Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    You obviously haven't read him calling Councillor Willie Mackay a rapist then!
    No, I didn't read that, but I tend not to read too much about things I have no interest in.

As I said, I have met Rheghead and I doubt if he would set out to deliberately offend or upset anyone.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    From Cancer Research UK

Milk and dairy are good sources of calcium and protein which are needed as part of a healthy, balanced diet. Calcium is important for teeth and bone health.
    Studies looking into the link between cancer and dairy products have not given clear results. There is evidence that dairy products could reduce the risk of bowel cancer, but we cannot say for sure that this is the case. There is no strong evidence linking dairy products to any other types of cancer. We need further research to find out more about the links between dairy products and cancer risk.

Read more at http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abou...fcxoumzlVxO.99
    It is very interesting why CancerResearchUK play down the cancer risks that are associated with dairy products despite all the scientific studies on this thread that suggest something different is true. I like to compare this phenomenon of denial to Greenpeace's refusal to assign 15-20% of anthropological greenhouse gases to animal agriculture like beef and dairy. Why would a major international environmental organisation like Greenpeace ignore animal agriculture which is scientifically accepted as a major contributor to Climate Change? Why would Greenpeace be more keen to advise you to recycle your egg cartons instead of the blatantly obvious?

Why won't they say, 'cut out the dairy and meat and you can cut your carbon footprint by up to 20%'?

The answer to that question is hidden by how they operate. They are charities which rely on subscriptions and donations. It is safer for them to blame something that everyone agrees is to blame like deforestation, more runways, fossil fuels and poor insulation. They also need a bogieman like the Koch brothers to firm up their message. Heck, they don't even tell you that 70% of the Amazonian Rainforest is being felled to make space for grazing for the meat industry, they'd prefer to tell you it is down to mining or palm oil production! So they are not going to tell you to make lifestyle choices which are deemed to be unpopular because they fear their donations will suffer. You only have to read the negative comments on this thread to realise that there would be a serious backlash if household-name charities started to tell everyone to cut out dairy and meat from their diet.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Bing bong. Medication time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The link between snoring and consuming dairy products is very real. Snoring kids may sound trivial or even humorous but apnoea is the cessation of breathing during sleep and is an extreme form of snoring.

http://www.snore.net/cows-and-snoring/

OK this is probably your least scientific post/link.

And there's a whiff of the fanatic in the air....

The link between mucus and milk, I think comes from Ayurvedic medicine, but clinical trials have found no link:

We conclude that no statistically significant overall association can be detected between milk and dairy product intake and symptoms of mucus production in healthy adults, either asymptomatic or symptomatic, with rhinovirus infection.
    link

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    OK this is probably your least scientific post/link.

And there's a whiff of the fanatic in the air....

The link between mucus and milk, I think comes from Ayurvedic medicine, but clinical trials have found no link:

We conclude that no statistically significant overall association can be detected between milk and dairy product intake and symptoms of mucus production in healthy adults, either asymptomatic or symptomatic, with rhinovirus infection.
    link
    I'm afraid that does not disprove the link between milk and mucus or snoring/apnoea. The people in the study were already suffering from a cold and the mucus levels were detected to be up to 30g. Now even I would concede that mucus secretions due to the consumption of milk would be difficult to detect in amongst the secretions detected when someone had a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I have met Rheghead and he is a steady sensible person, however that doesn't mean I would agree with all he says, but I also think that is no excuse to be rude because your opinion is different.
    He's a crank.

I disagree, I take him to be an intelligent bloke that enjoys robust debate.
    He believes passionately in what he is saying and supports his ideas with passion and research, but many try to discredit him with snide one liners.
    I don't agree with much of his argument, particularly as I spent many years in the dairy industry milking cows, but he has his right to put what point he believes in and does it eloquently.
    Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    He's a crank.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

No, he's definitely a crank.

White Settler Hippy. Exposed to too much radiation I think.

Quote Originally Posted by onespace View Post
    Exposed to too much radiation I think.
    Or not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I disagree, I take him to be an intelligent bloke that enjoys robust debate.
    He believes passionately in what he is saying and supports his ideas with passion and research, but many try to discredit him with snide one liners.
    I don't agree with much of his argument, particularly as I spent many years in the dairy industry milking cows, but he has his right to put what point he believes in and does it eloquently.
    We can both be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by the dictionaty
    Crank (informal): an eccentric or odd person, esp someone who stubbornly maintains unusual views.

I know. Why don't we stop eating and drinking altogether? That way we won't put ourselves at risk of cancer, although unfortunately for the majority of us we will all die of starvation.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    Rheghead are you suggesting we become vegans, so apart from not eating meat eggs & dairy what else does it involve presume you wear plastic shoes etc tho I new a vegan that wore leather trousers, that confused the hell out of me
    There is no such thing as a vegan.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No-Such-Thing-As-A-Vegan.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	31072
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    I know. Why don't we stop eating and drinking altogether? That way we won't put ourselves at risk of cancer, although unfortunately for the majority of us we will all die of starvation.
    I disagree with this. We can still eat well. 70% of crops are fed to animals who are butchered for meat. I have heard that it takes about 10lbs of plant protein to produce 1lb of animal protein. If we gave up eating meat and dairy then there would be a surplus capacity to produce food which is both nourishing and doesn't pose a significant cancer risk.

This is a post on Richard Gere's FB page https://www.facebook.com/RGereOnline...WSFEED&fref=nf

"My friend's mom has eaten healthy all her life. Never ever consumed alcohol or any "bad" food, exercised every day, very limber, very active, took all supplements suggested by her doctor, never went in the sun without sunscreen and when she did it was for as short a period as possible- so pretty much she protected her health with the utmost that anyone could. She is now 76 and has skin cancer, bone marrow cancer and extreme osteoporosis.
    My friend's father eats bacon on top ...of bacon, butter on top of butter, fat on top of fat, never and I mean never exercised, was out in the sun burnt to a crisp every summer, he basically took the approach to live life to his fullest and not as others suggest. He is 81 and the doctors says his health is that of a young person.
    People you cannot hide from your poison. It's out there and it will find you so in the words of my friend's still living mother: " if I would have known my life would end this way I would have lived it more to the fullest enjoying everything I was told not to!"
    None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else."

Bad choice of role model here. We all know what Richard Gete gets up to with furry quadrupeds.

Quote Originally Posted by onespace View Post
    Bad choice of role model here. We all know what Richard Gete gets up to with furry quadrupeds.
    But who raped who?

The dairy industry and some UK cancer charities have been guilty of overly promoting the 'protective properties' to just one kind of cancer. colorectal cancer, that dairy products may provide. However, eating processed meat increases the risk of colorectal cancer, to give some context, just one sausage per day could increase your risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. So whilst I support that dairy products may reduce the risk of developing colorectal cancer, I have to say that the risk of developing this cancer is one that is of the dairy and meat industry's own making in the first place.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/wo...-causes-cancer

What about vapour trails?

There is evidence to link eating a lot of red meat and processed meat with a slightly higher risk of developing colorectal cancer amongst any particular group of people. But this will (and always does, with cancer) depend upon individual genetic/mutation factors which determine whether a person will develop cancer. My frustration with your postings on this thread are that you make something that is incredibly complicated- ie the generation of cancer in any particular individual, sound simplistic. It is simply wrong to say that eating one sausage each day necessarily increases individual risk- it may do but equally, it may not. In any event, the last time I looked, milk and dairy did not fall under the heading of red and processed meat.
    I challenge you to phone or email Cancer Research UK (they are always approachable) and discuss it with them and put the answers you receive on here. Unlike yourself, (I presume), they are the ones actually studying cancer and evaluating research which includes putting absolutely everything and every study to properly conducted and peer reviewed scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    My frustration with your postings on this thread are that you make something that is incredibly complicated- ie the generation of cancer in any particular individual, sound simplistic. It is simply wrong to say that eating one sausage each day necessarily increases individual risk- it may do but equally, it may not. In any event, the last time I looked, milk and dairy did not fall under the heading of red and processed meat.
    There is nothing complicated in eating meat and dairy will raise your risk in developing cancer. It is not my words. Take your frustration out on the World Health Organisation whose own research agency has categorised red meat as a probable carcinogen. I have repeated study after study that suggests eating red meat and dairy is associated with higher rates of cancer. Your post reminds me about what tobacco companies would say about cigarettes.

I will repeat the words in the article;

Twenty-two experts from 10 countries reviewed more than 800 studies to reach their conclusions. They found that eating 50 grams of processed meat every day increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. That’s the equivalent of about 4 strips of bacon or 1 hot dog. For red meat, there was evidence of increased risk of colorectal, pancreatic, and prostate cancer.

I'm sorry but you can ignore that evidence if you wish, you can even get frustrated by it, I do not care, all I am concerned about is that you should have the best evidence before you so that you can make your own choices about your own lifestyle.

Are you connected with the meat and dairy industry?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 16-Nov-16 at 18:12.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast