Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eat eggs to live a long life

It requires a hell of a lot more water to ship your coconut oil around the world
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    It requires a hell of a lot more water to ship your coconut oil around the world
    I accept there is a lot of water in the oceans.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Not to mention all the huge volumes of water that it takes to grow and process the vegetables, seeds, nuts, pulses and grains upon which you depend for your life. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us all about that? On second thoughts, don't bother. I don't have a problem with it nor with what ever quantity of water it takes to produce an egg and it certainly does not take what you are suggesting for most folk who keep a few chucks up here. Water is life and life needs water. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Not to mention all the huge volumes of water that it takes to grow and process the vegetables, seeds, nuts, pulses and grains upon which you depend for your life. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us all about that? On second thoughts, don't bother. I don't have a problem with it nor with what ever quantity of water it takes to produce an egg and it certainly does not take what you are suggesting for most folk who keep a few chucks up here. Water is life and life needs water. Simples.
    Yes it does take water to grow vegetables and fruit. But when you have to feed 10 kg of plant protein to get 1 kg of meat or 3 kg of grain to reap 1 kg of eggs then you are requiring a disproportional amount of water usage to provide your food. Just because people may have a few backyard hens at home, it does not make them immune to the statistics or the cruelty. It is simple to work out.

Well, you can keep hens and feed them very simply and cheaply and successfully on household scraps- millions of people do just that in poorer parts of the world and for centuries, this was how they were kept in the UK as well. I can remember this from my childhood when some grain was set aside for the chickens but they were also fed upon whatever was going. In fact, some Aid agencies give people a few chickens as they recognise the value that this brings in terms of improving quality of life and nutrition. An egg is packaged wholesome nutrition and an excellent source of protein that many children go short of. As for the water side of things, a new process announced only the other week is set to make a real difference, extracting fresh water from sea water and will hopefully turn things around for very many people in the future:
    Graphene-oxide membranes have attracted considerable attention as promising candidates for new filtration technologies. Now the much sought-after development of making membranes capable of sieving common salts has been achieved.
    New research demonstrates the real-world potential of providing clean drinking water for millions of people who struggle to access adequate clean water sources.
    The new findings from a group of scientists at The University of Manchester were published today in the journal Nature Nanotechnology. Previously graphene-oxide membranes have shown exciting potential for gas separation and water filtration.

Well, you can keep hens and feed them very simply and cheaply and successfully on household scraps- millions of people do just that in poorer parts of the world and for centuries, this was how they were kept in the UK as well. I can remember this from my childhood when some grain was set aside for the chickens but they were also fed upon whatever was going. In fact, some Aid agencies give people a few chickens as they recognise the value that this brings in terms of improving quality of life and nutrition. An egg is packaged wholesome nutrition and an excellent source of protein that many children go short of. As for the water side of things, a new process announced only the other week is set to make a real difference, extracting fresh water from sea water and will hopefully turn things around for very many people in the future:
    Graphene-oxide membranes have attracted considerable attention as promising candidates for new filtration technologies. Now the much sought-after development of making membranes capable of sieving common salts has been achieved.
    New research demonstrates the real-world potential of providing clean drinking water for millions of people who struggle to access adequate clean water sources.
    The new findings from a group of scientists at The University of Manchester were published today in the journal Nature Nanotechnology. Previously graphene-oxide membranes have shown exciting potential for gas separation and water filtration.
    History has taught us that problems can arise with human health when food waste is fed to animals.

It was not food waste, it was food!
    You do such a disservice to animals. Chickens, for example, free range in Caithness or in an African village are able to make choices about what they eat and they do. They will hoover up plenty of invertebrates for a start. The chickens that I have to do with (though they are not mine) usually live out of doors returning to their hen house at night, roaming quite widely in fields and in the yard. In the summer, when there is plenty of 'forage' for them then they are far less bothered about their actual feed or grain which can sometimes be left in the trough. Most farm animals in Caithness and many throughout the UK, live out of doors in fields and pastures that may be bordered by rough edges, hedges or streams and rivers that offer them a choice of greenery other than grass. You have only to actually take time to observe animals to see that things are not so simple as you might at first think.
    But this is just the old, tired argument, isn't it that has been gone round in circles over endlessly by you. The basic thing is that you see cruelty and inhumanity everywhere in animal husbandry (while the rest of us don't and know that the welfare standards in the UK are higher than anywhere else. What was it in the Groat recently about a pregnant cow having more 'rights' and protection than an expectant Caithness mother)? Also, you think it wrong to eat animals or their products and again, most of the rest of us on here clearly have a different view.

