Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eat eggs to live a long life

Well if you value science and its message then you will accept that animal agriculture is responsible for approximately 15-20% of greenhouse gases. You can cut your carbon footprint immensely by going vegan and you will reduce your chances of getting a heart attack, diabetes, cancer and a whole host of other afflictions. It won't take a scientific breakthrough to achieve, it won't take any money out of your pocket, it doesn't even take any effort and it won't take a political revolution to make it happen either. If it is so easy and so beneficial then why aren't we doing it already?
    I rest my case! In fact, I rest all of my cases and again note the use of 'we' in the above! No Rheghead, it's you and you alone (on here anyway), not the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Well if you value science and its message then you will accept that animal agriculture is responsible for approximately 15-20% of greenhouse gases. You can cut your carbon footprint immensely by going vegan and you will reduce your chances of getting a heart attack, diabetes, cancer and a whole host of other afflictions. It won't take a scientific breakthrough to achieve, it won't take any money out of your pocket, it doesn't even take any effort and it won't take a political revolution to make it happen either. If it is so easy and so beneficial then why aren't we doing it already?
    I rest my case! In fact, I rest all of my cases and again note the use of 'we' in the above! No Rheghead, it's you and you alone (on here anyway), not the rest of us.
    It is not just me though. Responsibility is not just resting on my shoulders for the good of the environment, it requires a collective response. There are 6 billion people on this planet. A surprisingly small proportion of that 6 billion are eating meat and dairy regularly. 30% of the land surface is used for animal agriculture. What happens when there are 12 billion people on the planet as is projected by later this century? Does that mean we just gorge our faces on meat and dairy and continue to have little regard for the billions of animals who go to slaughter and the billions of animals who are denied a habitat? When does it stop if we are to restore the damage to the Earth? Do we live out the mould in a petrie dish analogy?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

and continue to have little regard for the billions of animals who go to slaughter and the billions of animals who are denied a habitat? When does it stop if we are to restore the damage to the Earth? Do we live out the mould in a petrie dish analogy?
    Equally, do we continue to have little regard for the millions of animals that fall victim to their natural predators? (The destruction of garden birds by the UK's domestic cat population, for example- a bug bear with me)? It is nature so I guess we have to get used to it and accept it. You apparently do accept this natural order, so far as I can gather. It is just humans to whom you would deny eating animal products, even though as a species, we have evolved to be so successful because of this (because it has enabled us to thrive) and because of developing farming and animal husbandry.
    Many of the animals that are being denied a habitat are having that forced upon them due to the cultivation of a huge variety of crops, not due to the rearing of farm animals. That is one of those inconvenient truths. Sometimes, the crops being grown are for people in the affluent West (including you and I) while the poor and dis-empowered folk who live in those countries are malnourished and require food to be grown for their own consumption.
    Orgers like Goodfellers, have pointed out to you that things are not black and white but you will always, it seems by your nature, sieze upon doomsday, bleak scenarios because it suits your agenda when in fact no one knows what the future holds. There may or there may not be 12 billion people by the end of this century, I do not know, neither do you.
    What I do know is that nature and the planet have a way of fighting back and that in fact, despite everything humans are doing to cause harm in very many ways, good things are also happening. Humans are arrogant (well, some are), very often wrong and utterly puny in the face of nature and it is delusional to think otherwise or to assert as you do, that you can see all ends.
    I will give you a good example. I am now classed as old or at least, elderly. In my childhood and youth, the talk by scientists was all of an impending Ice Age. I remember being quite fearful of it (although not as much as I was about nuclear warfare). That is what science confidently predicted and look what has happened. However, it would only take a sustained and huge volcanic eruption (and there are plenty of active volcano contenders), throwing out enormous amounts of ash for the situation regarding climate to change again and cool rapidly. There would be absolutely nothing human beings could do about it and life would change for all species as a result but life would survive as it is infinitely resourceful. The point is that the planet will cope, even if humans do not and life continually changes and evolves- have you not grasped that?
    I certainly do not see a future that reduces life to mould in a petrie dish if that is what the line above is supposed to mean. Thankfully, I am optimistic and with good reason and there is no reason to give up animal husbandry and clearly, the majority of the inhabitants of this planet do not want it either. It aint going to happen however much you beat your drum. There are good things happening all around- in the UK (more trees than ever before, people caring passionately about their patch and doing their bit to improve biodiversity- I could go on and on). This is happening in many other regions of the world as well, alongside of the bad stuff- it is just that you will never see any good but have eyes only for the bad and I pity you.

I am getting eggasperated with this nonsense, I hate to call fowl but I think Rheg has cracked up and it's getting beyond the yolk.
    totally clucking mental
    Last edited by mi16; 05-May-17 at 09:38.
    W.A.T.P.

And here's another inconvenient truth for you. Many of the absolute rarest animals on the planet are having their very survival threatened either by the bush meat trade or the trade of their bodies for Chinese medicine- not by animal husbandry at all. Personally, I would rather that people slaughtered and ate a chicken from their own back yard than go out and buy the carcass of some rare monkey (or whatever) from a market where bush meat is on sale, perpetuating this awful 'trade'. I would certainly rather see chickens for sale at the market than what is currently there despite, in many instances, the sale of bush meat being completely illegal.
    But you know what is making a difference? Education and local effort on the ground that is what, not lecturing people on the evils of eating meat.

Name:  animated_hammer-tapping.gif
Views: 300
Size:  2.6 KB I think this says it all Rheghead (please note the GREEN hammer, I know how it's your favorite colour!)

Well I have the same water in me as the Dinosaurs had in them.

Sweet Jebus don't set him off again!!!
    W.A.T.P.

just another reason to not eat eggs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40841411
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thankfully, free range and organic eggs from happy hens are readily available in Caithness and throughout the UK. British consumers have the good sense to overwhelmingly choose eggs produced in this country and very good they are too.

I feel another Edwina Currie moment coming on!!
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345