Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The uk wind industry is unsafe and should be shut down

Default The uk wind industry is unsafe and should be shut down

March 2017 has sadly seen two fatalities in the wind industry - both in Scotland. Both involved falls from height of several hundred feet, with both workers pronounced dead at the scene. HSE are involved and I believe that the time is right for HSE to shut down all construction and maintenance operations at height until they come up with a revised set of safe working instructions for the industry.

Looking back, there have been 13 wind industry associated fatalities in the past 10 years, including those in March 2017, and all from separate incidents. I believe that this is an appalling statistic and one which should be used to seriously challenge the safety standards of the industry. 4 of those fatalities involved falls from height.

Strangely enough the press have barely reported the recent fatalities - if it was the nuclear industry the press would be having a field day, and no doubt the Green Party would be leading the charge to close it down. The greens have been very quiet about recent events - most likely avoiding the issue completely. As we all know, Patrick "yes Nicola anything you want" Harvie has less of a backbone than the average lumbricus terrestris.

I say it's time to shut down the UK wind industry before someone else is killed.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

I have looked into studies of Industrial Accidents, and it is predominantly the workers failure to abide by the rules as set out, that causes the accidents. It got so bad in North America that extra Safety Officials were brought in to rectify the prob. Fines for the worker and the company.
    An example which is not workplace related, but shows how a simple thing can cause loss of life....
    In offshore Sailing, when one is exiting the Sailboat cabin, one is supposed to have a short lifeline which is attached to an area just inside the boat. When one exits the boat and before they undo that first lifeline they should attach another in the Cockpit of the boat, so that at all times they are secure.
    Sometimes this is not done, and for a brief moment they are unsecured and that is when the Rogue Wave sends you flying around, and on occasion out of the boat.
    Same with heights.....how many times do you see men working on roofs with no lifeline. Their are protocols for nearly every action at a few feet above the ground.....in the late 70's I was assisting on Tower Cranes.......men would be 'walking the boom', sometimes 200 feet long and the same height above the ground, unsecured. I saw it the other day at a construction site...Famous last words....Oh I don't need that. I won't fall!
    Just my thoughts.

When the culprit has fallen 300ft and is decidely deceased a severe fine will stop him from doing it again.

Surely if saving lives was our main concern then we should be shutting down industries which have far more fatalities like farming and fishing until they get a set of safe working practices for their industry?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thats the way to do it. No more farming or fishing, we will all be eating grass like the previous demented poster.

More than ten workers have died on Balfour sites in the last seven years eight of them involving plant movement so should we halt all construction then

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    March 2017 has sadly seen two fatalities in the wind industry - both in Scotland. Both involved falls from height of several hundred feet, with both workers pronounced dead at the scene. HSE are involved and I believe that the time is right for HSE to shut down all construction and maintenance operations at height until they come up with a revised set of safe working instructions for the industry.

Looking back, there have been 13 wind industry associated fatalities in the past 10 years, including those in March 2017, and all from separate incidents. I believe that this is an appalling statistic and one which should be used to seriously challenge the safety standards of the industry. 4 of those fatalities involved falls from height.

Strangely enough the press have barely reported the recent fatalities - if it was the nuclear industry the press would be having a field day, and no doubt the Green Party would be leading the charge to close it down. The greens have been very quiet about recent events - most likely avoiding the issue completely. As we all know, Patrick "yes Nicola anything you want" Harvie has less of a backbone than the average lumbricus terrestris.

I say it's time to shut down the UK wind industry before someone else is killed.

As Reported in the Daily Telegraph........construction worker has died and another man was injured in an accident on the new £1.4 billion Queensferry Crossing.

So does this mean the new Bridge over the Forth should Closed Down. I do not think so.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

over 25,000 were killed during the construction of the Panama canal.We most definately should have it shut down, anyone willing to spearhead the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    over 25,000 were killed during the construction of the Panama canal. We most definitely should have it shut down, anyone willing to spearhead the campaign?
    I Know someone who would be suitable for this Position as he seems to want everything he does not like closed down.......Green_not_Greed.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

One cannot close/ blackout from any project that risk life for bringing ease to millions around. Yes we need to improve on safety standards and procedures, forcefully implement when ever required....

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Faulkner View Post
    One cannot close/ blackout from any project that risk life for bringing ease to millions around. Yes we need to improve on safety standards and procedures, forcefully implement when ever required....
    You are correct......more inspections/inspectors, and when their is 'an accident' Management must be held responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Management must be held responsible.
    Yes, if it's their fault.

Generally on a work site their are Supervisors/Foremen. Part of their responsibility is to ensure all safety codes are adhered to, on behalf of the Company. They are the eyes of the Company. I think that is a generally held principle?

Shop floor level workers who cause accidents can be held responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Shop floor level workers who cause accidents can be held responsible.
    Seems the original poster was talking about people falling from heights....as I mentioned Safety Harnesses should/must be worn. A couple of weeks ago I was watching a Tower Crane being erected and no one was wearing a harness.
    100 feet up and they were all 'boom walking' as usual. And then when someone falls there is a ' big to do' about it.

On a lighter side.......I sailed to the Azores from New York in a 34 ft sailboat and you can always tell a male sailor...he looks as if he has been wearing a bra'. Bare chested with white bits! Where the harness was!

Now that in 2016 wind energy generation in the UK has over-taken coal energy generation, our electricity has now a higher safety footprint because we are less reliant on coal mining which has a huge problem over safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-carbon-taxes
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Now that in 2016 wind energy generation in the UK has over-taken coal energy generation, our electricity has now a higher safety footprint because we are less reliant on coal mining which has a huge problem over safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-carbon-taxes
    now that in 2017 we're only interested in up-to-date reports :-)

The world is unsafe but you don't see keyboard warriors wanting to shut that down.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

What a load of crap, lets do with out oil and gas, and while we're at it shut down the armed forces, and for god sake dont leave your house.! Make sure you have no power in the house either. Never read such crap for a good while.

It has been proven that wind and solar is 'much' more expensive than coal and oil.
    We have experienced it in North America.
    When a battery is at 0 degrees it loses 60% of its capacity. At 20 below it loses 65% of it's power.....and they will only last for approx 7 years...max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast