Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thurso Food Bank

Don't know if I'd put it quite like that, but I wouldn't argue with your logic.

I know this suggestion will not be popular, but I think the government should bring back a modern version of the Victorian workhouse.

Everyone is guaranteed a roof over their head, three meals a day and warmth in winter This is in exchange for all benefits. There should be the ability to earn a small amount each week for personal items, be that cigarettes, alcohol or other treats.

Now I will await the backlash.

No backlash here - Sounds a grand idea. Thing is, it sounds as cushy as prison. There, despite supposed efforts of the operators, the residents can still do as they please - Mobile phones, spice, drugs, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    No backlash here - Sounds a grand idea. Thing is, it sounds as cushy as prison. There, despite supposed efforts of the operators, the residents can still do as they please - Mobile phones, spice, drugs, whatever.
    Well... If it's that cushy then why aren't you there yourself, easy enough to get in if you really want to.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

So of us have to work to pay the taxes to keep everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    So of us have to work to pay the taxes to keep everyone else.
    Ahhh... So you see it as your social responsibility to support those who choose the cushy lifestyle of prison life. That's very generous of you, you deserve an MBE for such selfless sacrafice.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Nah. I would happily keep my taxes to myself - But HMRC, and now the Scottish Nasty Party, seem to think that I would be better off without them so they can fund their social programmes.

Does Thurso food bank offer a choice of dinner menus?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    No but they will call a taxi for you to take your shopping home.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I would doubt it. They were offered a hundredweight of tatties here once. Turned them down. Apparently too complicated to cook. Surely the recipients could have found a suitable cookery channel on one of the 10,000 channels on the full Sky offering, or googled "how to boil a tattie" on their latest I Phone 27?

I'm sure if you offered a hundredweight of lard, and told them 'that's where chips come from' they might have been more interested.

Doubtful. Most would do as seems to be the norm in some of the more "affluent" housing estates in Orkney (affluent as in they do not need to work) and send out for a delivery from the chippie with a £4.50 taxi fare on top. Much easier than messing about with making your own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123