For about 18 months now I have used BT as my ISP (there was no choice for broadband where I live) but never used Yahoo mail as always use Outlook Express. I have posted here before about missing emails and have now found the answer - BT was filtering them out as spam .

I had never even opened BT Yahoo webmail but did it today because of something someone said to me and found my Bulk folder, which is where BT puts spam, full of genuine emails including some I knew were missing. There was no spam there and the filter seems completely random, e.g. a friend can write to me one day and it gets through, the next day they can be blocked. I rescued all the ones that were there but since they delete them after a month heaven knows what else I have lost. I have now switched their spam filter off as it wasn't catching any spam but am shocked that this was happening and I had no idea.

Tried phoning to complain (always a mistake with BT) and got a woman in India who insisted on asking the make of my router even though I told her that was irrelevant. Eventually gave up as she was unable to pass the complaint on and have filled in one of their wretched online forms but no chance anyone will take any notice. Can any of you experts explain how this works? Meanwhile, for anyone else who uses BT for email but not webmail, go into it, check your Bulk folder and if it's doing what mine did, switch the filter off !