Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Highlands and Islands Grants(Please read).

Default Highlands and Islands Grants(Please read).

Recently I was looking at the Grants given out by the HIE..... see hie.co.uk

I was somewhat shocked by the amounts of money given to Successful Businesses, especially when I read that there is a shortage of money in the North (£17m).
    To see these Grants just Google 'HIE grants to Caithness'. In a 3 month period the total was approx £22Million. Another 3 month period £6. Million.....Wow.
    This included £200,000 to the Castle of Mey Trust. I thought the Queen was one of the richest people in the UK?
    Then there was £600,000 given out a 5 Star Hotel adjoining a well known Golf Course just South of Caithness.
    Then there was £25,000 for computer equipment given to a very successful business in Wick.......and the list goes on....Hundreds of Grants.
    A Ski Company received £1.4 Million.
    Now the Official statement will be....Oh, that comes out of 'Another Budget'. Yes it does, but who pays for these Budgets.....You the General public.....of course many of the Grants are quite legitimate, start up businesses, expansions to grow these businesses. We had the same problems where I live, and eventually the Council was taken to task for the excessive monies being given for a variety of reasons.....perhaps you should look at the Grants being given out and ask your elected Politicians what they are going to do about it. And if nothing is done then there will be Election Day......
    My thoughts are to question your elected politicians and ask them what this and that are expensed for. I found it enlightening when people would come to me as a 'manager' and ask these questions...It showed an interest in how our monies were being spent s and there is an 'adage'. Two heads are better than one.
    Good luck.

I think that if businesses are eligible for grants then they will apply for them. It is difficult for an outsider to judge these cases but presumably there were/are criteria in place and the successful applicants had fulfilled them. I would imagine that top of the list (for being successful) would be the number of employees these businesses have and whether receiving grant money enables them to employ more people or to safeguard existing jobs?
    The Queen does not own the Castle of Mey. The Queen Mother bought it early last century and it has never been a crown property so far as I know at least. I do not know what the money was awarded for but it is certainly one of the top visitor destinations in Caithness and one of the places tourists actually stop here to visit so I guess it can be argued that £200,000 is not that much in this context, if it improves or even expands the experience.

It is frightening how much money has been given to Natural Retreats for the places in John O'Groats, Stornoway and Cairngorm - yet from studying their rrecords they do not appear to put any money in themselves - all appears to e from money received from HIE - yes our money.
    If you then trace the history of Natural Retreats - it all stems from £1 shares but a very very short management group but who pay fantastic salaries and expenses.
    Very very interesting when you spend time researching where the money from HIE does end up and which companies they invest

If your local and looking for help starting up or expanding your small business ,HIE will give you the 'IN PRINCIPLE' speech that means "sod off" . If your from the south the cheque book is open just give me a figure, not my words but words of many locals. All monies should only be given with security and must show proof that jobs have been created ( and not retained) and have a time bar on it. After 5years and proof that you have meet the conditions that security could be lifted. Maybe a very low interest loan scheme would be a better way to go ,that way the pot of cash goes round and around instead of ending up in someone's pocket . It's would be great if we have some local ideas for which way to go , so let's have some ideas.
    Last edited by Recycle it; 21-Jan-17 at 19:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I think that if businesses are eligible for grants then they will apply for them. It is difficult for an outsider to judge these cases but presumably there were/are criteria in place and the successful applicants had fulfilled them. I would imagine that top of the list (for being successful) would be the number of employees these businesses have and whether receiving grant money enables them to employ more people or to safeguard existing jobs?
    The Queen does not own the Castle of Mey. The Queen Mother bought it early last century and it has never been a crown property so far as I know at least. I do not know what the money was awarded for but it is certainly one of the top visitor destinations in Caithness and one of the places tourists actually stop here to visit so I guess it can be argued that £200,000 is not that much in this context, if it improves or even expands the experience.
    Yes, I agree with you to a point....I consider myself as a Semi-outsider who was born and brought up in Caithness and travel back fairly regularly. I just find that if there is no oversite to these Grants and loans they can get out of hand.
    What I don't see is the word 'budget' and what it is worth. Many of us have run Companies, or managed employees, where you are entrusted with a certain amount of money and that is it. As the Budget Master says there is a certain amount for use in the District and when that is used, there is no more. So one has to do with what you are given.
    When I read thru some of the people/companies that were receiving Thousands of £'s, I was astounded that successful Companies which have been around for years are getting these amounts of money.....
    Just check for the past few years.....
    Do any of the ' Royal Family' use the Mey residence?
    The last time I was there, a few years ago, I was led to believe that there was more to the place than a garden and Tearoom, and was occupied on occasion.
    Perhaps questions to be asked!

So much mis-information in one post, I assume it has come from the Derek Mackay financial management team. Sad that e org. contains such gibberish.

Well Bystander, the facts are there....many of the Grants are legitimate, BUT some are questionable to say the least.
    Make your comments to the person who had to wait I think eleven hours for an Ambulance for their child to go to Inverness....some said it was 'fake', but who are we to say. Include in that the General healthcare lacking for people in Caithness....having to take the bus to Raigmore. People in their homes with the heating turned down because they cannot afford the bills, etc, etc.o
    Nearly every week or so there is a complaint about the shortage of Services/ money in the North.
    In my area a number of years ago, the local Health system received a large amount of money to pay for 20 new Doctors, offices and the like. But the waiting times remained the same,and eventually the Gov't sent in a team of auditors who found out that 2 new Doctors had been hired and the remainder of the monies had gone to the ' Administration side....salary increases for Management. An Administrator sorted the mess out and people lost their jobs....
    I just brought this matter up as £20 Million is a lot of money in a 3 month period to be given away.
    Mis information...NO.
    Derek Mackey....don't know him......but I shall check the name.
    There is a word...Cronyism.......Is it alive and well in The North....I don't know, but but in all transactions there should be 'Cheques and Balances'....I like that PUN.
    Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Recycle it View Post
    If your local and looking for help starting up or expanding your small business ,HIE will give you the 'IN PRINCIPLE' speech that means "sod off" . If your from the south the cheque book is open just give me a figure, not my words but words of many locals. All monies should only be given with security and must show proof that jobs have been created ( and not retained) and have a time bar on it. After 5years and proof that you have meet the conditions that security could be lifted. Maybe a very low interest loan scheme would be a better way to go ,that way the pot of cash goes round and around instead of ending up in someone's pocket . It's would be great if we have some local ideas for which way to go , so let's have some ideas.
    Great post - I completely agree.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Great post - I completely agree.

I also agree, having witnessed this first hand. Funny how small businesses have to jump through hoops and still get nothing but I certainly see a lot of big businesses that could manage just fine without grants get handed huge sums! I had a small business, had to do everything off my own back and all the while the council wanted their cut, the tax man wanted his cut, I was restricted with every turn by grubby little men in suits saying i had to pay £££ if i wanted to do such and such!Oh sure grants were available but the "criteria" seemed to be designed to cut out the small guy or make it very difficult! Often when applying for grants it can be a long drawn out affair with a ton of paper work involved, a big company can easily have a team of people working to gather info and statistics etc but as a small company trying to keep a business afloat I had to to work during the day and stay up until all hours putting together applications for grants that i now know i was NEVER going to get.I gave up in the end and my small business went under which denied a great service to my customers. how many small businesses are we the public being denied because of this misuse of public funds i wonder? when a small grant would have kept them afloat!

I was just reading about the new School in the Groat.
    Is it time to appeal to the Scottish Government to appoint an Administrator to oversee what is occurring in Caithness and the North? Are there any legal prescedents for this type of thing?
    My interest is that I may be buying something in Caithness and it seems the squandering of money is just an accepted practice! And then there is the ' apparent scandal' about Natural Retreats
    There were/are lots of smart people on here, with a variety of experience.....how long can this continue.......?

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I was just reading about the new School in the Groat.
    Is it time to appeal to the Scottish Government to appoint an Administrator to oversee what is occurring in Caithness and the North? Are there any legal prescedents for this type of thing?
    My interest is that I may be buying something in Caithness and it seems the squandering of money is just an accepted practice! And then there is the ' apparent scandal' about Natural Retreats
    There were/are lots of smart people on here, with a variety of experience.....how long can this continue.......?
    No doubt it'll be the same bunch of EXPERTS used on the CHaP project another Council high point.

Inverness and Holyrood need a sharp reminder that there are real people living here, either by birth or by choice. I'm not sure how we do it but am pondering the matter as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Inverness and Holyrood need a sharp reminder that there are real people living here, either by birth or by choice. I'm not sure how we do it but am pondering the matter as I type.

Some time ago in fact Feb 1844 over 600 people marched from Latheron to the Wick Courthouse to Wick to dispute a Road Tax....There they were met by more people from the Wick area, and in Total....1800 people were demonstrating......They carried banners, sticks and umbrellas. You can read it at Caithness Archive Centre. ........Google....highlandlifehighland.com
    Now there is a thought....There were 200 Special Constables there to meet them!
    Sorry I don't know how to attach it with the iPad.

When Management 'mismanages' their responsibilities, then I think some action should be taken.....nothing more on the School other than a Stakeholder's Meeting I would say that it starts with a serious look at the decisions of HIE......and of course local problems. It will take a concerted effort by all to get things straightened out......

Just FYI.....
    Last edited by The Horseman; 25-Jan-17 at 01:58.

I was just reading some stories in the Groat, and a person named JCormack has some 'delightful' comments on some issues. This is the On-Line section.......
    It would be nice if he/she would join us.......Anyone know whom this person is?