Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: How Old?

Talking How Old?

wiz you when you did your first gig?

i'll start

i was 12
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Well done you.

Wink

I was 5...

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    I was 5...
    Child prodigy, Torvaig!

Would you like to elaborate?

Counting down to how long it takes for chobbers to turn up and point out his first gig was about 12 yrs before he was born

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_Plastic_Food View Post
    Counting down to how long it takes for chobbers to turn up and point out his first gig was about 12 yrs before he was born
    HAHA funny!!!!

I was 6 just, playing drums in 1986 & my 1st paid gig as such was in the orange room at 7

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Child prodigy, Torvaig!

Would you like to elaborate?
    Hehe; up here in Caithness there is a music festival that happens every summer with all of the schools taking part and I first sang solo when I was five as did many others.

Then there were the duets, action songs and choirs so a busy time for all of us and we liked it because we got time off from lessons to practice! There is an adjudicator who gives marks out of one hundred and also written comments on your ability. There are also certificates of varying degrees according to your marks.

Then every Christmas there are the Christmas Treats which consist of a play and various presentations of music and poetry. You don't need talent; every one gets a part to play or sing.

All good fun!

12-years-old at the Millbank Marquee on Sat July 15th, 1989. Blues 'n' Trouble were headlining; I knew Steve Lewis, a left-handed black African-American from Illinois, he was playing with Barracuda (I think?) at the time and let me play a couple of tunes on his left-handed Strat. Spent the rest of the gig in awe of BNT's live show, supping on a can of Sweetheart Stout at the side of the stage.

First song I ever played in my first band, however, was I've Been Framed by Cheech & Chong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    12-years-old at the Millbank Marquee on Sat July 15th, 1989. Blues 'n' Trouble were headlining; I knew Steve Lewis, a left-handed black African-American from Illinois, he was playing with Barracuda (I think?) at the time and let me play a couple of tunes on his left-handed Strat. Spent the rest of the gig in awe of BNT's live show, supping on a can of Sweetheart Stout at the side of the stage.

First song I ever played in my first band, however, was I've Been Framed by Cheech & Chong.
    Pretty sure Pepsi I might have been the drummer at that!! (though I was considerably older than 12!!). Anyway, I do recall doing a Barracuda gig in the Millbank Marquee (god, those were the days - A whole week of various gigs and live events etc) Was Mike Chandler (also American) on Bass?
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Default First gig

I sang solo in church when I was 5 ..... Jesus bids us Shine.

At eleven I sang on the wireless......

Think I was 13. Was in 2nd year of high school and was an 'On the way up' concert.

Think we were called 'Avalanche' or 'Enigma'
    Lynsey Taylor - Vocals
    Melissa Shaw - Bass
    Michael Smith - Drums
    David Trueman & Myself - Guitars

I Remember playing 'Ironic' & 'Hand in my Pocket' by Alanis Morrisette. Cant remember if we did a 3rd song. Man that was the peak of my guitar career!

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Man that was the peak of my guitar career!
    You're telling us!

I think I was about 26 but I cannae mind because I never played another one since.

(Chobbers you say anything and I'll be after ye when I get home )

PS within the next 6 months the band I am playing with now are about to take on gigs.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

sayin' nothin

Tin Pan Alley springs to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    sayin' nothin

Tin Pan Alley springs to mind
    Hmm I think we are on the same psychic plane or something? I could never remember all the songs we played for the life of me, and then I was downloading some Stevie Ray Vaughan last night because we are playing Crossfire and Mary had a little lamb in the band I am in now and I saw Tin Pan Alley and remembered that was one, only last night. Spooky. I know I played Superstition, we played a track Marty wrote a reggae one, we played an Elvis song that I cannae mind but really enjoyed it whatever it was, not sure if we played 6 songs altogether or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Pretty sure Pepsi I might have been the drummer at that!! (though I was considerably older than 12!!). Anyway, I do recall doing a Barracuda gig in the Millbank Marquee (god, those were the days - A whole week of various gigs and live events etc) Was Mike Chandler (also American) on Bass?
    Sorry, Deemac, not a scoobie. It's certainly plausible, but I can't remember too much about that particular night other than I got to play, and Blues 'N' Trouble affirmed I'd be playing live music for the rest of my life. I do think there was another support band that night - I think Dave Sutherland was playing guitar, I can't be totally sure. And you're right - gigs and live music was a lot better back then, and I say that without looking through beer-tinted glasses. Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1989.