Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What's the matter with West Banks Avenue?

Default What's the matter with West Banks Avenue?

Lots of property for sale in the street the old school is on, but none of it shifting in a hurry. My friend has reduced her former family home by £25k, and still has no takers. Anyone know what's going to happen to the old school? Could that be the reason?
    Bagpuss

Nobody wants these old houses anymore. They are dated, need internal upgrading, often new windows etc. When you can get a new build to your own specs then it's a no-brainer for the younger generation who consider these houses as old borgues their grandparents lived in.

A few years ago, builders were ripping them apart and adding extensions. I feel really sorry for her - she moved south to retire and has had to rent it out until she can get a buyer. She missed out on the workmen because she's too straight to break HMO laws.
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    Lots of property for sale in the street the old school is on, but none of it shifting in a hurry. My friend has reduced her former family home by £25k, and still has no takers. Anyone know what's going to happen to the old school? Could that be the reason?
    Wick's a slow market. Sometimes practically stationary.

I've sold three places in the same time- two new builds and a conversion. I have her advice on kerb appeal and she put all her savings into a new kitchen and bathroom in that house. Think 💭 nespace is right and the only houses moving up north are new builds. Shame - because south, it's the older houses with big gardens for families folk want

The new kitchen and bog is likely to be more to her own preference in design, than a prospective buyer's.

You're making me feel guilty SIDS- she copied what I had in a new build. House was rented and that was what the agent suggested too. Builders thought she had loads of money and at the end she had a nice kitchen and bathroom and huge bills.

Owner isn't on the org - but knows that I am, and wanted me to find out if there's a reason why she can't sell. She's a bit older than me and she's scared she will be left with the place as a reluctant landlord until she dies.

You're making me feel guilty SIDS- she copied what I had in a new build.
    Ok it's the buyers who have no taste.

It's a waiting game.

We sold a big old (c. 200 years) house in Wick 18 months ago; had to wait for the right buyers with taste and vision.

I would think that the unsure future of the large building directly in front of her house will not be helping either if its sold and the future of this is good then that will help. If it remains unsold and not maintained it could turn into an eyesore.
    New 3 bed, low maintenance builds are being sold in the town for roughly the same as your friends house that wont help either. I also sold an old house in Wick a few years ago however was extremely lucky this was when housing wasn't so readily available. I feel sure in time she will sell her house however the wait and worry for her will feel never ending.

Anyone know when the old school will be demolished?

There is another theory.....if it is priced right it will sell.
    Houses will sell for what a buyer will pay....

has she thought about getting some one to auction it for her if sold your money is in your bank in 28 days no sure if they do it up here you will get less than market value but less hassle

Anyone know when the old school will be demolished?

The main part of it is a listed building, so unlikely to be taken down.