Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: curried parsnip soup

Default curried parsnip soup

this makes a large pan you have been warned
    6 parsnips
    6 carrots
    1 neep
    3 onions
    1 tablespoon madras curry powder
    1 pint of double cream (though if you are health consious creme frais may do)
    peel and chop up the onions and sweat in a little oil with the curry powder then add the rest of the veg and add water to cover and boil for a while whizz up then add the cream stir through and serve!
    very easy and tasty and warming...
    i sometimes add a couple of celery sticks to it too!
    you can add as much or as little curry powder too it as you like!

Sounds really tasty Dadie....I had the tinned Tesco version just today for lunch
    Home made would be much nicer I'm sure, but I would need to made a smaller quantity.
    Any idea what size of pan (in terms of pints) I'd need for say half the quantities in your recipe? And could I use single cream?
    Cheers
    Angela

karia Guest

it does sound lovely!
    Like Angela, i'd need to find an alternative to doublecream...sadly!
    i love parsnips,but OH hates turnip...hey!..what they don't know
    karia X

it usually fills my pressure cooker to an inch or two to the top i make big batches of it and then freeze it in the plastic tubs you get from the chinese takeaway i reckon about half the quantity would feed 4 hungry people or 6 people for a lunch snack... single cream works ok but sometimes when heating it, it splits...would creme frias or low fat fromage frais work ?
    ps forgot add salt and pepper to taste and i sometimes use a stock cube or two in the water....it varies pot to pot...