Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wind/ Solar Power

Brazil is another who has run out of money for windpower.
    Renova Energia a Brazilian Company controlled by South Africa were building a 'compound of windfarms' and have stopped work as the money ran out. They are attempting to get money, but the losses are climbing these past few years. s

Been reading a bit about 'renewable power'. It would appear that no Company can continue with this means of powered electrical generation, without Gov't Grants....OR a dramatic increase in the costs to the customers. (Really the same thing).
    The large Conglomarates are pushing ahead with his 'new' idea, as there are magnificent profits for them...at the present time. When these free monies disappear, in the not too distant future/ in 20/30 years there will be 'rusting giants across the Nations.
    Reuters!

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Been reading a bit about 'renewable power'. It would appear that no Company can continue with this means of powered electrical generation, without Gov't Grants....OR a dramatic increase in the costs to the customers. (Really the same thing).
    The large Conglomarates are pushing ahead with his 'new' idea, as there are magnificent profits for them...at the present time. When these free monies disappear, in the not too distant future/ in 20/30 years there will be 'rusting giants across the Nations.
    Reuters!
    Maybe the utilities could use some of the £2 billion they are charging customers to fund the smart meter programme . Also try passing on the extra 5% a year in hidden meter charges thereafter and use it to help renewables . Yet again Westminster is feeding the Fat Cat Monster from the table of the poor .

VERY WELL PUT,

We in Ontario, Canada have had Smart Meters for approx 5 years and they are now abandoning those in rural areas, as they are quite inaccurate. So they will be sending people out to read them (36,000) .....wow.....I remember when they did that!
    In fact they are doing away with them across Canada.....probs were fire, exploding, wrong data being transmitted and general probs. Included were the Pulsed Microwave Radiation.......Several million were installed but the power companies found there to be No Reduction in consumption!
    In British Columbia they are removing 88,000.
    Now back to electrical powered vehicles......In Toronto the Transit Commission have totally given up on battery powered buses.....too many probs......back to Internal Combustion!

British Columbia smart meter myth buster.

Myth: Smart meters will transfer money from customers' pockets to big corporations through higher rates.

Fact: BC Hydro's Smart Metering Program will pay for itself through reduced theft of electricity, energy savings and operating efficiencies, and will deliver $520 million in net benefits over 20 years. Since BC Hydro is a publically owned utility, all of these savings will be passed on to our customers – keeping rates lower than they otherwise would be without the program.

Myth: Smart meters emit high levels of microwave radiation.

Fact: Smart meters do not emit any microwave radiation. They communicate using radio frequency, which is a different type of electromagnetic field than microwave.

Myth: Like a cell phone, smart meters transmit signals 24/7.

Fact: Unlike cell phones, smart meters communicate for only minutes per day and remain in a fixed location, so they do not need to constantly search for a signal.

Myth: Smart meters will emit high levels of radio frequency radiation into my home.

Fact: Smart meters communicate using an extremely low, infrequent, and short signal. Radio frequency signals from smart meters are much lower than the signal from common everyday devices such as radios, baby monitors and even the spark plugs in your car.

Myth: BC Hydro has not researched the health effects of radio frequency.

Fact: The potential effects of radio frequency have been carefully investigated around the world. Many reputable health authorities, such as the World Health Organization and Health Canada, have conducted thorough reviews of all of the different types of studies and research on electromagnetic fields and health and have determined that there is no cause-effect relationship between exposure to radio frequency and human health.

Myth: Smart meters can be easily “hacked".

Fact: Smart meters use data encryption similar to that used by online banking systems. BC Hydro has not, and will not, deploy anything on the system until we are fully confident issues of privacy and security are properly addressed.

Myth: Smart meters will allow BC Hydro to know when I’m at home and what appliances or electronic devices I am using.

Fact: At no time will BC Hydro have access to any customer's real-time consumption data. Only customers who choose to take advantage of in-home feedback devices will have access to real-time consumption data in the privacy of their own homes. All personal information collected is handled in accordance with the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Myth: Smart meters mean job losses.

Fact: The Smart Metering Program will create new technology jobs to maintain and operate the smart metering system. In addition, the installation of the new meters will create approximately 350 jobs and generate $30 to $40 million in direct wages.

Myth: Smart meters are a fire hazard.

Fact: The risk of smart meters causing electrical problems is the same as the extremely low risk that exists with today’s meters. This is because the smart meter measures electricity - it does not use it. In fact, smart meters provide an additional level of protection because the meter will “take the hit” rather than allow electricity surges to travel into the customer's premise.

Myth: BC Hydro has been installing smart meters since 2008.

Fact: Smart meters will not be installed until the summer of 2011. Currently some customers have meters with a digital display that look similar to smart meters. However, their internal components are very different.

http://thenelsondaily.com/news/techn...7#.WNf5wKK1vIU
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

We are surely looking at different info.......
    Several of your comments are legit, but there are 3 sides to this story.....The Gov't., the people who have had probs and then there is something in the middle.
    One of the big advantages of a Smart meter is that at the flick of a switch they can cut people off....This was one of the main reasons for Smart Meters. Get behind on your Bill.....cut off the electricity. It has become so bad in Ontario that the Gov't has gone to Court to force Ontario Power Generation to re connect those without power. Can u imagine it being 25 below zero and no heat!
    The electrical companies have alterior motives for helping the Public!!
    ********I now see where u got ur facts.....BC Hydro news releases...........

And B.C. Hydro has yet to report any savings, mind you they have many contests and spending million of dollars on promotional material. In. 2013 there were

So the bottom line is.....They can quickly disconnect anyone who is overdue on their Electric bill!....
    Just found the proper wording for cutting people off.....AN OPEARTIONAL EFFICIENCY! The Smart Meter reports in 48 times per day.
    In 2013 there were 5,000 disconnections...In 2016 there were over 30,000...Ccccolde eh.....
    Last edited by The Horseman; 26-Mar-17 at 22:05.

On the plus side, if it takes seconds to cut off a customer then it can also take seconds to reconnect a customer when the bill is settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    On the plus side, if it takes seconds to cut off a customer then it can also take seconds to reconnect a customer when the bill is settled.
    Yes I agree with you there....I can see both sides of this.....I am not a Softie, but have seen people in desperate states, whether it be due to their own fault or someone else's. And perhaps for a few months they cannot make ends meet. Fortunately I have never been in that situation, but I have to admit that our 'support system' is not the best...In my 'job' I have seen those without Hydro...Altho' most of our Furnaces are Gas, the central heating systems are powered by electricity.......no power no heat.

I do like the saying at the bottom of your page......so true....s

Was just reading in the Press and J that there are big plans for more Wind Power.....
    A plan is afoot to build a huge wind farm in Moray which will power the whole North of Scotland. Also for floating windmills off Melvich and elsewhere.
    So maybe I was wrong.....it seems that whatever is the 'flavour of the Week/Month, the Press shout out loudly about it.
    And some say the costs are too high.
    What will be, will be!

But what does show up is the continuing Gov't subsidies, and the increase in the cost of such power.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 08-Apr-17 at 23:19.

Seemingly wind and solar power are cheaper than coal now.

Trump has 'ungreened' America....they are going back to coal.

Trump may be keen on coal but will the energy companies reciprocate? If they are selling electricity at price X and they have to buy in energy from generators that have higher costs then where does that leave the ungreening of the USA? At the end of the day, it is all about making money and cutting costs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12