Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: North Coast 500

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default North Coast 500

A couple of friends have just returned at the weekend from a ten day trip on this route - found a few different accommodations but they could not understand why they were saying all the places were closing for the winter, do they not understand the NC 500 route will encourage visitors all year round, all we saw were closed signs.
    They did get a warm welcome in the Nethercliffe and enjoyed their food in Ebenezers or No1
    They did thoroughy enjoy the trip and will be back doing it fairly soon, probably in the summer and they know to book well ahead for accommodation.

This was the comments from a couple of friends - as I do not live in the area now I cannot comment, but surely some business are seeing a difference the NC500 is making to their trade.
    I would have thought it would have been worthwhile keeping open for an extra few weeks to October holidays or until the first snows arrive to encourage folk travelling this route to stay and spend some money in the area.

Like everything else its going to take time, and these are early days yet. For many accommodation providers and eateries keeping staff on and running an establishment when you have no guarantee of footfall is a bit of a gamble. Let's be honest the environment in the far north can be pretty intimidating. We can hope that there will be a year on year improvement.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

no such thing as bad weather just bad choice of clothing, the hotels and B&Bs are open all year round, (not like the tennabowlieones ones they only open in the summer normally the middle week of july,)

the NC500 is a lovely run anytime of the year,
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

What is a tennabowlie?
    W.A.T.P.

It's a person West of Wick with two eyebrows

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by cullpacket View Post
    It's a person West of Wick with two eyebrows
    did you mean a person east of scrabster with 1 eyebrow
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    What is a tennabowlie?
    I took it to be a person that drinks their tea out of a saucer, but I am sure someone will put me right.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Surely that would be teanabowlie then not tennabowlie ?
    W.A.T.P.

A teenabowlie is a name that originates til over 120+ years ago when Wick harbour was busy with herring fishing and Thurso was busy with the pavement works. E' Dirdy Weekers were making plenty money, whilst Thurso was a small town not quiet making as much.
    So the meaning of the nickname Teenabowlie means, Wick was making plenty money being dirdy (hard working, busy) and Thursa wis at poor they couldn't pay for cups or mugs so they hed til take their 'Tea-in-a-bowly'
    Thursa wasn't happy so they made a nickname for Wick folk as the 'Dirty Weekers'

and then Dounreay came along and made Thurso a fortune whilst Wick played catch up....now Dounreay is winding down, they are all crying again and want more of the opportunities that Wick has picked up....you just can't keep a teenabowlie happy....

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    What is a tennabowlie?
    Somebody who wears a Sanitary towel on their head? Probably derives from the Tenner Bowler..... a good quality Bowler hat used to cost Ten Great British Pounds back in the day and only the wealthy could afford a genuine "tenner Bowler".

Your Tennabowlie is a person of lowly means who makes his own Bowler hat out of Tenna Pads and then colours them black out of soot from the chimney. Quite the fashion accessory for your "Wicker" man this season..... A high res vest and Tenna Bowler will guarantee you admission where the in crowd hang out........ Wick Sheriff Court

Quote Originally Posted by DSTOTM View Post
    Somebody who wears a Sanitary towel on their head? Probably derives from the Tenner Bowler..... a good quality Bowler hat used to cost Ten Great British Pounds back in the day and only the wealthy could afford a genuine "tenner Bowler".

Your Tennabowlie is a person of lowly means who makes his own Bowler hat out of Tenna Pads and then colours them black out of soot from the chimney. Quite the fashion accessory for your "Wicker" man this season..... A high res vest and Tenna Bowler will guarantee you admission where the in crowd hang out........ Wick Sheriff Court
    Wow you have done your homework. You need to get out more

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    A couple of friends have just returned at the weekend from a ten day trip on this route - found a few different accommodations but they could not understand why they were saying all the places were closing for the winter, do they not understand the NC 500 route will encourage visitors all year round, all we saw were closed signs.
    They did get a warm welcome in the Nethercliffe and enjoyed their food in Ebenezers or No1
    They did thoroughy enjoy the trip and will be back doing it fairly soon, probably in the summer and they know to book well ahead for accommodation.

This was the comments from a couple of friends - as I do not live in the area now I cannot comment, but surely some business are seeing a difference the NC500 is making to their trade.
    I would have thought it would have been worthwhile keeping open for an extra few weeks to October holidays or until the first snows arrive to encourage folk travelling this route to stay and spend some money in the area.
    To get back on topic..... good post! When the snows come NC500 may not shut down completely as there will no doubt be those wanting to see the scenery with snow. Those with businesses along the route should indeed plan to stay open for longer than in previous years. Perhaps this autumn/winter/spring will be a test bed to see how numbers change ? I do know of at least one business on the West Coast who has extended their camp ground opening by over a month as they were getting folks turning up in late September and early October.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post

Unfortunately it's a catch 22 situation, the B&B's and hotels (that close) won't know if they are going to get custom unless they stay open and find out. It's a risk certainly, but business in general is a risk. I know that when I worked in a local hotel, guests were upset to find they could not go to The Castle Of Mey (this year it is open from the middle of May and closed at the end of September) or do the John O Groats Ferry tours which this year operated between May and the end of September.

It could be argued the weather is a deciding factor certainly, but it doesn't seem to affect, Switzerland, Austria, Lapland and so on. The schools in England are on half term now, I can't see anybody taking the risk of coming here if they think everything is closed.

As I said before, I only live here, I'm not from here, so my opinion doesn't really count, however if it was me, I would get the people who dreamt up this NC500 initiative to get all the business owners, hoteliers, anybody that owns accommodation on the route together, get Visit Scotland involved and plan to stay open next year (from September 2017). Bombard the UK with advertising and so on and just see what happens. If it works, great, if not they tried and will know for a fact that it doesn't work, but at least they tried. And it will only work if everybody on the route works together.

From what I understand Natural Retreats (John O Groats) seems to be doing very well all year round, from what I have heard anyway, you just have to read Trip Advisor there is hardly a bad word said about them, so the demand is there.

Again, this is just my opinion !