Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: compost

Default compost

I just bought a compost bin. Not sure how to make best compost tho. Some one said not to put in too much grass clippings. help please.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    I just bought a compost bin. Not sure how to make best compost tho. Some one said not to put in too much grass clippings. help please.
    Hi Katarina

The trick is to make sure there is plenty of air in there. in bins it is difficult to turn the heap as you would in a loose one so you need to layer materials. The trouble with things like grass cuttings is that they don't let air in but they do help the heap heat up and work. If it is working without air it will just turn into a slime. IF you collect your kitchen waste separately and put it in in layers with your garden waste it should be fine. Don't compress the heap. Good compost is like a balanced diet. A bit of everything good.

thank you for that
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Thumbs up compost bins

check out Garden Organic website - really useful hints and tips - great info on composting.
    check out Waste Awareness web site too - all sorts of info on what to put in your bins.
    Last edited by pat; 19-May-07 at 16:06.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    check out Garden Organic website - really useful hints and tips - great info on composting.
    check out Waste Awareness web site too - all sorts of info on what to put in your bins.
    This one I guess: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga.../compost_2.php