Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Scotland Be An Independent Country?

Default Should Scotland Be An Independent Country?

The time has come to ask the question again. What are your thoughts on today's announcement?

Aye? Naw? Or Mibbies Aye Mibbies Naw?

NAW the snp had their chance, they have broken the Police, the Fire Service, Nursing, and Education, need I go on?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Nicola has announced her intention to be independent.....she says give her a bit over a year, and she can do it. Onwards and upwards/downwards....?
    And will Sir Sean be able to give money officially, or will he have to 'slide it in the Back Door'?
    Last edited by The Horseman; 14-Mar-17 at 01:57.

Win/Win situation really...

Independence Yes: Goal Achieved

Independence No: A better deal for Scotland from Brexit thanks to all the promises made to ensure a No vote.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Win/Win situation really...

Independence Yes: Goal Achieved

Independence No: A better deal for Scotland from Brexit thanks to all the promises made to ensure a No vote.

Aye, right, Alrock. We've already seen how much Westminster promises are worth when the time comes to put their actions where their words were.

True Alrock but I would rather a resignation from May when she loses rather than Nicola.

Didn't know Sean was into slipping it in the back door Horseman

What was it in the words of Tracy Ullman ... "If she wants independence, I will make her head independent from her body" - even a Yes voter like me had to laugh at that one.

I'm not sure what the First Minister is offering. She appears to have linked the independence referendum to some vague measurement of how hard a Brexit has been negotiated in two years time.

The Prime Minister said Brexit means Brexit so whether it's hard, soft or in between is neither here nor there.

So come on Nicola, I'm ready to vote now. Why have an extended agony for another two years!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    NAW the snp had their chance, they have broken the Police, the Fire Service, Nursing, and Education, need I go on?
    Seems like they are getting another chance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

So, when is Sturgeon actually going to start running the country ? 2018? 19? 20? I do hope she is paying for this ridiculous farce out of her own pocket, she gets paid enough.

I'm not worried either way (not much!). We all know that an Independence referendum in Scotland is a 'once in a generation' thing and I have since learned that in Scotland, this means that because the bairns mature so fast, this is every 3 to 4 years. So hey, it doesn't matter which way it goes 'cos as sure as eggs is eggs, (oh no, don't mention eggs!), another one will soon come along again and I reckon at this rate, there are quite a few more yet to be fitted in before I'm pushing up the daisies.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    So, when is Sturgeon actually going to start running the country ? 2018? 19? 20? I do hope she is paying for this ridiculous farce out of her own pocket, she gets paid enough.
    So when is Theresa May actually going to start running the country? 2018? 19? 20? I hope she's paying for this ridiculous [Brexit] farce out of her own pocket, she gets paid enough. That sounds just as logical as your remark, cptdodger.

Neither of them are one man bands....because if they were, the UK and Scotland would both be dictatorships. Both of them have a parliament which has to agree the bills they put forward, ministers, who share the load of running the country on the lines dictated by the bills, advisors who offer possibilities for policies and the impact on the economy/population, and civil servants to do the work of implementing the policies they, along with their respective cabinets, have decided to present for action.

Scotland is being run pretty well, imo, although I don't agree with all the SG does......, but you can't deny that there are currently seven bills going through Holyrood, or that there was debate on around 86 bills in the last Parliament, despite having the first indyref taking up, by your way of thinking, all the time from 2012 to 2014.

If you actually believe that Nicola Sturgeon is personally responsible for everything done in Holyrood....and don't believe that Theresa May is personally responsible for everything which goes on in Westminster....then I guess you believe that Scottish women are very much superior to Scottish men, who have never been held personally responsible for running the country(probably because they are not expected to multi-task).....and superior to their English equivalents.

I think the prime-minister should get on with the day job and the Brexit negotiations instead of obsessing about another Scottish independence referendum.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

aye i think scotland so go it alone

How would we finance it?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    How would we finance it?
    Tax the rich!

"The rich" will be everyone who pays any tax.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Tax the rich!

"The rich" will be everyone who pays any tax.
    do you mean personal taxation or from industry taxation?
    Obviously all people pay tax, but the oil revenue is basically wiped out and then there is all the other major business (finance etc) that have said they will look to relocate from an indepandant Scotland.

You are of course correct, the people of Scotland will be taxed out of their backsides to pay for the NATS dream of FREEDOM all the while desperately trying to get back into a Brussels controlled union which will see us forced to adopt all the rules and regs that any new member state faces.
    W.A.T.P.

The SIS and MI5 won't let that happen....they had tactically divided the nations resources that make the decision unsustainable

You are of course correct, the people of Scotland will be taxed out of their backsides to pay for the NATS dream of FREEDOM all the while desperately trying to get back into a Brussels controlled union which will see us forced to adopt all the rules and regs that any new member state faces.

Hey, no worries! All those rich and famous ex-pat Scots who live in other places like err... England will come flooding back to pay their whack and we'll all be fine. I expect we're all looking forward so much to joining the euro, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post

Hey, no worries! All those rich and famous ex-pat Scots who live in other places like err... England will come flooding back to pay their whack and we'll all be fine. I expect we're all looking forward so much to joining the euro, aren't we?
    I cannot wait.
    On the bright side, there are lots of nuclear jobs in England coming up soon(ish)
    W.A.T.P.

sure they have
    W.A.T.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast