Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eat eggs to live a long life

Default Eat eggs to live a long life

I couldn't resist posting this about worlds oldest woman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39610937

Quote from article;

But it was also down to a rather unusual diet of three eggs - two raw - each day for more than 90 years.
    My favorite quote

Her doctor of 27 years, Carlo Bava, had told AFP news agency that she rarely ate vegetables or fruit.

So eating lots of eggs and avoiding fruit and veg you are able to live to 117, goes against a lot of 'research' posted on here!

Happy Easter everyone

A domesticated hen has been selectively bred to ovulate 25 times more than its ancestor in the wild. If hens could speak then that would make one moody hen. Also they need to be fed vast amount of added calcium in their diet, that is the equivalent of us having to eat 300g of limestone grit, that would also make us pretty gloomy.

The recommended daily intake of cholesterol is 300mg per day, an egg contains 185mg. It is high in cholesterol which raises our risk of coronary heart disease.

Hens get exhausted from the continuous production of eggs leading to their premature death. They lose 10% of their calcium in their skeletons to produce each egg. They also suffer from fatty livers and ovarian cancers to produce the eggs for you.

Hens are often kept in cramped conditions. Some even cannibalise each other for space and food.

Virtually all hens are killed after 18 months of laying due to exhaustion, the natural lifespan of a chicken is 10-20 years.

It takes 3 kg of grain to produce 1 kg of eggs and 200 litres of water to produce one egg. Hen faeces has a huge amount of ammonia that leaches into groundwater. That has a huge environmental impact on our countryside in terms of biodversity loss and carbon footprint.

The consumption of eggs has also been linked to diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

60 billion of male chickens are routinely killed each year by gassing, suffocation, put into a grinder beause they are unwanted. Though the latest fad is to dye them a pretty colour and give them away as Easter gifts.

Happy Easter everyone
    Last edited by Rheghead; 16-Apr-17 at 12:25.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

YAWN (yes, big text, again) Back to ag college for you, as a farmer you would be broke within a month if your feed consumption figures were even close. You are clearly obsessed with learning all you can about poultry farming, so I have attached a management guide for you to read, few years out of date but it will give you some idea about the correct facts.

Enjoy

44 gallons of water per egg......are you mad!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    44 gallons of water per egg......are you mad!!!!
    Actually that is about the amount of water to produce one egg.

That’s right, every single egg requires an average of 53 gallons of water to produce. Chickens require water-intensive grain feed (about two pounds per every pound of chicken protein produced) as well as water for drinking and irrigation.
    https://qz.com/171698/it-takes-53-ga...-a-single-egg/

200 litres/53 gallons of water for 1 egg
    http://everylittledrop.com.au/knowle...ter-footprint/

For the 'normal, sensible' reader, a hen drinks just over 200ml a day (7.5 fl oz). A hen eats around 120g of food a day, so 53 gallons to produce 100g of grain......I don't think so. Working on that principle a 800g loaf would need 424 gallons. An Olympic size swimming pool filled to the brim to produce 1557 loaves of bread....ok.

Question....How much water to produce 100g of lettuce or any other vegetable? Or is it just grain for hens that take enormous volumes of rainwater to produce?

You also failed to mention that virtually all the water used in the production of ANYTHING is returned to ground either directly or through evaporation ....so as usual, you try to make things look worse than they appear.
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 16-Apr-17 at 13:27.

For the 'normal, sensible' reader, a hen drinks just over 200ml a day (7.5 fl oz). A hen eats around 120g of food a day, so 53 gallons to produce 100g of grain......I don't think so. Working on that principle a 800g loaf would need 424 gallons. An Olympic size swimming pool filled to the brim to produce 1557 loaves of bread....ok.

Question....How much water to produce 100g of lettuce or any other vegetable? Or is it just grain for hens that take enormous volumes of rainwater to produce?
    It just takes 6.6 gallons of water to produce a 100g of lettuce.

Feeding food to animals to farm meat, milk and dairy is a very inefficient process in resources. It takes about 10kg of plant protein to produce 1 kg of meat. It take a surprising amount of water to produce grain but it takes astronomical amounts of water to produce meat, milk and eggs. It is just basic maths at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Actually that is about the amount of water to produce one egg.

https://qz.com/171698/it-takes-53-ga...-a-single-egg/

I might worry about using water if it didn't rain every bloody day.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I might worry about using water if it didn't rain every bloody day.
    The problem is that it doesn't rain every day here or anywhere else for that matter.

Don't panic readers.

Even using Rhegheads ridiculous figure of 200L per egg (I think that must be every single drop used including for washing our vans, tractors and us at the end of each day) We have enough fresh water in the world (93,113 Cubic Kilometers surface water, not including aquifers and desalination) to produce eggs for the next 100,000 (one hundred thousand years) years, so no need to panic buy just yet.

Don't panic readers.

Even using Rhegheads ridiculous figure of 200L per egg (I think that must be every single drop used including for washing our vans, tractors and us at the end of each day) We have enough fresh water in the world (93,113 Cubic Kilometers surface water, not including aquifers and desalination) to produce eggs for the next 100,000 (one hundred thousand years) years, so no need to panic buy just yet.
    53 gallons of water to produce one egg is not my figure, I do not make these things up. It is official estimates by organisations who know what they are talking about.
    As always, if you are going to deny it then you are undermining your own position by being anti-science and anti-knowledge.

If you had gone to agricultural college and took notice then I am sure you would know the truth about farming eggs anyways...

Rheghead. You post 'headline' grabbing statements.

Some 'official' somewhere may have calculated that it uses 200L to produce an egg. However, if you understood the water cycle you would know that that 200L returns to ground and is used again and again

There is a finite water supply. all water is used then used again.

Even if it took 2 million gallons of water to produce an egg, it wouldn't matter as all that water goes back into the atmosphere or ground and can be used again. surely one of your scientific websites would have told you that?

So, I will reiterate, no need to panic, all the water agriculture uses is not 'gone', the Earth will get it back, as it will all the water contained within us, we are only 'borrowing' it for a few years.

Rheghead. You post 'headline' grabbing statements.

Some 'official' somewhere may have calculated that it uses 200L to produce an egg. However, if you understood the water cycle you would know that that 200L returns to ground and is used again and again

There is a finite water supply. all water is used then used again.

Even if it took 2 million gallons of water to produce an egg, it wouldn't matter as all that water goes back into the atmosphere or ground and can be used again. surely one of your scientific websites would have told you that?

So, I will reiterate, no need to panic, all the water agriculture uses is not 'gone', the Earth will get it back, as it will all the water contained within us, we are only 'borrowing' it for a few years.
    Water is a valuable resource, we all depend on it. It is only available to farmers at a minute portion of that water cycle which takes centuries to happen. You do not do your position justice by plucking out a figure from google and play around with a calculator to come up with some sort of quasi sustainable argument.

Do you concede that the 53 gallons per egg is a reasonable estimate?

The problem is that it doesn't rain every day here or anywhere else for that matter.
    I hadn't heard about the Reay drought.

Probably caused by windmills.

I have no idea if 53 gallons is reasonable. I can tell you what a hen drinks each day as all water is metered as it is the most important indicator of bird health.

You do not seem able to accept that whatever water is used, it is not 'gone' it is returned to the water cycle therefore whatever the figure is, it is in real terms irrelevant.

Do you accept that whatever the figure is, all the water is returned to ground to be used again?

Water is a valuable resource, we all depend on it. It is only available to farmers at a minute portion of that water cycle which takes centuries to happen
    I don't really have a horse in this race (or an egg in this basket) but the water cycle takes centuries to happen? Residence time may be centuries or even millennia, but it's a continuous cycle as in the sun lifts 505,000 km3/year and precipitation amounts to 505,000 km3/year .
    You get what you give

Back to original topic.....

I am interested in Rhegheads views on this lady reaching 117, eating three eggs a day (two of them raw) and having a dislike of fruit and vegetables.

With all the research you have previously posted, I would have thought this feat would have been impossible.

I look forward to reading your explanation for this. I know you wont use genetics in your answer as you already dismissed (ignored) that argument in your 'dairy' thread.

Birds' eggs formed a vital part of the nutritional mix for ancestral, Neolithic humans and eggs still do so, for modern humans, to this very day. Hooray for eggs and I'm not surprised the lady has reached 117 years young eating them.
    I have been helping to look after a friend's small flock of chickens for some time now; (they have had to be kept in a large byre since the end of November due to the regulations over bird flu) but they usually live out of doors and are free range.
    I frequently laughed at Rheg's assertions over what it takes for chickens to lay but couldn't be bothered to post on the subject. They are certainly not drinking all that amount of water, (I know, because I give them their fresh water each day). Nobody is force feeding them anything (they receive a mixture of layers pellets and grain and as much green stuff as we can source for them and they have a shallow container with grit and shell that they can help themselves to, plus a container of dusty material so that they can dust bath) and they have been extremely happy and laying like crazy. The irony is that they used to spend all their time as outdoor chickens trying (annoyingly always under ones feet) to get into the byre to the grain sacks so we reckoned they should be happy to be in. However now, we think that they will be glad to go out again which is due to be allowed (hopefully) by the end of this month! Meantime, we continue to look after them and make sure that they are happy and healthy- which they are.

I have no idea if 53 gallons is reasonable. I can tell you what a hen drinks each day as all water is metered as it is the most important indicator of bird health.

You do not seem able to accept that whatever water is used, it is not 'gone' it is returned to the water cycle therefore whatever the figure is, it is in real terms irrelevant.

Do you accept that whatever the figure is, all the water is returned to ground to be used again?
    I'm telling you that the experts say that 53 gallons per egg is the amount of water required. If you think that the amount of water needed to create an egg is the amount that you run off from a tap for a hen to drink just demonstrates your ignorance.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast