Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Westminster warmongering

Default Westminster warmongering

The ink has barely had time to dry on the letter to Donald Tusk to trigger Article 50 and the tories have already claimed the Theresa May would use military force to defend Gibraltar. The EU is meant to stop wars from happening and now it seems we are on a war footing. The EU is right, an agreement with Spain has to be made before all other negotiations can happen. Nobody wants to go back to the days when the border could be closed and Gibraltar relies on airlifts like West Berlin.

I thought we had grown up from all this colonialist mindset?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...d=tmg_share_fb
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Ask any Gibraltarian if they don't want a few extra troops to be stationed there, I think you would find they would be all for it.
    As for Berlin type air lifts, don't be daft, Gibraltar has sea access, Berlin was land locked.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Ask any Gibraltarian if they don't want a few extra troops to be stationed there, I think you would find they would be all for it.
    As for Berlin type air lifts, don't be daft, Gibraltar has sea access, Berlin was land locked.
    We aren't dealing with communist states or fascist dictators here, I think you will find that Spain is a fully functional democracy and a fully signed up member on the latest suite of human rights.

Tell the Gibraltarians that signed up to the same suite of human rights as the Spanish, yet Spain still wants to annex them. I'm with the Gibratarians, we want to stay in the Uk .
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Tell the Gibraltarians that signed up to the same suite of human rights as the Spanish, yet Spain still wants to annex them. I'm with the Gibratarians, we want to stay in the Uk .
    Human rights has nothing to do with national territorial rights.

Spain and go and sit on it and spin

Attack is the best defence.

Should i oil the old SLR and dust off my green beret. Here we go again same old drum beaters ,will we never learn.

UK citizens should boycott Spanish Holliday's then we would see the Spanish squirm . the Spanish have never won a war.

Let the Gibratarians decide it with another referendum.....

Today's Gibraltarians have the right to self determination under International law in accordance with the UN International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. They exercised that right in the referendum of 7 November 2002 when they were asked "Do you approve of the principle that Britain and Spain should share sovereignty over Gibraltar?" Over 98% of the vote said “No.” My thoughts are that if a similar referendum was to be held next week the result would be the same, the population of Gibraltar wish to remain ‘British’.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Those of us who have served in HM FORCES and have been to GIBRALTAR on a RN WARSHIP I can state that the vast majority of GIBRALTARIANS wish to stay with Britain

Why is everybody getting their knickers in such a twist, for the love of pete? The situation with Spain is not one iota different to the one with Ireland. We are heading out of the EU, but two areas of UK territory have borders with two countries still in the EU. The relationship between Ireland/NI has been specifically mentioned as needing to be decided (and Ireland has a veto over that) so why do you all think that Spain does not have exactly the same right? The only ones sabre rattling are the nutters in the UK.

The UK parliament is quite rightly voicing it's unequivocal support for it's citizens in Gibraltar- support which was immediately sought by the parliament in Gibraltar itself in the light of the EU's position, stating that a Brexit finalised deal will not necessarily apply to 'The Rock' except by the consent of Spain. So there is nothing 'nutty' about it. This is actually different to the situation in Ireland where the difficulty lies with the position over the border and not with the terms of Brexit nor of sovereignty itself. Spain has seen an opportunity and is 'having a go' over Gibraltar and definitely seeking to use the people there (who actually all want to stay in the UK and have belonged since the early 18th C) as a bargaining chip and no wonder they are upset about it.

The Falkland Islands.......should the UK keep Colonies like this. The costs to the British people is astronomical.....just look at the War that was fought!
    Every several hundreds of years there is a re defining of Boundaries.......another one is Crimea....shorter time.
    It was Russian, but with a stroke of a pen they lost it. And they took it back....from reading it seems that Crimea is happy with Russia....
    Does the U.K. Support Gibraltar financially?

Why shouldn't Gibraltar and the Falklands get to remain British if they want to?
    we voted to stay and were allowed to remain so why not them
    Last edited by mi16; 04-Apr-17 at 07:40.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Why shouldn't Gibraltar and the Falklands get to drain British if they want to?
    we voted to stay and were allowed to remain so why not them
    I suppose.......

obviously the word drain in my post was a badly placed typo
    W.A.T.P.