It was not food waste, it was food!
    You do such a disservice to animals. Chickens, for example, free range in Caithness or in an African village are able to make choices about what they eat and they do. They will hoover up plenty of invertebrates for a start. The chickens that I have to do with (though they are not mine) usually live out of doors returning to their hen house at night, roaming quite widely in fields and in the yard. In the summer, when there is plenty of 'forage' for them then they are far less bothered about their actual feed or grain which can sometimes be left in the trough. Most farm animals in Caithness and many throughout the UK, live out of doors in fields and pastures that may be bordered by rough edges, hedges or streams and rivers that offer them a choice of greenery other than grass. You have only to actually take time to observe animals to see that things are not so simple as you might at first think.
    But this is just the old, tired argument, isn't it that has been gone round in circles over endlessly by you. The basic thing is that you see cruelty and inhumanity everywhere in animal husbandry (while the rest of us don't and know that the welfare standards in the UK are higher than anywhere else. What was it in the Groat recently about a pregnant cow having more 'rights' and protection than an expectant Caithness mother)? Also, you think it wrong to eat animals or their products and again, most of the rest of us on here clearly have a different view.
    Live in your cruel dreamworld if you want.

Do I need to post graphic images of chicks being drowned , gassed, ground up, and other images of animals being slaughtered and raped to get my point across?

here we go with the crackpot rape theories again!!
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    here we go with the crackpot rape theories again!!
    It is mainstream language for the procedure. A rape rack is what the dairy/meat industry calls the stalls where the cows get raped.

and crackpot is mainstream language for your types.
    W.A.T.P.

I've just caught one of my chucks egg eating. I've now a moral dilemma - do I a) kill it for being an egg eater or b) kill it for being an egg eater?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'm telling you that the experts say that 53 gallons per egg is the amount of water required. If you think that the amount of water needed to create an egg is the amount that you run off from a tap for a hen to drink just demonstrates your ignorance.
    Please provide a breakdown of how the 53 gallons is calculated...Not just 'an expert says'

I will repeat my earlier question.....Do you accept that all water is returned to the water cycle through evaporation or by direct means to ground? I know that admitting this will blow your argument to pieces....but lets see if you are man enough to admit it
    or maybe you actually believe that an egg contains 53 gallons of water

As for ignorance....what a cheek, if your posts weren't so sad and bigoted, they would be funny.

I see you still don't have any posters siding with you yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Please provide a breakdown of how the 53 gallons is calculated...Not just 'an expert says'

I will repeat my earlier question.....Do you accept that all water is returned to the water cycle through evaporation or by direct means to ground? I know that admitting this will blow your argument to pieces....but lets see if you are man enough to admit it
    or maybe you actually believe that an egg contains 53 gallons of water

As for ignorance....what a cheek, if your posts weren't so sad and bigoted, they would be funny.

I see you still don't have any posters siding with you yet.
    You are anti expert now? Thought so, hmm...

Eat powdered egg.

Nobody's going to come along and claim there's 63 gallons of water in it.

You should not laff - the man is an eggspert dontcha know

Couple of eggs short of a basket
    W.A.T.P.

And still has not provided the actual reference to the 'experts' as directly requested by Goodfellers but ducked it. I wonder why?

Strange how 'he' provides 'factual scientific evidence' for his anti everything dairy/cancer posts, but can't do the same here.

AND he can't accept that all water is returned to the water cycle making his statements regarding water used irrelevant.

No grain is irrigated in the UK so I would be interested to know how he calculates the rainfall that falls on all the UK crops.

A high % of UK grown wheat is not suitable for milling and is used as feed wheat....we only used UK wheat for milling our own feedstuffs.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Eat powdered egg.

Nobody's going to come along and claim there's 63 gallons of water in it.

If you read the instructions on the label it does say 'add 53 gallons of fresh water per spoonful of powder'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast