Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tofu Bacon

Default Tofu Bacon

I saw a recipe on Facebook for making meat-free bacon with tofu. I was intrigued to give it a go. It comprises of thinly cut tofu strips soaked in a marinade for a few minutes and then grilled or fried, even up to crispiness. I tried this today and I am astonished by the authenticity of the taste. I replaced the onion powder with regular table salt. I already had liquid smoke in stock but you can get a bottle of liquid smoke through Amazon for about £3. The other ingredients should already be in a well stocked kitchen. Enjoy!

http://www.thebuddhistchef.com/recipe/vegan-blt/
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

donss Guest

I don't get why you are vegan but want to emulate, as close as possible, something to eat that you despise...

I was a meat eater, but turned veggie some years ago, but saw the light and am now (& have been for years & years),
    a born again eater of anything...

Quote Originally Posted by donss View Post
    I don't get why you are vegan but want to emulate, as close as possible, something to eat that you despise...

I was a meat eater, but turned veggie some years ago, but saw the light and am now (& have been for years & years),
    a born again eater of anything...
    It can take a pig up to 2 minutes to die in agony at a slaughter house. A pig is a sentient being who feels pain, love, joy and affection, and other sensations like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    It can take a pig up to 2 minutes to die in agony at a slaughter house. A pig is a sentient being who feels pain, love, joy and affection, and other sensations like we do.

So... If they killed the pig instantly then you'd eat the bacon?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    So... If they killed the pig instantly then you'd eat the bacon?
    They can't though. And it is not just the killing. There is the issue of cruelty during the rearing the animal, the cramped conditions, the slapping, the dirty conditions. There is also the question of commodifying an animal for its flesh, just for it to be stolen away from its bones for our dietary satisfaction. There is also the speciesism that we discriminate that we see some animals with compassion but others as food. It isn't fair and why do we need to do that when there are other foods that are just as tasty and nourishing?

donss Guest

But despite all that sentiment, you still want to know and experience what the poor pig really tasted like? That's weird. And twisted.
    Why not do the poor pig justice and eat it instead of some strange morphing substance? I still don't get it, and I never will...

But despite all that sentiment, you still want to know and experience what the poor pig really tasted like? That's weird. And twisted.
    Why not do the poor pig justice and eat it instead of some strange morphing substance? I still don't get it, and I never will...
    Are you against tofu bacon for yourself or are you against it for everyone else?

donss Guest

I can understand people deciding to go veggie or vegan, but not then trying to make their substitute food look like or taste like meat, or fish or whatever.
    Surely it would make sense just to eat the tofu as it comes without adding artificial ingredients in an effort to make it like the food that you won't eat.
    Or maybe it's because tofu 'as it comes' tastes terrible, that it doesn't taste like the food you really want to savour

I can understand people deciding to go veggie or vegan, but not then trying to make their substitute food look like or taste like meat, or fish or whatever.
    Surely it would make sense just to eat the tofu as it comes without adding artificial ingredients in an effort to make it like the food that you won't eat.
    Or maybe it's because tofu 'as it comes' tastes terrible, that it doesn't taste like the food you really want to savour
    It is great that you agree with the reasons why people should refuse to eat animal products on animal welfare grounds. So why are we continuing with this conversation? However, your comments need clarity. I just posted a recipe for bacon that is as tasty as real meat-based bacon. If someone is horrified by the process to make real bacon, and sure they should be horrified then why should they continue to eat real bacon when alternatives are available?

i will repeat the question for you to answer;

Are you against tofu bacon for yourself or are you against it for everyone else?

donss Guest

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to be against tofu, or any other foodstuff, for anyone other than myself. And maybe you're right: we'll agree to disagree
    over whole tasteless affair... ;-)

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to be against tofu, or any other foodstuff, for anyone other than myself. And maybe you're right: we'll agree to disagree
    over whole tasteless affair... ;-)
    This post was only about the tasty virtues of tofu bacon but you framed it about the meat industry.

I will repeat my question;

"Are you against tofu bacon for yourself or are you against it for everyone else? "

Just watched the video, doesn't look anything like bacon...

Where's the delicious strips of fat that give it so much flavour?
    Looks more like slices of fried spam.

Would be better if you substituded the oil for lard though.

What about crackling, can you make that out of tofu?
    Last edited by Alrock; 22-Oct-16 at 22:49.

Ask yourself the question.

do you need to eat bacon given by refusal to eat meat that you will bring such a liberating revolution to the quality of the 59 billion lives of innocent animals who are brought to slaughter for your own dietary satisfaction?

I will ask the same question;

"Are you against tofu bacon for yourself or are you against it for everyone else? "

I will ask the same question;

You eat away, but at the end of the day, no matter how much you fool yourself, it is & never will be bacon?

Can you go into Tesco & buy a pack of Tofu Bacon?.... No.... That would be in contravention of the Trades Description Act, as Tofu Bacon is a misnomer, it doesn't exist.

You eat away, but at the end of the day, no matter how much you fool yourself, it is & never will be bacon?

Can you go into Tesco & buy a pack of Tofu Bacon?.... No.... That would be in contravention of the Trades Description Act, as Tofu Bacon is a misnomer, it doesn't exist.
    I will ask the question again since you didn't provide an answer.

I will ask the question again since you didn't provide an answer.

I did answer your question... Let me reword it...

Anybody can eat "Tofu Bacon" if they want, it's just not bacon so don't call it bacon. It's grilled flavoured tofu.
    At a push, you could call it "Bacon Flavoured Tofu" I suppose.

I did answer your question... Let me reword it...

Anybody can eat "Tofu Bacon" if they want, it's just not bacon so don't call it bacon. It's grilled flavoured tofu.
    At a push, you could call it "Bacon Flavoured Tofu" I suppose.
    If you look at the definition of bacon then it is defined as a pork based product but turkey bacon is a well established product and it is advertised as a bacon. So i think you need to reassess the definition of bacon. When you actually think about it, pork bacon is just bacon-flavoured pork. Curing bacon is just marinading pork in a marinade with a bacon flavour.

If you look at the definition of bacon then it is defined as a pork based product.....
    There you go... "Pork Based Product"

....but turkey bacon is a well established product and it is advertised as a bacon....
    Do you live in the USA?
    Here in the UK/EU it is called "Turkey Rashers" so I suppose you could call it "Bacon Flavoured Tofu Rashers" if you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast