Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Thurso Food Bank

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westward View Post
    Not a lot of point in arguing the toss with those who have not the foresight to see your point,
    the bloody-minded attitude of the "natives" who wrongly believe everyone and everything is below them,
    Obviously posted by a "non-native" who wrongly believes he is superior to the yokels.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorrie2017 View Post
    So says 'E Great White Settler.


    They shift from 'e slums of England in search o' Utopia only til find 'e erse falls oot thir world.

    Slums o england my arse. Arbroth born and breed mate. Couldn't afford a house near family so we came up north. You try shifting a house that has not leccy, no water, no heating & no sewrage before the cubourds run bare & we'll see if you can feed your kids on estate agents leaflets!


    Not looking for utopia just a home. My grandmother always said Wick was the best harbour after Arbroath. Doubt she ever came across your kin though scorrie or she wouldn't have thought it so friendly.


    Tell you what scorrie you stay in your little world where wickers are saints and only scum fall on hard times and I will be busy in mine helping those in need. I'm not wasting any more time with you.


    My first post remains we do take action where abuse of food banks is proven. Most people only come the once and are in genuine need, please don't be put off giving because of a few bad apples. If you see food bank abuse report it (to us, or National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NBFH) Telephone: 0800 854 440 ).

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I have read this post with great interest, and wondered about contributing. I have been lucky enough to be in a position not to use a foodbank and I am blessed that this is the case, but Just before christmas I decided the foodbank would recieve the donation of items id buy with the money I would normally spend on christmas cards and the postage of them.

    Not a great deal of money but I thought maybe a treat for the kids of the families that recieve the food packages, in there situation I thought a treat goes a long way at christams.

    So I gathered up the items and dropped in to the food bank and I got the shock reality that maybe I had done a silly thing, I had people advising me it was not a cause that was used for good but abused, when I went through the door there was a lady sitting there waiting for her package to be made up! This is where it hit home that ok maybe it is abused..... this lady goes to bingo everyweek not just one bingo hall either, she buys multiple books, raffles at the begining and break, she attends the bookmakers regulary, she lives near by and I see her buying lines of scratcards, she smokes and here she is waiting for a food package.

    So in the seconds standing there I thought do I leave the items or do I take them back and put them to another cause, I decided no Im leaving them there, although this one was clearly not as in need as she had made out. I decided there is people who are, but also kids out there of families that may not recieve a great deal over christmas so why should they suffer for this ladys selfish behavior.

    it of course has made me think about how this system works but in this day and age its terrible that people need to rely on foodbanks but for people to be so aware how important they are for some but still abuse the resource.
    Live life while you have it, after is too late!!!

  4. #24

    Default

    Why is that we hear such venom when it comes to the at the bottom of the pile ,but have all to many turning a blind eye to the Rich Fat Cats stealing from us all . It's not just a few tins or pounds here and there,but BILLIONS , to many easy street brandy swilling Tories on the org. History teaches us one thing ' we never learn" and rotten folk are alive and thriving .

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sutherland
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bystander1 View Post
    Obviously posted by a "non-native" who wrongly believes he is superior to the yokels.
    Bull.
    Like I said no point in arguing with folks like that.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sutherland
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    Why is that we hear such venom when it comes to the at the bottom of the pile ,but have all to many turning a blind eye to the Rich Fat Cats stealing from us all . It's not just a few tins or pounds here and there,but BILLIONS , to many easy street brandy swilling Tories on the org. History teaches us one thing ' we never learn" and rotten folk are alive and thriving .
    ,

    Quote "
    to many easy street brandy swilling Tories on the org. History teaches us one thing ' we never learn" and rotten folk are alive and thriving "
    Aye, I agree with you there..

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    40

    Default

    BOwer's post has changed a lot. First food bank operative. Then homeless through no fault. Then bought deralict property in Bower and moved in with wife and children and was shocked jobcentre didn't help. Now indignant ....

  8. #28

    Default

    I'm sorry to have confused you her00026. I was made homeless after investing in the property but before it was in a fit state to move in. We weren't given a choice about moving out of our old place we were just told to go. Once we were back on our feet I became a food bank operative because having been through that humilliation I wanted to help others who had found them selves in an equally hopeless situation.

    I apologise if I was a little brusk earlier I am just fed up of people calling me English just because I wasn't born here (Arbroath is just outside Aberdeen)

    I only brought up my own past to make the point that there aren't guarantied benefits. A lot of low paid and self employed people don't pay NI and run the risk of no benefits because of that. With all the planning in the world you can't avoid being made redundant.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I am well aware of the whereabouts of Arbroath and it's 'smokies'. In an area like this it will be obvious to 'locals' who is abusing the system, smoking,drinking and playing bingo, whilst taking food from the food banks. So they can work the system ... but not work. Sadly we have a system that supports them and not others.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B0wer View Post
    .

    I apologise if I was a little brusk earlier I am just fed up of people calling me English just because I wasn't born here (Arbroath is just outside Aberdeen)

    I had a giggle when I read this comment, seeing as how much you want to disassociate yourself with the English.

  11. #31

    Default

    I have no problem with English people, it is the boogyman white settler image that you are automatically tarred with by those that call you English. Yes I suppose in the grand scheme of things it is rather silly.

  12. #32

    Default

    There is certainly a beeg smell about many of these posts - and its not the smokies.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Why come to Bower? Was there nowhere between Atbroath and Bower that there was a house with some of the usual amenities? Seems a long way to come for basic essentials.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Why come to Bower? Was there nowhere between Atbroath and Bower that there was a house with some of the usual amenities? Seems a long way to come for basic essentials.
    Aye there were others. Why does anyone choose the house they move to? Because we fell in love with the community.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorrie2017 View Post
    Hivens!! Arbroath is over 50 miles from Aberdeen! So 'at means Golspie is jist ootside Thirsa. Me thinks wir man is spinnan a yarn here.
    Well scorrie i wasn't to sure if you'd recognise Dundee or Montrose... after all you thought Arbroath was in England!

  16. #36

    Default

    Besides Arboath its a hell of a lot closer to Aberdeen than any of us are to Inverness. The NHS says raigmore is "only up the road".

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorrie2017 View Post
    DSS flotsam washing up on the beaches of Caithness.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorrie2017 View Post
    DSS flotsam washing up on the beaches of Caithness.
    No i'm not DSS. The whole point Scorrie is that a fair number of foodbank users are NOT DSS. They are regular folk that have fallen on hard times. Yes there has been a spike in people coming due to universal benefit delays but mostly over the years they have been hard working people who have been laid off/been forced to take unpaid sick leave... they turn up the once all nervous at what people might think of them. We give them a smile, enough food for 3 days and then we never see them again because they aren't some bludge out for a free meal they are just people who go on to turn their lives around.

    It's been fun jousting with you gentlemen but I fear my argument is falling on deaf ears. Yes her00026 "locals" probably would be able to spot the dodgy ones but there arn't enough locals willing to volluntere so us "incomers" are filling in the gaps.

    I bid you all farewell - perhaps our duelling pistols will clash on another thread.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sutherland
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B0wer View Post
    No i'm not DSS. The whole point Scorrie is that a fair number of foodbank users are NOT DSS. They are regular folk that have fallen on hard times. Yes there has been a spike in people coming due to universal benefit delays but mostly over the years they have been hard working people who have been laid off/been forced to take unpaid sick leave... they turn up the once all nervous at what people might think of them. We give them a smile, enough food for 3 days and then we never see them again because they aren't some bludge out for a free meal they are just people who go on to turn their lives around.

    It's been fun jousting with you gentlemen but I fear my argument is falling on deaf ears. Yes her00026 "locals" probably would be able to spot the dodgy ones but there arn't enough locals willing to volluntere so us "incomers" are filling in the gaps.

    I bid you all farewell - perhaps our duelling pistols will clash on another thread.
    Well said and long overdue!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    40

    Default

    What Scorrie has said is more than likely true as Caithness is not slow to support local causes ...

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,588

    Default

    Be interesting to see what happens to foodbank usage after today, the day that wee Krankie introduced the minimum pricing for alcohol. My guess is that foodbank use will go up, as benefits are spent on more expensive cider. Spend on food will suffer as a result, so it'll be a case of jump in the car and nip round the foodbank for something to scoff in front of tonights Sky movie.

    Of course, the increase in usage will get blamed on Westminster......

    Fortunately, home brew is as cheap as ever!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •