Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The uk wind industry is unsafe and should be shut down

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    It has been proven that wind and solar is 'much' more expensive than coal and oil.
    We have experienced it in North America.
    When a battery is at 0 degrees it loses 60% of its capacity. At 20 below it loses 65% of it's power.....and they will only last for approx 7 years...max.
    Batteries aren't used to store energy.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Tesla is using batteries.....and are building more Mega Factories....as is Panasonic.
    Documentary on an Island in Hawaii....show the batteries...massive...Cud be OK there, as there is no cold weather but elsewhere? .s

Just read that more 'Wind farms' are coming to your neck of the woods.....
    And I should clarify my comments about batteries.....Mostly they are used for solar, not windfarms.
    I read quite a bit and the general consensus is that more subsidies will be need for 'alternative' power than for coal/oil etc. Nuke is still frowned upon due to the problems that have occurred. It is said that a New Nuke system is being tested....one that will not melt down... who knows?!
    Just my opinion Rheg......
    Last edited by The Horseman; 25-Apr-17 at 01:38.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Tesla is using batteries.....and are building more Mega Factories....as is Panasonic.
    Documentary on an Island in Hawaii....show the batteries...massive...Cud be OK there, as there is no cold weather but elsewhere? .s

Just read that more 'Wind farms' are coming to your neck of the woods.....
    And I should clarify my comments about batteries.....Mostly they are used for solar, not windfarms.
    I read quite a bit and the general consensus is that more subsidies will be need for 'alternative' power than for coal/oil etc. Nuke is still frowned upon due to the problems that have occurred. It is said that a New Nuke system is being tested....one that will not melt down... who knows?!
    Just my opinion Rheg......
    I believe Tesla have a domestic battery but not aware of a national grid battery.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I see the Wind Power 'pot' is being sweetened.....

In reported road traffic accidents for the year ending March 2016:

there were 1,780 road deaths, unchanged from the year ending March 2015
    24,610 people were killed or seriously injured
    there were 187,050 casualties of all severities

Surely we should ban cars ?
    I kent his faither

https://www.healthandsafetyatwork.co...-safety-review

Absolutely correct when they say that:
    "These installations are usually in remote locations and there is a concern that these tragedies have not received the same focus if here had occurred in more populous areas."

Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

And exactly the same can be said about Dounreay, in fact that is why it was built here, because it did not matter if Caithness and half of Sutherland were blown off the map. Now how many people protested against that being built ?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    And exactly the same can be said about Dounreay, in fact that is why it was built here, because it did not matter if Caithness and half of Sutherland were blown off the map. Now how many people protested against that being built ?
    If your facts are to stand up surely they should also include the cradle to grave assessment , risk and deaths .Deaths from pollution, plant construction,material extraction and processing , energy consumed, transportation and lots more would see the total raise .

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    If your facts are to stand up
    Not my facts, Dounreay was built in a remote location in case of an explosion.

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/ind...rets.HMSVulcan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dounreay

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...mment.politics

http://www.internet-promotions.co.uk...reay/doun3.htm

From the last link - "Dounreay was chosen chiefly because of the assumed risk that, in the event of a catastrophic control system failure leading to core meltdown, a release of radioactivity to the environment was a likely consequence. This would result in the necessary evacuation of people living in the vicinity of the reactor, possibly within a radius of a few miles. The population density around Dounreay was very low, lower than that of West Cumbria. If it hadn't been, the fast reactor would have certainly gone to Windscale. To its credit, the UKAEA has never made any secret of its prime reason for coming to Caithness."

So, if you wish to carry out a cradle to grave assessment, feel free. I don't feel the need to.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Not my facts, Dounreay was built in a remote location in case of an explosion.
    Quite right - it was in case the reactor could not be controlled once it started.

That's one of the reasons that DFR is a sphere and there is what looks like a leg sticking out the back of it on the seaward side. When it was operational there were explosive charges in the leg to blow it away in case or emergency.... so DFR could roll into the sea and cool down

If people wear that which is designed to safeguard them, there would be few 'accidents'.....people are lazy. Management comes to life only when they get large fines for not supervising their workers. Then they ensurs that in the case of heights....safety harness.

Are the really large companies better at safety do you think? I commonly see workers from the small firms (on roofs, for example and without a safety line) doing stuff that looks inherently un-safe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Are the really large companies better at safety do you think? I commonly see workers from the small firms (on roofs, for example and without a safety line) doing stuff that looks inherently un-safe to me.
    I certainly believe so, yes. Its about safety culture, which the big companies tend to promote and enforce, smaller companies generally don't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    I certainly believe so, yes. Its about safety culture, which the big companies tend to promote and enforce, smaller companies generally don't do this.
    Yes, same with us....in North America. Here the fines can be rather substantial for harness, lack of work boot, hard hats etc.

Default Rheg

You may be correct about the windfarms. Seems like they are being built everywhere and they say the more that is built the cheaper the price to the consumer....
    Gosh I may have to 'eat' my Words...s

Quote Originally Posted by Camra View Post
    In reported road traffic accidents for the year ending March 2016:

there were 1,780 road deaths, unchanged from the year ending March 2015
    24,610 people were killed or seriously injured
    there were 187,050 casualties of all severities

Surely we should ban cars ?
    Just ban their batteries, so they won't start.

Another one bites the Dust. Wonder will they be saved by Gov't money?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12