the petition over the last months to let them know that not only did the Highland Council choose to ignore half the adult population who first protested against their plans for the current pool and library, but they have also decided not to even give a hearing to the nearly 1500 people who recently asked for the decision to be reconsidered and for a public enquiry into their decision-making process. You know, so that it can never happen again... Ha.

    Well we have council elections coming up and maybe now is the time to ensure that candidates are closely questioned on how they intend to represent us their electorate instead of as has clearly happened in the past, lookling only to the corporate steamroller to provide answers, and to decide that they in their infinite wisdom know what is best for us. The people of Wick rolled up their sleeves, put on their thinking caps and for twenty years went for it to achieve their dream and build their pool. Talk about a can-do attitude. Now they will have an office block, I think, the pool and site sold by our council without our permission and with no recompense or explanation, and none of our questions answered about how this came about though against strongly expressed public opinion. I can't even begin to find the words to say how despicable I think think their attitude has been.

    But, we tried. We have elections coming up. We have a chance to have a say in who represents us, and a chance to tell them what we expect of them. So everyone who can vote can influence the outcome. Maybe we will find a way to ensure that they take our views into account when decisions have to be made, maybe we can get the candidates to consider a new approach over matters of this nature, outside the common run of things.

    Thanks very much indeed for all the support you gave, I'm only sorry I didn't have enough know-how or leg-power to run a stronger campagin, but we did have a bash at having a say, too bad the Highland Councillors who 'considered' our petition had their ear-plugs in and their democratic instincts muffled.



    I still think Wick people were marvellous to get that pool sorted, and I think Wick people are marvellous now. The spirit of Whaligoe Steps lives on.



    With regards and regret,

    Ros
    Perhaps you could reply/ comment on Mr Fernie's statement.
    Perhaps if you are so 'smart' u shud run for Council.
    It is really sad that you can come up with such a Diatribe against ths Council, when you know absolutely nothing about what went on.....
    Perhaps your comments made about Americans hold the same accuracy.

    Perhaps you should apologize for your comments on the Swimming Pool. Thank you.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    ... the new facilities at Wick High including the new pool. It took longer than we hoped...
    Losh bliss us boy! 'At's 'e beegist understatement I've ever hurd !! Yee mucked aboot way 'at for years 'n' years.

    Yir no tellan us how much more it cost though. 'At's probably why no chiel voted for yee.

  16. #16

    Default

    Gosh....2little took a green bar away from me........I am so so upset.
    How can I live like this.....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Wick
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Gosh....2little took a green bar away from me........I am so so upset.
    How can I live like this.....
    Awwwwww, diddums.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Gosh....2little took a green bar away from me........I am so so upset.
    How can I live like this.....
    Gave me a bad rep too! (Can't remember what for). Sent me a lovely little rep msg as well .....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •