Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Can Supermeat Save the Planet?!

Default Can Supermeat Save the Planet?!

Supermeat is real meat which has been grown artificially without the requirement for the slaughter of animals. The organisation behind the product say that the manufacturing of supermeat requires 99% less land than the land required to produce slaughtered meat and 96% less carbon emissions. Since 30% of the Earth's land area is used for the rearing of livestock for meat then this is potentially a big deal and a gamechanger for the environment and its sustainability. It takes about 6 acres of land to produce slaughtered meat for every meateater.

Could this be the death knell for the meat industry? If it uses less resources and land then it has to be more affordable to the consumer after skim pricing has worn off. The meat industry is one of the leading causes of climate change and it could be gone with just a bit of marketing and better production methods.

What could we do with all that spare land if it isn't being used? Massive land reserves for nature? Cheap land for affordable housing? Could we walk again in a natural British landscape where the butterflies could return?

Could Supermeat result in a decline in political power of land ownership in the western world? It could democratise our land, the benefits could be endless.

http://supermeat.com/
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

The planet doesn't need saving, or at least not for a couple of billion years...

So... No... SuperMeat will not save the planet. Does sound interesting though.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."