Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Which road in Caithness is in the worst condition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which road in Caithness is in the worst condition

How bad must the conditions of Caithness roads get before PROPER repairs are carried out,
    I don't mean a spray of white paint or a few cones (the powers that be think that cones are good for stopping busses falling of a crumbling road)
    You tell us which road is the worst.
    Last edited by gaza; 12-Mar-17 at 21:14.

Default worst road

seriously, think there are too many bad roads to mention

Quote Originally Posted by gaza View Post
    How bad must the conditions of Caithness roads get before PROPER repairs are carried out,
    I don't mean a spray of white paint or a few cones (the powers that be think that cones are good for stopping busses falling of a crumbling road)
    I don't know which road is worse but,

Could there be a proper reason why the roads are not being repaired just now? Perhaps something to do with temperature, salinity or just a lack of daylight hours? I don't know what the answer is but it seems to me that if the council need to fix the problem in Caithness then they either have to increase the budget; reallocate more money to Caithness within the budget from another area or improve the efficiency of the repair methods. I suppose the best method would be to increase the overall budget but where is the money going to come from? Increase local taxation? Squeeze the budget from another area, say policing? Increase taxation with new powers with income tax? Or beg for more money from Westminster? Now it gets too political and fanciful. Oh yes, I forgot, we were just talking about the roads!

How do you prefer the council should manage the problem with actions and a fully costed solution?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Killimster Moss!

Large numbers of heavy trucks transporting wind turbine parts are one of the root causes. I believe that following award to construct the windfarm, the companies promise to pay HRC to repair all roads which they damage during the construction phase. I'd be interested to know if those sums of money are actually used to repair Caithness roads or whether its all sitting in some Inverness project ? Perhaps one of our Councillors could look into this ?

GNG
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Large numbers of heavy trucks transporting wind turbine parts are one of the root causes. I believe that following award to construct the windfarm, the companies promise to pay HRC to repair all roads which they damage during the construction phase. I'd be interested to know if those sums of money are actually used to repair Caithness roads or whether its all sitting in some Inverness project ? Perhaps one of our Councillors could look into this ?

GNG
    Yes those wind turbine parts are constantly on the move.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Yes those wind turbine parts are constantly on the move.
    They wont make much leccy if not
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Large numbers of heavy trucks transporting wind turbine parts are one of the root causes.
    Wow, talk about obsessive...! Have you any idea just how polluted your views are?

If you're genuinely wanting to apportion blame then how about you point the finger at offenders like log lorries or Gunn's lorries which are persistently on the Caithness roads? Of course, that doesn't suit your anti-Green agenda...

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    Wow, talk about obsessive...! Have you any idea just how polluted your views are?

If you're genuinely wanting to apportion blame then how about you point the finger at offenders like log lorries or Gunn's lorries which are persistently on the Caithness roads? Of course, that doesn't suit your anti-Green agenda...
    Interesting....if there is ever a complaint about lorries in Caithness, the general comment is Gunn's lorries. Arn't there Stevens and many more. At least Gunn's are doing work in the County which is necessary......and I bet they pay huge Road/Excise Tax, which is collected by the Government, but never goes back into Road care/repairs....over the past year Gunn's lorries have been condemned many times for the destruction of the roads. The roads were never prepared/intended for such weights. Most Countries dig down and put in enough fill, especially like the Causewaymire, which is in fact what it is...a mire of soft peat. I have seen how the roads are prepared in Caithness and the North........a few inches of hard core and then another thin layer of tar.......and this is what is provided by the Local Councils. They decree what the specs are for the surface.....
    Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post

Pot kettle black-talk about a slanted view - jees !!!

The point I was making is that Highland Council have taken a bunch of money from Caithness and Sutherland wind farm developers and that it doesn't seem to be coming back to repair our roads. It was a go at the council not the developers.

Incidentally the majority of log lorries are transporting logs from huge swathes of what was once forest, now destined for wind turbines to be built. And many of the Gunns lorries transport the base material for turbine foundations.

This is still a go at the Council. Why aren't they repairing the damaged roads with what they have already been paid ????????????????
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by gaza View Post
    whatever road your pushing your old railway station wheelbarrow down at the time ( it's the old steel wheel type) .

The road to independence seems to be the worst one at the moment, leading to wreck and ruin according to the naysayers

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    The road to independence seems to be the worst one at the moment, leading to wreck and ruin according to the naysayers
    Its Westminster that already bought us all a ticket on the TITANIC to a promised TRUMPLAND , just follow the Tory brick road. The Tories are paddling the lifeboats full of LOOT in the opposite direction . Surely we cant be fooled again into voting NO. There's a saying "Once bitten twice stupid" the Tories always knew the Scots are stupid.