Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: All looking forward to paying Highland Council £30 a year to empty your brown bin....

Default All looking forward to paying Highland Council £30 a year to empty your brown bin....

wonder what we'll be suckered into paying for next....

From the Highland Council facebbok page. "Garden waste collections begin again on 27th Feb. From 1st July they'll be £30 annual charge for uplifts. Details available nearer the time"

Absolutely ridiculous! This will encourage fly tipping, then the Council will be complaining about the cost of clearing it away. I sincerely hope at the next Council elections this useless bunch of so called Councillors get voted out. Who's the Highland Council budget leader?
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous! This will encourage fly tipping, then the Council will be complaining about the cost of clearing it away. I sincerely hope at the next Council elections this useless bunch of so called Councillors get voted out. Who's the Highland Council budget leader?
    Caithness Councillors have little or no influence on what happens in the way of recycling and certainly none on the charging costs . So voting to remove them is just silly, get together with others and arrange a meeting with Dave Barron CEO and tell him directly. He's was also the guy that was behind the ill fated CHaP project. It's the thin edge of a wedge and it's only the start of the charging to collect your waste . Best of luck.

PS it's well past the time that Inverness City Council is separate from the Highlands Area . The Highland area should have three area councils Highland South ,Central and North . All should share services and work in the interests of its people and not be controlled by a ivory tower Inverness elite . Inversneckie suck the lifeblood out of rural areas services to stoke the ego's of city chiefs .
    Last edited by Recycle it; 25-Feb-17 at 11:35.

Do you have to pay it if you don't have a brown bin? I have always used a composter.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Do you have to pay it if you don't have a brown bin? I have always used a composter.
    You would only pay if " the man in the Yellow Council van, takes your garden wate away" .

I phoned the council about this yesterday to ask how it will work.

They don`t know yet.

I currently have two brown bins in the garden and they are not emptied every fortnight as we have a mulching mower.I asked about the council taking them away if I am not going to use them but they didn`t think they could do that.......I am going to be left with other folk using the bins which did not bother me before as I was not paying and having to pay for their rubbish to be removed.

I think the recycling centre will soon have a pile of brown bins.

Somebody has thought this a good idea, just did not think out the practicalities of it before hand.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Charging for blue bins will come in soon i think, why not just increase council tax by 20 quid a year, after all brown bin waste depends on if you have a garden and how much you fill the bin up, people in flats, in general do not have a lot of brown bin waste. What about a basket in your blue bin for glass, down south has them why not us

Less than 10p per day by my calculations.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Less than 10p per day by my calculations.
    Or £1.50 per collection based on 20 collections per year.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I have always said this and I think it makes sense. With technology nowadays, why doesn't the Highland Council hold all their meetings and conferences via Skype? This way it will save on travelling expenses and the Councillors can stay in the comfort of their own homes.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    I have always said this and I think it makes sense. With technology nowadays, why doesn't the Highland Council hold all their meetings and conferences via Skype? This way it will save on travelling expenses and the Councillors can stay in the comfort of their own homes.
    They say they're resistant to having meetings via skype in the same way people are resistant to reading books on a kindle. With council meetings however, you miss out on remuneration payments, days off work and travel and food expenses. It's a no-brainer to have council meetings in person when you come to think about it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycle it View Post
    Caithness Councillors have little or no influence on what happens in the way of recycling and certainly none on the charging costs .
    That's where your wrong.It was the councillors that approved it and i'm sure bill fernie chaired the meeting,And they set the charge at £30.

This is a win win for the council,If enough people pay for the service then it will pay for it self and if not they will just stop the service. Simple really. After all, This is not a service they have to provide unlike the general waste bins that you pay for through you tax.

So use it or lose it!

This is the headline news in the Courier today.
    I think it is unfair on folk who live in the towns anyway who may lack space to compost etc.
    If you live in the country, I think that there are more options open to you really. Garden waste, I find, rots down to nothing fairly quickly and feeds the microorganisms and insects and does not cause any environmental damage. Even sticks and wood rot eventually but harder to pile these up in a suburban garden where it may also look untidy.

You don't get a brown bin in my neck of the woods
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    You don't get a brown bin in my neck of the woods

More than welcome to have mine anytime :-)