Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Eggs are bad for our heart. High cholesterol. Egg consumption was compared with smoking.

Carotid total plaque area (TPA) increases linearly with age. TPA increases exponentially with smoking pack-years. TPA increases exponentially with egg-yolk years. The effect size of egg yolks appears to be approximately 2/3 that of smoking. Probably egg yolks should be avoided by persons at risk of vascular disease.

http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.c...504-7/abstract
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-...s-are-healthy/

Quote from above article.....This makes eggs a great food choice for vegetarians,

https://authoritynutrition.com/why-a...-good-for-you/

Above link....Eggs Do Not Cause Heart Disease

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/29/should-i-eat-more-eggs

Quote from link.....
    The British Heart Foundation not only dropped its advice to limit eggs to three a week in 2007, but now has egg recipes (and not just for egg-white omelettes) on its website.

Also......
    Eggs feature prominently in the Palaeolithic diet as a nutritious food that stone age man or woman would have gobbled down

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eggs-nutrition.aspx

Above link...The NHS (far more trustworthy than your links
    ..... Eggs are a good choice as part of a healthy, balanced diet.

Shame I can't find a 'smiley' that conveys my current thoughts on you warped views

What happens to the male chicks?
    They are gassed as a rule. Why would we want to rear male chicks that don't produce eggs. I would have thought that would be obvious. What you need to remember before you get all tearful is that even the female chicks only live for 72 weeks. I would have thought being gassed at birth would be preferable to 72 weeks of a living hell being looked after by money grabbing farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    They are gassed as a rule. Why would we want to rear male chicks that don't produce eggs. I would have thought that would be obvious. What you need to remember before you get all tearful is that even the female chicks only live for 72 weeks. I would have thought being gassed at birth would be preferable to 72 weeks of a living hell being looked after by money grabbing farmers.
    You said it, not me. But some egg producers just throw them into a grinder alive. A real cruelty is involvved with just owning chickens. They have been selectively bred to ovulate 250-300 times per year. Birds in the wild ovulate about 12-20 times a year. This pressure to ovulate puts a huge strain on the bird's body making them calcium dificient and short lived as you have admitted.

If you eat eggs then you are basically condoning this cruelty.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 22-Feb-17 at 19:20.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-...s-are-healthy/

Quote from above article.....This makes eggs a great food choice for vegetarians,

https://authoritynutrition.com/why-a...-good-for-you/

Above link....Eggs Do Not Cause Heart Disease

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/29/should-i-eat-more-eggs

Quote from link.....
    The British Heart Foundation not only dropped its advice to limit eggs to three a week in 2007, but now has egg recipes (and not just for egg-white omelettes) on its website.

Also......
    Eggs feature prominently in the Palaeolithic diet as a nutritious food that stone age man or woman would have gobbled down

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eggs-nutrition.aspx

Above link...The NHS (far more trustworthy than your links
    ..... Eggs are a good choice as part of a healthy, balanced diet.

Shame I can't find a 'smiley' that conveys my current thoughts on you warped views

The British Heart Foundation is another charity that has toned down its advice about unhealthy foods in the wake of entering a corporate donor arrangement with Tesco, the largest retailer of groceries in the UK. They are buying off charities who threaten their profits, I think we touched on this with Cancer Research UK.

The important thing is to keep the profits rolling in, even at the expense of people's health.

In the UK today, around 4.2 million people are living with Type 2 diabetes, and an estimated 7 million people are living with heart and circulatory disease.

Did you know that having Type 2 diabetes can double your risk of developing heart and circulatory disease?

That’s why Diabetes UK, the British Heart Foundation and Tesco are working together to raise funds to inspire millions of people to eat better, get active and reduce their risk of developing these largely preventable conditions. We want to help people learn new ways of cooking, how to fit activity into their daily lives and look after their health.
    http://tescocharitypartnership.org.uk/

I wasn't going to comment on this thread anymore, but I had to post this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39040146

Male life expectancy is rising quickly as is almost all life expectancy despite Rhegheads assertion that we are all heading for an early grave.

Men catching up

The study, published in the Lancet, also shows the gap in life expectancy between women and men is closing.
    Prof Ezzati said: "Men traditionally had unhealthier lifestyles, and so shorter life expectancies.
    "They smoked and drank more, and had more road traffic accidents and homicides, however, as lifestyles become more similar between men and women, so does their longevity."

Rheghead, please note this isn't one of your biased US pro vegetarian links, this is The Lancet.....lets see you run them down, or will it be a first and you accept you are wrong. I wont hold my breath.

My advice....ignore everything that Rheghead posts, and keep doing what you are doing if you want to live a HAPPY and long life.
    Longer life expectancy has nothing to do with eating animal products. It has more to do with a better understanding of medicine, hygiene, health and exercise, better working conditions. Trying to put longer life expectancy down to eating animals is just clearly wrong in the light of all the scientific evidence that suggest meat and dairy consumption is linked to obesity, cancer, diabetes, stroke and a whole host of other diseases. You should be ashamed of yourself. But you are a farmer so I guess you have your own interests to look after.

[QUOTE=Goodfellers;1161840]
    Eggs are bad for our heart. High cholesterol. Egg consumption was compared with smoking.

Carotid total plaque area (TPA) increases linearly with age. TPA increases exponentially with smoking pack-years. TPA increases exponentially with egg-yolk years. The effect size of egg yolks appears to be approximately 2/3 that of smoking. Probably egg yolks should be avoided by persons at risk of vascular disease.
    Stop making statements that are not true......what the 'research' says is

This
    hypothesis should be tested in a prospective study with more detailed information about diet, and other possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference.

