Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 119

Thread: Scexit UK

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The tory governmemnt don't want Scotland to go because we are ploughing more than our fair share of cash into the UK coffers, they're not looking at this Scottish gift horse in the mouth.

    What beats me is that virtually all economists and financial advisers were warning that Brexit will harm the markets and the UK's ability to generate enough income to pay off the debt. you don't give up your day job when you've got to pay off the mortgage. There has been nothing evident that has proved those fforecasts wrong. It is just crazy the brexit world we live in.

    To coin a phrase, the proof will be in the pudding. you I and everyone will have to wait till it is cooked to find out, and it will all come out in the wash eventually. Financial advisers forecasters, don't make me laugh.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Hopefully not too far off topic, but really nice to see that the SNP government and Westminster are in FULL agreement; Heathrow it is! hopefully ALL the MSP's of various parties will support the SNP?
    Aye in public they are apparently,not sure about everyone, I still think Boris's island airport was a better idea.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Your talking rubbish, 53 million people live in England while 5.422 million live in Scotland how can the Scotts pay more tax into the pot via drink, tobacco, transport, or any other commodity.
    Only have to look back at the 2014 fiasco:http://uk.businessinsider.com/compan...pendent-2014-9 I know many influential (rich) friends who transferred their assets out of Scotland to England - just in case... There was no chance that Scotland (as a foreign country) would ever get to keep the £pound - why the hell should the Bank of ENGLAND underwrite Scotland's debt - what is is right now? £15,000,000,000? What's the entry to EU? 3% of GDP, what's Scotland's? 9% (worse than GREECE!).. OK thoseSNP who want Independence for Cultural reasons will be happy, but don't give much for the others.. strange that on here, there are at least TWO Englanders who want Independence for Scotland, " With the SNP set to relaunch their campaign for Independence, 50% of Scots oppose a second Referendum" (Yougov, NOT SNP Herald).. find it amusing that Scotland's 'government' (although having 400 food banks in Scotland) increased overseas aid by £1,000,000 up to 10m.. Strange that, as it's the United Kingdom that does Overseas Aid!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Aye in public they are apparently,not sure about everyone, I still think Boris's island airport was a better idea.
    Yea, could have been OK, but they were worried about the blinking seabirds, can't shoot 'em (poor things) visions of the Hudson River?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Yea, could have been OK, but they were worried about the blinking seabirds, can't shoot 'em (poor things) visions of the Hudson River?
    Aye, there are quite a few shitehawks around, they are all over the coastal areas in fact, too many.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Only have to look back at the 2014 fiasco:http://uk.businessinsider.com/compan...pendent-2014-9 I know many influential (rich) friends who transferred their assets out of Scotland to England - just in case... There was no chance that Scotland (as a foreign country) would ever get to keep the £pound - why the hell should the Bank of ENGLAND underwrite Scotland's debt - what is is right now? £15,000,000,000? What's the entry to EU? 3% of GDP, what's Scotland's? 9% (worse than GREECE!).. OK thoseSNP who want Independence for Cultural reasons will be happy, but don't give much for the others.. strange that on here, there are at least TWO Englanders who want Independence for Scotland, " With the SNP set to relaunch their campaign for Independence, 50% of Scots oppose a second Referendum" (Yougov, NOT SNP Herald).. find it amusing that Scotland's 'government' (although having 400 food banks in Scotland) increased overseas aid by £1,000,000 up to 10m.. Strange that, as it's the United Kingdom that does Overseas Aid!
    "TWO" on here and how many South of the border I wonder. Regarding the overseas aid, a sore point with some but what the hell it makes some politicians feel and look good in some circles, it is so easy when spending or wasting public finances.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Only have to look back at the 2014 fiasco:http://uk.businessinsider.com/compan...pendent-2014-9 I know many influential (rich) friends who transferred their assets out of Scotland to England - just in case... There was no chance that Scotland (as a foreign country) would ever get to keep the £pound - why the hell should the Bank of ENGLAND underwrite Scotland's debt - what is is right now? £15,000,000,000? What's the entry to EU? 3% of GDP, what's Scotland's? 9% (worse than GREECE!).. OK thoseSNP who want Independence for Cultural reasons will be happy, but don't give much for the others.. strange that on here, there are at least TWO Englanders who want Independence for Scotland, " With the SNP set to relaunch their campaign for Independence, 50% of Scots oppose a second Referendum" (Yougov, NOT SNP Herald).. find it amusing that Scotland's 'government' (although having 400 food banks in Scotland) increased overseas aid by £1,000,000 up to 10m.. Strange that, as it's the United Kingdom that does Overseas Aid!
    Good for them. They'd have gone anyway if Labour had got in in 2016, and raised taxes, I suspect.

    Good Grief, bekisman, have you not yet grasped that no foreign country needs permission to use the pound, or the dollar or other currencies. What they need permission for is a currency union.....and that was what Westminster vetoed. Personally, I'm glad that option has been hit into the long grass.

    Scotland doesn't have any debt, Westminster has debt. Scotland, to date, has never knowingly borrowed a single solitary penny for anything. Scotland does, however have a deficit, which is not the same thing at all.And Scotland's annual deficit is predominantly down, not to what the SG spends in Scotland, but what Westminster spends, theoretically, on or on behalf of Scotland.

    The SG has no choice as to whether to pay a share of debt interest, defence costs, international services,the net cost of the bank interventions etc, and has no choice about having Westminster departments charging the SG because no devolved competency is completely devolved..so "head office" has to be funded, including, of course, the Scotland Office. We don't get a choice about undertaking expensive foreign "adventures",renewing Trident, funding HS2, the Olympics or the Channel Tunnel or London's sewage system etc. It's like the next door neighbour buying a new car on your credit card.

    I once worked out that the £1500 per head that Scots are meant to get more than the rest of the UK is actually around the amount Westminster spends on our behalf on Westminster things, as above.

    Even Deloitte understands that GERS has no bearings on the fiscal choices of an independent Scotland......shame thinking people don't accept that and expect Scotland to continue forever as if we were still in the UK.

    England has a deficit if considered on the same terms as Scotland, and that is without England paying for its own Parliament and administration etc, so are you saying England couldn't afford to be independent? In 2010, the UK's deficit, as a percentage of GDP was bigger than Scotland's is said to be now, did I hear anyone saying the UK couldn't afford to be independent?

    No it wasn't, if it is the same YouGov Poll at the end of August/begiining of September that I'm thinking about.....it said that 50% didn't want an immediate Referendum (ie before the UK exits the EU) And if I had been asked, which I wasn't, I'd have said the same. Other polls have up to 55% for a second referendum if it is a hard Brexit. The only poll by the Herald I ever heard about was a BMG one. Got a link that won't hit the paywall? I don't believe polls any more than I believe advertising or the UK media, anyway though.

    Re the Foreign Aid, UK Aid is, or at least was in 2013, channelled through big multilateral organisations and British firms..like KPMG...so it is a nice little earner for the Global Aid business. Scottish Aid is support for specific small projects being run by charities, and Emergency Aid as and when necessary.

  8. #48

    Default

    Logically I would like to see what BREXIT turns out to be and then see what an SNP indy scotland and their non BREXIT model would be, then people would have the information to make their minds up on what options are on the table, seeing as how neither have produced blue prints / strategies ( ok its a work in progress and I appreciate that its a complex situation ) how can I / people do that do that ? It is illogical to use BREXIT as yet unknown to try and force an indy referendum surely..people wouldnt know what they were voting for, just basically a trust us and we go or dont trust us and we remain based on very little hard evidence.

    PS Apparently we will know soon enough re Scots plans : IN todays Herald : A BLUEPRINT for a special post-Brexit deal between Scotland and the EU will be published by the end of the year.The detailed Scottish Government plans will explain how the country could maintain membership of the single market even if the rest of the UK leaves and proposals for sweeping new powers to be transferred to Holyrood. Can I say thats great as it will get meaningful debate going and also put the heat on May to get something out as WM's handling of the BREXIT situation is a shambles
    Last edited by rob murray; 27-Oct-16 at 09:18. Reason: update as per recent news

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Good for them. They'd have gone anyway if Labour had got in in 2016, and raised taxes, I suspect.

    Good Grief, bekisman, have you not yet grasped that no foreign country needs permission to use the pound, or the dollar or other currencies. What they need permission for is a currency union.....and that was what Westminster vetoed. Personally, I'm glad that option has been hit into the long grass.

    Scotland doesn't have any debt, Westminster has debt. Scotland, to date, has never knowingly borrowed a single solitary penny for anything. Scotland does, however have a deficit, which is not the same thing at all.And Scotland's annual deficit is predominantly down, not to what the SG spends in Scotland, but what Westminster spends, theoretically, on or on behalf of Scotland.

    The SG has no choice as to whether to pay a share of debt interest, defence costs, international services,the net cost of the bank interventions etc, and has no choice about having Westminster departments charging the SG because no devolved competency is completely devolved..so "head office" has to be funded, including, of course, the Scotland Office. We don't get a choice about undertaking expensive foreign "adventures",renewing Trident, funding HS2, the Olympics or the Channel Tunnel or London's sewage system etc. It's like the next door neighbour buying a new car on your credit card.

    I once worked out that the £1500 per head that Scots are meant to get more than the rest of the UK is actually around the amount Westminster spends on our behalf on Westminster things, as above.

    Even Deloitte understands that GERS has no bearings on the fiscal choices of an independent Scotland......shame thinking people don't accept that and expect Scotland to continue forever as if we were still in the UK.

    England has a deficit if considered on the same terms as Scotland, and that is without England paying for its own Parliament and administration etc, so are you saying England couldn't afford to be independent? In 2010, the UK's deficit, as a percentage of GDP was bigger than Scotland's is said to be now, did I hear anyone saying the UK couldn't afford to be independent?

    No it wasn't, if it is the same YouGov Poll at the end of August/begiining of September that I'm thinking about.....it said that 50% didn't want an immediate Referendum (ie before the UK exits the EU) And if I had been asked, which I wasn't, I'd have said the same. Other polls have up to 55% for a second referendum if it is a hard Brexit. The only poll by the Herald I ever heard about was a BMG one. Got a link that won't hit the paywall? I don't believe polls any more than I believe advertising or the UK media, anyway though.

    Re the Foreign Aid, UK Aid is, or at least was in 2013, channelled through big multilateral organisations and British firms..like KPMG...so it is a nice little earner for the Global Aid business. Scottish Aid is support for specific small projects being run by charities, and Emergency Aid as and when necessary.
    Usual waffle - hang your head in shame:http://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/rep...-scotland-2016 or is this 'Westminster's fault' (again)
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Logically I would like to see what BREXIT turns out to be and then see what an SNP indy scotland and their non BREXIT model would be, then people would have the information to make their minds up on what options are on the table, seeing as how neither have produced blue prints / strategies ( ok its a work in progress and I appreciate that its a complex situation ) how can I / people do that do that ? It is illogical to use BREXIT as yet unknown to try and force an indy referendum surely..people wouldnt know what they were voting for, just basically a trust us and we go or dont trust us and we remain based on very little hard evidence.

    PS Apparently we will know soon enough re Scots plans : IN todays Herald : A BLUEPRINT for a special post-Brexit deal between Scotland and the EU will be published by the end of the year.The detailed Scottish Government plans will explain how the country could maintain membership of the single market even if the rest of the UK leaves and proposals for sweeping new powers to be transferred to Holyrood. Can I say thats great as it will get meaningful debate going and also put the heat on May to get something out as WM's handling of the BREXIT situation is a shambles
    That is exactly why nobody but the relatively few want an immediate referendum, and they are mostly those who think declaring UDI would be a good idea. However, if as is being said, May et al manage to make "special arrangements" for London, for example, then that isn't going to go down well in Scotland. Many of us were already angry that the Fresh Talent system McConnell set up to try to reduce Scotland's "brain drain" , and which was taken up by the Labour government, was changed without warning by the Coalition, by May herself, when the Coalition scrapped the Post-Study Work Visa resulting in people here under it being threatened with deportation, and are now more angry that it has been re-introduced, for a "pilot period" but only in four English Universities, none even in areas which struggle for fresh blood (or any more blood).

    There are ways and ways to let Scotland stay in the EU, I believe, but without Independence that takes the Westminster Government to agree and negotiate for us,afaik, and currently it appears to be a case of "do as you are told". I believe too, though I have not seen anything definitive, just heard it when I was out this afternoon, that Nissan has been given a "special deal" not to move out of the UK after Brexit.so if Westminster can't/won't do something for Scotland,(and NI and Gibraltar), while they are ensuring the jobs are safe in London and Sunderland, then they only have themselves to blame for what happens to the Union.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Usual waffle - hang your head in shame:http://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/rep...-scotland-2016 or is this 'Westminster's fault' (again)

    Which part of " A combination of increasing costs, staffing pressures and unprecedented savings targets" in a country with a limited income, subject to ongoing cuts in that income, and no control over immigration, all a result of Westminster decisions, leads you to believe it is the fault of the SG? They spent more than they were allocated for health spending in PESA.....but a finite pot of money can't pay for an infinite level of monetary support to services.

    Maybe if we didn't have to help fund Westminster's deficit and debt, we could afford to put more money into areas important to us.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Which part of " A combination of increasing costs, staffing pressures and unprecedented savings targets" in a country with a limited income, subject to ongoing cuts in that income, and no control over immigration, all a result of Westminster decisions, leads you to believe it is the fault of the SG? They spent more than they were allocated for health spending in PESA.....but a finite pot of money can't pay for an infinite level of monetary support to services.

    Maybe if we didn't have to help fund Westminster's deficit and debt, we could afford to put more money into areas important to us.
    Weird where an extra 9 million appeared from to send overseas that could have been spent on the NHS from the overall pot.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Which part of " A combination of increasing costs, staffing pressures and unprecedented savings targets" in a country with a limited income, subject to ongoing cuts in that income, and no control over immigration, all a result of Westminster decisions, leads you to believe it is the fault of the SG? They spent more than they were allocated for health spending in PESA.....but a finite pot of money can't pay for an infinite level of monetary support to services.

    Maybe if we didn't have to help fund Westminster's deficit and debt, we could afford to put more money into areas important to us.
    Oh my Goodness.. you really are using a Nelson eye; in case you missed it: "The Audit Scotland report said health boards would have to make "unprecedented" savings this year. And it said NHS Scotland had failed to meet seven of its eight key waiting times targets." .."Health boards will need to make "unprecedented savings" this year and there is a risk that some will not be able to balance their budgets, its report states.Boards are also struggling to meet the majority of key national targets in areas such as waiting times and the major shift in care from hospitals to the community has not happened."
    Oh yes I see today the 'Indy Camp eviction appeal thrown out' thought they were staying there til Scotland was Independent? come on then MUST have been that Westminster lot who dd that
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

  14. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Oh my Goodness.. you really are using a Nelson eye; in case you missed it: "The Audit Scotland report said health boards would have to make "unprecedented" savings this year. And it said NHS Scotland had failed to meet seven of its eight key waiting times targets." .."Health boards will need to make "unprecedented savings" this year and there is a risk that some will not be able to balance their budgets, its report states.Boards are also struggling to meet the majority of key national targets in areas such as waiting times and the major shift in care from hospitals to the community has not happened."
    Oh yes I see today the 'Indy Camp eviction appeal thrown out' thought they were staying there til Scotland was Independent? come on then MUST have been that Westminster lot who dd that
    read this "alternative" take on Scots economy : http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk...tlands-wealth/

    Notice that tucked away is a neat little reference to the past ie if Scotland had £'s in the past then we would be massively wealthy.....but its the future that counts as we cant undo the past no matter how "true" the content of the article is.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Oh my Goodness.. you really are using a Nelson eye; in case you missed it: "The Audit Scotland report said health boards would have to make "unprecedented" savings this year. And it said NHS Scotland had failed to meet seven of its eight key waiting times targets." .."Health boards will need to make "unprecedented savings" this year and there is a risk that some will not be able to balance their budgets, its report states.Boards are also struggling to meet the majority of key national targets in areas such as waiting times and the major shift in care from hospitals to the community has not happened."
    Oh yes I see today the 'Indy Camp eviction appeal thrown out' thought they were staying there til Scotland was Independent? come on then MUST have been that Westminster lot who dd that
    The Scottish government has been trying to protect NHS scotland from cuts but something has to give way. There has been a 7% cut in the block grant from westminster in relation to Health spending so which Scottish government would not impose cuts in response to that?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The Scottish government has been trying to protect NHS scotland from cuts but something has to give way. There has been a 7% cut in the block grant from westminster in relation to Health spending so which Scottish government would not impose cuts in response to that?
    Maybe an idea to stop sending £10,000,000 in overseas aid (the SNP gave an extra £1,000,000 this year) it's the UNITED KINGDOM that deals with aid, NOT parts of the UK - I did a bit of research and seems that it could show - in the minds of SNP - that an independent Scotland could manage to give OA without help from UK.. eh? duh!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Maybe an idea to stop sending £10,000,000 in overseas aid (the SNP gave an extra £1,000,000 this year) it's the UNITED KINGDOM that deals with aid, NOT parts of the UK - I did a bit of research and seems that it could show - in the minds of SNP - that an independent Scotland could manage to give OA without help from UK.. eh? duh!
    I would welcome an independent Scotland to give overseas aid. It has to be appropriate and commensurate with the ability to give and the needs of the recipient.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I would welcome an independent Scotland to give overseas aid. It has to be appropriate and commensurate with the ability to give and the needs of the recipient.

    "the ability to give"????
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    "the ability to give"????
    Definitely!!!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Strathy
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    "SUPPORT FOR INDEPENDENCE SINKS" Oh dear, oh dear (Hot off the press, Today November 30th)
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/su...inks-0j2bc7jxc
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •