Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: white tailed eagle?

Default white tailed eagle?

I think I saw a white tailed eagle today in the Reay area.

It was quite far away from me but the way it moved it looked like a bird of prey. It was black with white markings. It was the size of the bird that really struck me - it was huge.

It flew quite low in the sky and landed a few hundred yards away from me and some gulls started to swoop on it but I didn't see it move on.

Do you think I saw one or do you think it was something else?

Quite possible, anything is possible.

But there was a very pale buzzard(no black markings though) being swooped on by gulls and crows outside Charlie's garage yesterday, I wished I had my camera.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Did you notice a distinct white tail - even from a few hundred yards it is usually very clear in the adult birds. The juveniles unfortunately are quite difficult to positively identify. Head profile in flight is a good way of differentiating between eagles and buzzards. The eagle has a much more distinct and elongated head, the buzzard shorter and more triangular.

If it is an eagle then the golden eagle soars on raised wings, the white tail on flat wings.

I am lucky enough to see white tailed and golden almost daily, and they are both a truly magnificent sight.

Rather oddly, the juvenile golden eagle has a white tail but the juvenile white tailed eagle doesn't. Anyway, if we are able to spot anything similar then we're doing well in Caithness.

I saw two over Loch Seaforth on Lewis. The thing that struck me was the wings; they were like a scaffolding plank! That and the very short stubby white tail. I suppose it’s easy when you’ve seen one, but they really are unmistakable.

I'm going to be a bit vague about this as the sighting just lasted a few seconds. Its body was mostly covered by it's wings as it was so low, I saw white markings when the wings moved a bit but I couldn't say for sure it was its tail.

It was bigger than any buzzard I've ever seen - far bigger in fact. Its wings were huge. I'm beginning to doubt myself but I'm not sure what else it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I'm going to be a bit vague about this as the sighting just lasted a few seconds. Its body was mostly covered by it's wings as it was so low, I saw white markings when the wings moved a bit but I couldn't say for sure it was its tail.

It was bigger than any buzzard I've ever seen - far bigger in fact. Its wings were huge. I'm beginning to doubt myself but I'm not sure what else it could have been.
    You were there, you are the only one who can say. It is easy to doubt one's self days later. My birding teacher always maintained that we should believe the evidence of our own eyes. If you thought you saw one then that is good enough for me.

But next time, have that camera with you!
    Last edited by Rheghead; 13-May-07 at 14:26. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    You were there, you are the only one who can say. It is easy to doubt one's self days later. My birding teaching always maintained that we should believe the evidence of our own eyes. If you thought you saw one then that is good enough for me.

But next time, have that camera with you!
    Very good advice!

Our brains often give us exactly the right answers if we listen to them. Once we start to over analyse, that is when we start to wonder.

Put it down as a white tail, and hope to see it again - with camera! Just so you really believe it yourself.

Default Check this out.

www.caithness.org/archives/2006/april2006.htm -

Some thing was rattling around in the sawdust box here so checked the site , you should find this interesting Isis.

Scroll down the header page it's 5th item.
    Last edited by Kenn; 13-May-07 at 23:19. Reason: More info

I saw one quite by chance, he/she was sitting on a fence and it was huge, I first thought it was statue I didn't know what it was at first, but then found out it was indeed a white tailed eagle, I feel quite privaledged to have spotted one without even looking. (was on Skye btw)
    Wishing on a star, still!

~~Be who you are and say what you want because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind~~

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    www.caithness.org/archives/2006/april2006.htm -

Some thing was rattling around in the sawdust box here so checked the site , you should find this interesting Isis.

Scroll down the header page it's 5th item.
    Thanks Lizz, this pic looks more like the bird I saw than a lot of the pics i've had a look at on the web for white tailed eagles - especially the white markings on the body & wings. However, I saw it at quite a different angle so it is difficult to compare any more than that.

Not sure it was a white tailed eagle but it was very impressive whatever it was and I'm glad I witnessed it.

Thanks for the advice and comments Rheghead & NickInTheNorth, much appreciated. Hope I see one again and hope I have the camera!