​Do you actually read what you post, or do you see a few words you like then post?
    Ahem, I just merely copied and pasted the interpretation of the paper and now you are claiming I'm distorting the science, please get a hold of yourself and stop twisting my posts.

The paper just proposed further study into this field of study. The interpretation was sound that eggs should be avoided with people with heart disease. Since you get acquired heart disease by eating foods with high levels of ldl cholesterol like eggs, meat and dairy then it is you that is twisting or playing down the conclusions of the study.

Meat eggs and dairy are bad for LDL cholesterol which makes us at higher risk of heart disease. Plants do not have LDL cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    It'll be a cold day in hell before I turn vegan; three years ago I tried a strictly vegetarian diet for a month, I was glad when it was over and celebrated with 4 bacon sandwiches. We've all read countless reports over the years about how almost everything is bad for us in one way or another but there's always the caveat, 'in moderation', so I shall continue to enjoy dairy products, red meat and drink beer in moderation and die happy.

I recall meeting you Rheghead and you came across as a genuinely nice guy, but my god, you can be very sanctimonious.
    No sanctimony intended but I can see why that accusation would be thrown from a position of scientific and factual weakness.

This is big, Germany has now banned meat at all its official functions citing the impact on the environment.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...ons/ar-AAn9p9f

This is big, Germany has now banned meat at all its official functions citing the impact on the environment.

I'm sure we could arrange a whip-round for a one way ticket. Everyone will want to contribute I bet

I'm sure we could arrange a whip-round for a one way ticket. Everyone will want to contribute I bet
    Thanks Goodfellers, you're a gift from Heaven.

Another cohort study, this time involving over 100,000 people in Sweden that showed that higher mortality and hip fractures (especially in women) were associated with dairy product consumption. This goes against the accepted advice that dairy is good for bones and teeth. However, only 30% of calcium is absorbed through animals products but plants can give greater absorption rates.

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

Have you no respect for people who fought and died to keep German rules out of Britain?

Vegetarianism and German government; that worked well last time did'nt it.

No sanctimony intended but I can see why that accusation would be thrown from a position of scientific and factual weakness.
    Not just scientific and factual weakness, also a huge dollop of being sick of do-gooders telling others how to live their lives. I think you missed your calling to be an MP. ��

great statement, however when you read into it, it appears that it's one rule for guests at functions and another for staff who put out the decree.....just about says it all!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ministry-bans/

But Ms Hendricks has been accused of hypocrisy after it emerged that the ban only applies to official functions, and that meat and fish are still available to ministry officials in the staff canteen.

[QUOTE=Rheghead;1161870]You said it, not me. But some egg producers just throw them into a grinder alive. A real cruelty is involvved with just owning chickens. They have been selectively bred to ovulate 250-300 times per year. Birds in the wild ovulate about 12-20 times a year. This pressure to ovulate puts a huge strain on the bird's body making them calcium dificient and short lived as you have admitted.

If you eat eggs then you are basically condoning this cruelty.[/QUOTE

Let me get this straight. you claim humans evolved bigger brains by natural selection (rather than eating high protein meat) BUT
    when farmers use natural selection to improve productivity, it's an abhorrent practice?

Where is your evidence for calcium deficiency?
    Laying hens are fed a very balanced diet which is formulated to maintain optimum health. Why would hens be deprived of calcium as it is calcium that forms the shell? A sick/poorly bird does not lay eggs. As it's all about profit, birds get as much calcium as they need which is the cheapest component of their feed. At 60 weeks old they are given additional calcium in the form of oyster shells because at this age they lay the largest eggs and large eggs require more shell.

We have had ex layers as pets and they live longer than any wild fowl so your statement that they have a short life is not entirely true, they will live for nearly nine years if we let them. We chose to slaughter hens at 72 weeks because they are uneconomic. It's all about profit. Hens that eat more than the value of the eggs they lay are not profitable.

When hens go to slaughter, a ministry vet is on site checking bird health. if more than a tiny % have damaged breast bones or damaged legs, we get paid nothing. When you have just sent off 16,000 hens (approx. 30 tonnes) you want them in tip top condition.

Find a different source for your outdated biased opinion of modern farming practices in the UK, which has some of the most rigorously enforced welfare standards in the world.

Longer life expectancy has nothing to do with eating animal products. It has more to do with a better understanding of medicine, hygiene, health and exercise, better working conditions. Trying to put longer life expectancy down to eating animals is just clearly wrong in the light of all the scientific evidence that suggest meat and dairy consumption is linked to obesity, cancer, diabetes, stroke and a whole host of other diseases. You should be ashamed of yourself. But you are a farmer so I guess you have your own interests to look after.
    You should be ashamed of yourself..............Why?
    Trying to put longer life expectancy down to eating animals is just clearly wrong........Where do I claim that?

​All the Lancet study says is that life expectancy is rising.......none of the study group converted to vegetarianism to increase their life expectancy. The group did nothing other than reduce alcohol and reduce smoking........So if you read my post properly I am saying you don't need to become a vegetarian to live longer.

Quote Originally Posted by smithp View Post
    Vegetarianism and German government; that worked well last time did'nt it.
    Goebbels' propaganda still working well I see.

It seems we should be eating twice as many fruit and vegetables as the current recommendations to reap the benefits of our custom made herbivore physiology. Where do we leave room for animal protein? The answer is we don't need to, the advantages are all in the plants.

Eating loads of fruit and vegetables - 10 portions a day - may give us longer lives, say researchers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39057146

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Not just scientific and factual weakness, also a huge dollop of being sick of do-gooders telling others how to live their lives. I think you missed your calling to be an MP. ��
    Doing good is a virtue.