Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
SNP MSP 's qoutes : "We have to be really careful and not rush this. It's unlikely we'll get what we want from the Brexit process but we have to build a solid economic case for independence among those who voted No in 2014. That looks like a second referendum after 2020. The polls show they're not there yet. The bottom line is: we can't afford to lose another one." So why is Sturgeon comming out with the indy for indys sake arguement when more informed party MSP's obviously see the battleground as being fought on the economic case Sturgeon ( yet again ) the case for full self-government ultimately transcends the issues of Brexit, of oil, of national wealth and balance sheets and of passing political fads and trends”. SO independence for independence sake, after all what more can you expect from a nationalist party.....IS this a case of throwing red meat to the committed yessers if so thats no way to make converts, she's sounding more Salmon like by the day !
It would depend on how long it takes to trigger article 50 and how the negotiations are going. I suspect if the UK gets the deal they are claiming they are going to get, which seems little short of all the EU benefits without any of the costs...like freedom of movement, following EU laws, and having to hand over money, it won't happen until we see how it goes.

Can you see the Tories going into next year's council elections without having triggered Brexit, because I can't...as the Brexiteers will surely punish them at the ballot box. so a May 2017 trigger would make it more like before mid 2019. At least there is the blessing that it won't be a two year high profile campaign, though likely a low-key one from now to whenever....and one I'm hoping won't produce another tome like the White Paper....the activists won't have time to read it.

But how things change in a couple of years....in 2014, Mundell was saying "Leaving the EU would be an absolute disaster for Scotland" and now he is saying " Brexit has amazing possibilities for Scotland." I think politicians are a bit like weather vanes which move with the prevailing wind.