Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Small wind turbines

Default Small wind turbines

Advice needed on small wind turbines..is there anyone out there who knows a thing or two about them?

​Would the person to whom I was conversing please get in touch with me again..I don't know why but I seem unable to send messages by PM, THANK YOU

Yes, they are useless.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

We've had a 6kw Elotec Sirroc up for nearly 3 years now. Its produced over 61000kwhs. We've had no problems with it at all. Its reduced our electricity bills by half, and has paid itself if in just over 2.5 years.
    It was designed in Orkney for high wind maritime environs so suits caithness perfectly. Its now produced in France and available through Pure Energy in Yell shetland.
    Its a totally enclosed unit, so very little maintenelace required. Just knock it down once a year, grease a few grease nipples and check for wear (none so far) the blades may need resurfaced in 10-15 years, but so far theres not a mark on them.
    its a 2 bladed unit, and it doesnr turn off in high winds. It needs roughly 13mph gusts to get it going, but once turning it'll keep going with around 6-8mph, a slight breeze. Theres many days when our turbine is going and very few others are
    we're on top if the hill just outside Keiss, you can barely see our turbine, they habe a hexagonal tower, to reduce the vibratio and also reduces glare.
    Youre more than welcome to ask any questions, if i cam anwser them i will.

I just wanted to thank you Croftergirl for all the information. We've been thinking of having a turbine for a long time but had been put off by stories of things going wrong. Your experience may have changed our minds. I've made some notes and will look into it further.

Thank you again

Janey

No problem at all. We've had no problems with ours. Tbh if i could afford it id be putting a 2nd one the same up.
    Ross at Pure Energy is very helpful. They have 2 in caithnrss, theres one on the hill beside the road on just passed dunbeath, its so u obtrusive that most people dont even notice it.
    Sally

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	31381

A compact device, so user friendly a child can use it
    W.A.T.P.