Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentalina replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    That would be bound under UK employment law same as you or I
    Absolutely, same wages etc but extra costs in hotels etc
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Absolutely, same wages etc but extra costs in hotels etc
    Hqve I missed the local tunnel building squad?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I know that, I don't believe it could have been done for £100m back then either
    i mean the Scottish Parliament building cost £414 million back then and it is just a building.
    And the Edinburgh trams. Some say they're not even in a tunnel.

I was involved in the building of this tunnel https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindhead_Tunnel, the tunnel section is 1.14 miles and cost £142 000 per yard; I doubt there will ever be a tunnel to South Ronaldsay, it'll cost billions at today's rates.

Personally, I would rather have the ferry and the money 'saved' from the tunnel building scheme spent on many other worthy things! However, since there never was going to be a tunnel, it seems a bit pointless to even be saying this, doesn't it?

I'd like to comment that the user 'gillsbay' has no affiliation with Pentland Ferries. This is the only account that we use and therefore the comments of the user 'gillsbay' should not be taken as the comments of Pentland Ferries.

So what are the official comments of Pentland Ferries on the delivery date for the new catamaran?

The Pentalina is not so old. Why the need for a new one?

More capacity we understand. And the old one is starting to get a bit scabby round the edges. Maybe some maintenance wouldn't go amiss....

More capacity required is good news.

After a month in operation, the new boat, the Alfred seems to be very well received. Some teething issues that could do with getting resolved - The bits of rope to hold the doors open rather than the magnetic catches, the trays that fall through the chrome rails in front of the serving hatch, the tremendous noise of the bow thrusters. But all in all, an improvement.

Seems all is not so well in the Northlink camp however;

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/calmac-la...-legal-action/

Some choice words from Jamie Halcro-Johnston, the Highlands and Islands MSP;

"Highlands and Islands MSP Jamie Halcro Johnston slammed the SNP and said this legal action by the government-owned CalMac will lead to more uncertainty and delay for travellers.
    He said: “When factored in with the completely unacceptable delays with the two new ferries being built, the delays on reducing fares to Orkney and Shetland and its refusal to meet its pledge on fair funding for inter-island ferries this really is turning into a fiasco.
    “People in the islands want assurances that these vital links will be secure and that improvements to the service will start to get underway. But with the SNP in sole charge of transport for more than 12 years, things just keep getting worse.
    “This is what happens when you have a nationalist government completely distracted by the constitution.”

you could always move to the mainland...but then you would have to suffer the crappy train and bus services...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    you could always move to the mainland...but then you would have to suffer the crappy train and bus services...
    I’ve never known orkneycadian to have anything positive to say about anything.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Yes I agree

He usually prefers sarcasm and put downs to saying anything good about anything
    Just like his comments on the new boat, improvement but...... but....... but......

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Thank you to everyone at Caithness market yesterday who put coins in the bucket for the local RBLS. The sum of £76 was raised
    @ 0122 24/11/19, in the thread "Thank You"

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Well done Fran!
    @ 2228 4/12/19, in the thread "Thank You"

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I’ve never known orkneycadian to have anything positive to say about anything.
    @ 1127 on 5/12/19

I guess you don't read all the threads then?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12