Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 119 of 119

Thread: Scexit UK

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The SNP's manifesto said they had a mandate to call another referendum if the material circumstances changed like taking Scotland out of the EU. It was in black and white. The country voted on that manifesto pledge and the SNP was returned to government. That is democracy.
    You lot must enjoy losing plebiscites.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Ruth Davidson says the UK government should not block a request for a referendum on Scottish independence.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dXbczEt3Rk#t=8m25s
    it hasn't been blocked, wee Jimmy has just been told to keep her powder dry until after we have finished with the Brexit palava
    W.A.T.P.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Fullfact has investigated the claim that Spain would veto an independent Scotland's application for full EU membership to be bogus.

    https://fullfact.org/bbcqt/2017/Mar/16
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  4. #104

    Default

    Madame May will not allow a Scottish referendumuntil Brexit has been completed.....so sayeth the U.K. 'Rags' today.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Madame May will not allow a Scottish referendumuntil Brexit has been completed.....so sayeth the U.K. 'Rags' today.
    Brexit negotiations are due to be completed within 18 months, when the terms are put to the other 27 EU Nations to be voted on, so the deal will be known, substantially at least, by September 2019. There is no need to wait until Brexit is completed and the UK is out of the EU......we just need to wait until it is clear what the negotiations have produced.

  6. #106

    Default

    I cannot get my head around Scotland exiting. If they were Monte Carlo or some exotic place with a certain appeal, I could see it.
    Was in Inverness when the last referendum was happening and a guy with a canoe was paddling up and down the River with a large YES sign!

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I cannot get my head around Scotland exiting. If they were Monte Carlo or some exotic place with a certain appeal, I could see it.
    Was in Inverness when the last referendum was happening and a guy with a canoe was paddling up and down the River with a large YES sign!

    Unlike you, obviously, some of us love our country, and are proud of our heritage. It does not need to be exotic to have appeal, it just needs to be home.

    Can I ask though..... if Scotland is such an awful place...... why do you stay here??

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    I don't think he does.
    W.A.T.P.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    Unlike you, obviously, some of us love our country, and are proud of our heritage. It does not need to be exotic to have appeal, it just needs to be home.

    Can I ask though..... if Scotland is such an awful place...... why do you stay here??
    if you love your country then why do you want to take a political leap of faith, blindfolded off a cliff?
    it sounds very reckless to me
    W.A.T.P.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    if you love your country then why do you want to take a political leap of faith, blindfolded off a cliff?
    it sounds very reckless to me

    Here's the thing...... no matter what political side you are on, everything is about to change throughout the UK. There is no longer a status quo. Even most of the arguments from the last Scottish referendum have changed. So, the question now is..... who do you trust to lead us into the future? You have the choice of May or Sturgeon. That's it.

    I personally know who I trust with my future, and it certainly isn't a Tory government based in Westminster.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    if you love your country then why do you want to take a political leap of faith, blindfolded off a cliff?
    it sounds very reckless to me
    But the UK is taking a leap off a cliff with Brexit except it wasn't blind or on faith. The rest of the UK knew exactly what the consequences were to the economy and they said it was just scaremongering and they voted for Brexit for reasons which most of us feel are absurd. The vast majority of economists, business leaders, scientists, social groups and politicians etc warned that Brexit would be damaging and the crows are now coming home to roost.

    I think the people of Scotland are waking up to the reality that their country is not safe in the hands of a majority of voters in England that do not share their own social values. Once we do not have that shared interest then the Union of GB is finished.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  12. #112

    Default

    I do not live in Scotland but return regularly to the North....
    Yes we should be proud of whom we are....
    Years ago I used to fly into Prestwick Airport and on the walls were pictures and descriptions of those Scots who did great things around the World. We had more successful people per Capita than any other Country!
    But Scotland is populated by 5 million people....England is 50 million.
    It is the Economy I think about and if we split can we go it on our own...Oil is being depleted rapidly in the North East and in addition the prices crashed and methinks the prices are on their way down again. Yes we have Wind farms but as I said on another thread they will become unaffordable, and they won't have many people on Windmills.
    With the present set up when joined as the United Kingdom, Scotland gets bits and pieces. I am sure much more than would apportioned in a 1 to 10 ratio. So where are the revenues to come from? You think the ecenomy is bad now.....and the healthcare system......
    I have watched the issues of separation over the years.....and have yet to read/ hear anything that would make it a feasible proposition.....I read that Air Bases are closing....how about the employment with the Trident issue.....like it or not it is a pay check which is/was then spent in the local economy, as is the good money that was taken in from North Sea oil....
    In my opinion and others, The European Union is in it's last 10 years. They live on debt , each Country owing the other....That is called a Ponzi scheme......recently there was a documentary on the Brussels HQ. Quite a bureaucracy, and unaffordable..
    I dunno....someone do the Math....just my thoughts....
    Last edited by The Horseman; 19-Mar-17 at 17:47.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Either way we are out of Europe
    in 2014 we voted as a nation to remain as part of the U.K. as such we go with the U.K. democratic decisions
    W.A.T.P.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Either way we are out of Europe
    in 2014 we voted as a nation to remain as part of the U.K. as such we go with the U.K. democratic decisions
    We voted as individuals.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    We voted as individuals.
    indeed but for the majority to win on behalf of the nation (UK)
    the ballot was not regionalised, it stated should the UK remain in Europe?
    Not Scotland, England, Wales or NI
    Last edited by mi16; 19-Mar-17 at 18:56.
    W.A.T.P.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    But the UK is taking a leap off a cliff with Brexit except it wasn't blind or on faith. The rest of the UK knew exactly what the consequences were to the economy and they said it was just scaremongering and they voted for Brexit for reasons which most of us feel are absurd. The vast majority of economists, business leaders, scientists, social groups and politicians etc warned that Brexit would be damaging and the crows are now coming home to roost.

    I think the people of Scotland are waking up to the reality that their country is not safe in the hands of a majority of voters in England that do not share their own social values. Once we do not have that shared interest then the Union of GB is finished.
    Scotland has not been an independent country since 1707.
    The UK has only been in the EEC since 1973.
    We have recent history of being the UK outside of EEC membership and out on our own and we were fine.
    Back in 1707 things were rubbish apparently!!!
    W.A.T.P.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Scotland has not been an independent country since 1707.
    The UK has only been in the EEC since 1973.
    We have recent history of being the UK outside of EEC membership and out on our own and we were fine.
    Back in 1707 things were rubbish apparently!!!
    I have more political interest in where we are going to instead of where we have come from. I believe that people who live in a country should have sovereignty over that country. Localism usually works best. I see the UK as a means of control for Scotland but as a means to exploit the resources for another. The UK wanted out of the EU because it wants its sovereignty back, but that was really England and Wales speaking, Brexit was a referendum on English and Welsh independence. Scotland didn't vote for Brexit. Scotland isn't even getting the powers from the EU back. If Theresa May had assured Scotland that powers on agriculture and fisheries were coming to Holyrood then she could have killed the referendum dead but she hasn't. She is a centralist from Westminster, they do not like to give powers away.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I have more political interest in where we are going to instead of where we have come from. I believe that people who live in a country should have sovereignty over that country. Localism usually works best. I see the UK as a means of control for Scotland but as a means to exploit the resources for another. The UK wanted out of the EU because it wants its sovereignty back, but that was really England and Wales speaking, Brexit was a referendum on English and Welsh independence. Scotland didn't vote for Brexit. Scotland isn't even getting the powers from the EU back. If Theresa May had assured Scotland that powers on agriculture and fisheries were coming to Holyrood then she could have killed the referendum dead but she hasn't. She is a centralist from Westminster, they do not like to give powers away.
    What did you ballot paper say on it Rheg?
    W.A.T.P.

  19. #119

    Default

    I shall be over in 6 weeks and I shall give you my expert opinion after that.......haha

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •