Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    By dietary intervention with a Palaeolithic-type diet, the dermatologist has the chance to attenuate patients' increased mTORC1 signalling by reducing glycaemic load and milk consumption, which may not only improve acne but may delay the march to more serious mTORC1-driven diseases of civilisation.'

The only argument I have with your postings is that they are simplistic on a topic that is incredibly complex.
    There is nothng complex about how giving up eating meat and dairy products will improve your health and the environment. It doesn't take a change in government, it doesn't take a revolution, it doesn't take any medication, it doesn't take any effort and it certaily doesn't take any more money. If you think it does take then then you are ideologically bonded to eating those products by social conditioning thoughout your life.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

'By dietary intervention with a Palaeolithic-type diet, the dermatologist has the chance to attenuate patients' increased mTORC1 signalling by reducing glycaemic load and milk consumption, which may not only improve acne but may delay the march to more serious mTORC1-driven diseases of civilisation.'

Hate to say it but a palaeolithic diet definitely would have included eating meat!
    The only argument I have with your postings is that they are simplistic on a topic that is incredibly complex. There actually is evidence that people who eat a lot of red meat are at increased risk of various cancers but not that moderate consumption is an issue. There is a definite connection too between obesity and cancer. It is the second greatest risk factor after smoking. But it does not follow that eating dairy products or red meat in moderation is going to 'cause cancer' or necessarily make you fat. There are many more factors involved in whether a person is obese or not as most of us already know as there is in whether someone develops cancer.
    All vertebrate animals get cancers. Is it simply a matter of them eating the wrong diet then, in your view. If we could only persuade all the carnivores to become vegans, would they be risk free- no, of course not .Equally, are the herbivores eating the wrong diet because some of them develop cancer. No, anymore than it is true of people. Sadly, vegetarians and vegans get cancer too and in any individual, no scientist or medic is going to appoint a definitive cause unless there is overwhelming evidence such as high exposure to radiation or workplace asbestos or something like that. Also, if a person develops cancer, believe me the last thing that they need in dealing with the disease and its treatment is to be led to believe that its somehow their fault and that is the logical conclusion of your posts with regard to eating meat and dairy products.
    Cancer generation is incredibly complex and you simply cannot say, as this thread is headed, that 'dairy products cause cancer'.
    I would urge anyone who is concerned about all of this to look at the Cancer Research UK website where you can find all the up to date information backed up peer reviewed research.
    Are you just opposed to cutting out meat and dairy from your diet or are you opposed to everyone doing it?

I've nothing more to say, Rheg. You just carry on!

I've nothing more to say, Rheg. You just carry on!
    OK no problems. The thing that disturbs me with your 'palaeo' diet angle was that I thought you were selling me an ideology of this is how our ancestors survived so we must do the same. Well the paleo diet is actually a fad diet. some of it is good some of it is bad. It also calls for no dairy, wheat and a whole host of other products. But the whole premise is that we should eat like our ancestors before the advent of farming. Since the vast majority, i think 90%+ of our animal products come from factory farms then the ideology is stretching it just a tad. We are not exactly up to the task of gathering into groups and taking down the next mammoth that comes our way.

Think this topic has been done to death, everything in moderation would be a sensible idea, Rheg you speak with the zeal of the newly converted, we all make decisions in life. either right or wrong & hammering us on the head with your reports sometimes has a negative effect

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    Think this topic has been done to death, everything in moderation would be a sensible idea, Rheg you speak with the zeal of the newly converted, we all make decisions in life. either right or wrong & hammering us on the head with your reports sometimes has a negative effect
    I think you only want to close down this debate because you find it conflicts with your own personal choices. On the other hand, I think knowledge is fantastic, it doesn't cost anything and you can do anything with it except destroy it.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 02-Oct-16 at 14:08.

I know this thread has been done to death, but just been reading BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37549578

An interesting line says

Humans probably evolved hunger genes to cope in times of famine, say experts.

When food is scarce it makes sense to eat and store more fat to fend off starvation.

Lead researcher Prof Sadaf Farooqi, from the Wellcome Trust Medical Research Council Institute of Metabolic Science at the University of Cambridge, said the findings suggest that at least part of our food preferences are down to biology rather than free will.
    "Even if you tightly control the appearance and taste of food, our brains can detect the nutrient content

Apart from palm oil, I don't know of any plants that can give the body the fats we want/need. I just have to accept I am genetically programmed to eat fat and cannot use free will to escape my love of dairy & meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    I know this thread has been done to death, but just been reading BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37549578

An interesting line says

Humans probably evolved hunger genes to cope in times of famine, say experts.

When food is scarce it makes sense to eat and store more fat to fend off starvation.

Lead researcher Prof Sadaf Farooqi, from the Wellcome Trust Medical Research Council Institute of Metabolic Science at the University of Cambridge, said the findings suggest that at least part of our food preferences are down to biology rather than free will.
    "Even if you tightly control the appearance and taste of food, our brains can detect the nutrient content

Apart from palm oil, I don't know of any plants that can give the body the fats we want/need. I just have to accept I am genetically programmed to eat fat and cannot use free will to escape my love of dairy & meat.
    This is the crucial issue though. Biologically, we are living in constant Summer with central heating, shelter, and food all year round. We don't go through famine through the winter, we do not need to build up body fat to keep us going. We have invented and adapted beyond the biological need to adapt to famine and feast.

I have seen it written on a few websites that consuming animal protein has the comparable health risks to smoking a cigarette. Well I think it is pretty conclusive from the studies that I have linked to that there is a cancer risk. However cigarettes are addictive and people who are addicted to cigarettes will not see that they are addicted and they will actually play down the risks that are associated with smoking. But that can't be the case with eating dairy products as they are not addictive.......or so we thought but can we be sure about that? Could there be something in dairy that make us addicted to them? Well if you look at people's responses to a vegan's lifestyle you get the same impression that there is an addictive element because dairy-eaters are largely hostile, which is very similar to a smoker who claims they are lectured to by a non-smoker. It would not then be unreasonable to think there is an addictive element to animal products. In fact it is overly obvious to me that this may be the case because they will not listen, they know best and they will not be lectured by people who know better, despite all the evidence of health benefits. So i decided to investigate...

Well there does seem to be an addictive element. When casein, the main protein in dairy products is broken down by the digestive tract, a by-product is released into the body. It is an opiate called casomorphin. Just like a smoker is a slave to nicotine, a dairy eater is equally slave to their 'fix'. This chemical is in charge of their free-will, they are not in charge. It seems to me that dairy-eaters are unable to make a rational decision to cut down their intake of dairy to avoid the health risks because they need their 'high'. Only going cold turnip will get them weaned off their addiction but that takes support and knowledge.

To an addict of dairy products it would be absurd to have a plant-based diet like a vegan.

http://yumuniverse.com/addiction-to-...-casomorphins/
    Last edited by Rheghead; 12-Oct-16 at 11:52.

Why was the cheesemaker lopsided?
    Because he only had one stilton.

A study by the British Medical Journal challenges the conventional wisdom that drinking plenty of milk helps to strengthen bones. In fact the study suggests that the opposite is true and drinking plenty of milk actually increases the risk of fracture, especially in women. The authors of the study recommend caution when interpreting the results and recommend further study.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

However in total contrast, another study showed that women who drank soya milk instead showed the opposite trend, their risk of fracture and osteoporosis actually decreased.

The suggestion seems to be very clear, if you want strong bones then avoid animal based sources of calcium and eat and drink plant based sources of calcium like soya milk and green leafy vegetables.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3218100/

just catching up with this thread,
    per post #88 and the link there, as I have previously mentioned you have emphasized the possible benefits of a vegetarian diet without looking at the risks. From the same study:

Vegans may have a greater challenge in meeting the nutritional adequacy for vitamin B12, protein, and calcium compared to lacto-ovo-vegetarians and meat-eaters...
    Vitamin B12 deficiency may increase CVD risk factors [70], and is associated for a wide range of neurological disorders [71].

Default Give Me Strength

Staying alive seems to have become so scientific that I feel like ending it all.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Staying alive seems to have become so scientific that I feel like ending it all.
    That sounds like a healthy option seeing as most damage done to the body comes from the byproducts of burning oxygen.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    just catching up with this thread,
    per post #88 and the link there, as I have previously mentioned you have emphasized the possible benefits of a vegetarian diet without looking at the risks. From the same study:

Vegans may have a greater challenge in meeting the nutritional adequacy for vitamin B12, protein, and calcium compared to lacto-ovo-vegetarians and meat-eaters...
    Vitamin B12 deficiency may increase CVD risk factors [70], and is associated for a wide range of neurological disorders [71].
    There are no vitamin or nutrient deficiencies with a vegan diet.

Vitamin B12 is not produced by any plant or animal and is only produced by bacteria. So the thrust of the message is , yes, vegans need to source vitamin B12, but that just means that everyone, even meateaters need to source vitamin B12 from their diet. It is not really that difficult to think about.

But what is really going to bake your noodle is that the meat industry regularly injects vitamin B12 into their animals as a supplement because it is recognised that livestock is not getting enough vitamin B12 in their diet. In other words and as a consequence, meateaters take supplements in their food chain to get enough vitamin B12.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 23-Oct-16 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    There are no vitamin or nutrient deficiencies with a vegan diet.

Vitamin B12 is not produced by any plant or animal and is only produced by bacteria. So the thrust of the message is , yes, vegans need to source vitamin B12, but that just means that everyone, even meateaters need to source vitamin B12 from their diet. It is not really that difficult to think about.

But what is really going to bake your noodle is that the meat industry regularly injects vitamin B12 into their animals as a supplement because it is recognised that livestock is not getting enough vitamin B12 in their diet. In other words and as a consequence, meateaters take supplements in their food chain to get enough vitamin B12.
    I don't bake my noodles thanks!

Well it may be sold to farmers that their livestock are deficient in B12 but are they really? In some cases the supplementation will be giving them excess B12.

I'm not worried about sourcing my B12, I'm just worried about yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    I don't bake my noodles thanks!

Well it may be sold to farmers that their livestock are deficient in B12 but are they really? In some cases the supplementation will be giving them excess B12.

I'm not worried about sourcing my B12, I'm just worried about yours!
    Don't worry about mine. I'm getting plenty of B12. B12 deficiency is prevalent in meateater diets. It is non discriminatory.

There is nothng complex.
    There's a complex in your heat-oppress'd brain, mate.

Another study which suggests that there may be a link between the consumption of cows milk with Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12948848

Sleep apnoea in children is associated with higher levels of bovine casomorphin from milk which may explain the SIDS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21478761
    Last edited by Rheghead; 29-Oct-16 at 17:39.

At last an end to the snoring children scourge.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast