Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planners Give Go-ahead to Major Thurso Hotel Scheme

Well said.......I was wondering if I had missed some important feature but it appears not, from what you and others have now said. I come back every 2 years or so and usually head to The Upper Deck. Were there Caravans there some time ago? Hopefully this will get the 'go ahead', as the area towards the water won't look so barren/bare......

Crayola.....are u just joking, or r u serious....I cannot decipher!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 12-Feb-17 at 00:58.

In terms of job quality for the town, would it be fair to say that this proposal just brings part-time work which comprises a reward which will be fixed just above minimum wage?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 12-Feb-17 at 11:22.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

No, it would not be fair to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander1 View Post
    No, it would not be fair to say that.
    That's great, it is not often hotel staff get a half decent wage like £12 per hour and the opportunity to work fulltime.

Best of luck, hope common sense prevails this time!
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

So if £12 per hour is a half decent wage then a decent wage must be £24 per hour. That might be ok in Rheghead country but I could not drag myself out of bed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander1 View Post
    So if £12 per hour is a half decent wage then a decent wage must be £24 per hour. That might be ok in Rheghead country but I could not drag myself out of bed for that.
    That is a pity if the new hotel business is going to pay a half decent wage of £12 per hour and people won't take those jobs because it is not enough.

Well Thurso will have its pick of hotels shortly. I see the surveyers are looking at the old foundry and the field at the front in the mall for a 100 bed development with parking and multi halls for wedding . They are just waiting for the proposed seaside hotel to get the go ahead and set the president. If you open the door you can't stop others for taking the opportunity to make the money . The surveyers said " it's for a major developer that has very deep pockets" . One of the surveyers is into Boxer dogs ,so that's how we got speaking . All the best to everyone.

"..set the president" ha ha ! Pass the cement......
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Some are sharp and others razorsharp.

Right idea ,just the wrong field try the one that could block Saxons view.

Just to let you know the councillors in their wisdom have today decided that green fields are more important than jobs etc Thats it for Thurso Bay Hotel

Is it more important to build the hotel or is it more important to build it there ,which could open up the fields surrounding it to housing at a later date. To say the Councillors are to blame is rubbish, looks like the Trump Supporters Bandwagon syndrome is alive and kicking. Right idea ,wrong place.

He can still have his hotel on other side of the road... and still view Thurso Bay.....Other sites in Thurso too......why wait 20 years to build a hotel....20 years of potential profit lost.......Councils decision is correct.....Those fields and the vista are what make Thurso special........

So, in ten or so years time when Vulcan and Dounreay have gone, shops have closed down, even Tesco has pulled out. Nearest hospital - Inverness and so on. Look on the bright side, you will still have your precious view, nothing else, but you will have your view.

Raymond, have you not noticed, no matter what you try in Caithness be it Windmills, improving the Harbour or anything else you will always get some Fn idiot that feels they have got to object to it, as they have not got a life themselves they don't want anyone else to succeed,it's odd that they only come out of the woodwork when there is something to object to,I am sure if some of these objectors had half of your brains they would be over the moon,I therefore would like to wish you all the best in the future and hope the planning goes through.

Default Hotel Decision

Unbelievable, yet another disgraceful decision by the local councillors (noting east coast bias). The only one who spoke sensibly was Bill Fernie. This whole county is crying out for developments like this. As for the comments " People working at Dounreay are not going to work in a hotel" and " it will result in job losses in the town centre". Obviously people aren't going to leave Dounreay to work in a hotel and as far as job losses in the town centre you could nearly throw a stone and reach the town centre. More jobs are urgently needed in Thurso. As they say it's there's none as blind as those who don't want too see and that sums the councillors here. Sermon over.

On the front page of The Highland Councillors website -

"We are a democratic organisation with 79 Elected Councillors who are responsible for agreeing policies about provision of services and how money is spent.

Councillors are here to represent the views and opinions of individuals. It is also their responsibility to help those with difficulties which the council could help solve.

Your councillor will discuss any concerns or problems relating to council services and listen to your views on issues that you feel are important."

I think they forgot about the elected part. The elections are coming up soon I believe.

Roll up folks, grab your tumbleweed in bulk now, cheap by the sack load and as it's fully biodegradeable you can let it loose on the Mart site, watch it blow through the town centre and grab it again on the shore to do it all over again until it turns to dust like the rest of the town. Can't imagine why anyone would want to live in Thurso now as there's nothing going for it other than a bunch of whinging, resenting, hate-filled objectors....oh and a lovely view...Nice show for the NC500 isn't it!

I`m sure that the sheep will enjoy their view for years to come,thanks to our blinkered councillors. Next time they come round the house looking for votes,just tell em to feck off,just like Agnes Brown would.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik.M. View Post
    I`m sure that the sheep will enjoy their view for years to come,thanks to our blinkered councillors. Next time they come round the house looking for votes,just tell em to feck off,just like Agnes Brown would.
    Aye not so many years ago the council told you you are not entitled to a view from your house. About time they started listening to the majority instead of their own views.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast