Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: McKay family in New Zealand

Default McKay family in New Zealand

My great-grandfather was David Paton McKay. According to a family Bible, he was born on 31 July 1841 in Glasgow, and emigrated to New Zealand aboard the "Metropolis" in 1863. On the ships passenger list he was named David P. McKie, from Lanarkshire. According to family, the ancestral home for David Paton McKay was Melness, Talmine Bay, Kyle of Tongue. This seems a long way from Glasgow, where he was supposedly born. I have been unable to find a birth certificate for David Paton McKay (or McKie), or any other information about him in Scotland. I would appreciate contact with anyone who might have information or be able to help locate information about him, his parents, etc.

Have you tried a different spelling of McKay? It's spelt Mackay up in the north of Scotland

There was a David Mackay born 23 August 1843, Baptised 28 August 1843 in Skerray (East of Tongue) to John Mackay and Chirsty Unson. GROS Data OPR 056/00 0020 0076 Tongue. Ancestry has the year recorded as 1844.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou