Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

Sids, I agee

He is without a doubt, one of the most stubborn deniers I have ever had the misfortune to spar with. Ever bit of 'research' he posts is 'the truth' and anything anyone else posts 'is lies'. I am going to post one more entry defending the farming industry then like everyone else, I am going to leave him to it as he is beyond saving.

denier1

noun

• A person who denies something, especially someone who refuses to admit the truth of a concept or proposition that is supported by the majority of scientific or historical evidence.
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 20-Feb-17 at 11:02.

Default Rheghead.......farmers do an amazing job

Had you been around at the end of the Second World War and suffered food rationing for many years, you would understand what an amazing job the farming industry does.
    The Agriculture Act 1947 paved the way for intensive farming. As I mentioned in earlier posts I produced eggs on a 140,000 intensive farm and a 32,000 bird free range unit. So hens and eggs are my area of expertise.
    After 1947 the government wanted farmers to produce far more produce than had ever been achieved before. This they (we) did with remarkable success. Egg production has more than doubled. I understand from arable friends, they have achieved even better results with grain production.
    Of course profit comes into it. Who in their right mind wants to work seven days a week EVERY day of the year just to break even?
    The government asked us to feed the nation and this has been done admirably despite the bleaters like you.
    Have you ever been inside a commercial cage unit pre 2012? I doubt it. I invited both the BBC and ITV in and allowed both to film anywhere they wanted. I was not ashamed of what I was doing. The birds were well looked after and despite your view intensive caged birds are amongst the healthiest there are. The do not need anti biotics, they only eat clean fresh food and water. I used to have egg eating vegetarians come to the farm and buy intensive eggs over free range as free range birds eat anything that moves i.e. worms insects even baby rats.
    Instead of running down the UK farming industry, you should be thanking us for securing the food supply for all, including you.
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 20-Feb-17 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Had you been around at the end of the Second World War and suffered food rationing for many years, you would understand what an amazing job the farming industry does.
    The Agriculture Act 1947 paved the way for intensive farming. As I mentioned in earlier posts I produced eggs on a 140,000 intensive farm and a 32,000 bird free range unit. So hens and eggs are my area of expertise.
    After 1947 the government wanted farmers to produce far more produce than had ever been achieved before. This they (we) did with remarkable success. Egg production has more than doubled. I understand from arable friends, they have achieved even better results with grain production.
    Of course profit comes into it. Who in their right mind wants to work seven days a week EVERY day of the year just to break even?
    The government asked us to feed the nation and this has been done admirably despite the bleaters like you.
    Have you ever been inside a commercial cage unit pre 2012? I doubt it. I invited both the BBC and ITV in and allowed both to film anywhere they wanted. I was not ashamed of what I was doing. The birds were well looked after and despite your view intensive caged birds are amongst the healthiest there are. The do not need anti biotics, they only eat clean fresh food and water. I used to have egg eating vegetarians come to the farm and buy intensive eggs over free range as free range birds eat anything that moves i.e. worms insects even baby rats.
    Instead of running down the UK farming industry, you should be thanking us for securing the food supply for all, including you.
    What happens to the male chicks?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Let me guess....you dismiss the Telegraph as not scientific enough, as compared to your biased links
    The bulk of my links have been scientific studies. Science is not biased, it is science.

Sids, I agee

He is without a doubt, one of the most stubborn deniers I have ever had the misfortune to spar with. Ever bit of 'research' he posts is 'the truth' and anything anyone else posts 'is lies'. I am going to post one more entry defending the farming industry then like everyone else, I am going to leave him to it as he is beyond saving.

denier1

noun

• A person who denies something, especially someone who refuses to admit the truth of a concept or proposition that is supported by the majority of scientific or historical evidence.
    All I have done is to raise awareness that eating animal products give rise to health, environmental and ethical problems. When I started this investigation, everyone thought there was no truth in that animal products were bad for us. I have provided scientific links to prove my point. You can deny all you like about your actions but that is the truth. To be honest, thou doth protest to much. If you are responsible for industrial damage to peoples health, animal health and the environment, then be proud of it. Don't try to kid me otherwise when the scientific evidence doesn't show it. If the cap fits then wear it!

There's a large amount of cognitive dissonance on display here. We really do know that eating animals and their secretions are bad for us and we know that the slaughter of animals is going on on an industrial scale but we keep on eating those products. We claim to love animals and the landscape and yet to justify our tastes we have compartmentalised our thirst for blood.

Thousands of male chicks dumped as industrial waste. They would have been ground up anyway. Pseudo air of concern abound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-39015085

Eggs are bad for our heart. High cholesterol. Egg consumption was compared with smoking.

Carotid total plaque area (TPA) increases linearly with age. TPA increases exponentially with smoking pack-years. TPA increases exponentially with egg-yolk years. The effect size of egg yolks appears to be approximately 2/3 that of smoking. Probably egg yolks should be avoided by persons at risk of vascular disease.

http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.c...504-7/abstract

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The bulk of my links have been scientific studies. Science is not biased, it is science.
    If everything was paid for by one central organisation maybe, but meanwhile in the real world where there are all sorts of implications on funding etc, I doubt it very much and I doubt you believe it either

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyc View Post
    If everything was paid for by one central organisation maybe, but meanwhile in the real world where there are all sorts of implications on funding etc, I doubt it very much and I doubt you believe it either
    I'm acutely aware of where funding comes from for carrying out a study and to provide links to independent research. I've not seen a study yet that has been sponsored by a major dairy that shows dairy products pose a significant increased risk to cancer. Which begs the question if they're sitting on a pile of studies that do show risks to health from consuming dairy products.

I might believe you, were you a scientist.

It has been erroneously long held in modern culture that eating red meat is associated with masculinity. Men take charge of the BBQ and traditionally carve the turkey at festive holidays. But apparently the reverse could be true.

RESULTS:

Only few studies assessed the role or the effect of diet on ED. A dietary pattern which is high in fruit, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, and fish but low in red and processed meat and refined grains is more represented in subjects without ED. Mediterranean diet has been proposed as a healthy dietary pattern based on evidence that greater adherence to this diet is associated with lower all-cause and disease-specific survival. In type 2 diabetic men, those with the highest adherence to the Mediterranean diet had the lowest prevalence of ED and were more likely to be sexually active. In clinical trials, Mediterranean diet was more effective than a control diet in ameliorating ED or restoring absent ED in people with obesity or metabolic syndrome.
    CONCLUSION:

The adoption of a Mediterranean diet may be associated with an improvement of erectile dysfunction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20487239

It has been erroneously long held in modern culture that eating red meat is associated with masculinity. Men take charge of the BBQ and traditionally carve the turkey at festive holidays. But apparently the reverse could be true.....

.....The adoption of a Mediterranean diet may be associated with an improvement of erectile dysfunction.
    What is the reverse of men carving a turkey?

Say what you like about Mediterranean folks, but they get through a hell of a lot of pork, drink and fags.

The consumption of meat is a risk factor in the development of type 2 diabetes.

Abstract
    AIMS/HYPOTHESIS:

A diet rich in meat has been reported to contribute to the risk of type 2 diabetes. The present study aims to investigate the association between meat consumption and incident type 2 diabetes in the EPIC-InterAct study, a large prospective case-cohort study nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study.
    METHODS:

During 11.7 years of follow-up, 12,403 incident cases of type 2 diabetes were identified among 340,234 adults from eight European countries. A centre-stratified random subsample of 16,835 individuals was selected in order to perform a case-cohort design. Prentice-weighted Cox regression analyses were used to estimate HR and 95% CI for incident diabetes according to meat consumption.
    RESULTS:

Overall, multivariate analyses showed significant positive associations with incident type 2 diabetes for increasing consumption of total meat (50 g increments: HR 1.08; 95% CI 1.05, 1.12), red meat (HR 1.08; 95% CI 1.03, 1.13) and processed meat (HR 1.12; 95% CI 1.05, 1.19), and a borderline positive association with meat iron intake. Effect modifications by sex and class of BMI were observed. In men, the results of the overall analyses were confirmed. In women, the association with total and red meat persisted, although attenuated, while an association with poultry consumption also emerged (HR 1.20; 95% CI 1.07, 1.34). These associations were not evident among obese participants.
    CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION:

This prospective study confirms a positive association between high consumption of total and red meat and incident type 2 diabetes in a large cohort of European adults.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22983636

Oh for the love of god, do you get some kind of perverse pleasure in trying to frighten people ? My mother who was 88 died last year, she did everything you are telling people not to do, yet she did not die of cancer and she was not diabetic. You can bang on for anther 22 pages about what people should and should not eat because if they do they may get this or they may get that.

It is all irrelevant, the only certainty in life is death, nobody and I do mean nobody, not even you, gets out of this alive.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Oh for the love of god, do you get some kind of perverse pleasure in trying to frighten people ? My mother who was 88 died last year, she did everything you are telling people not to do, yet she did not die of cancer and she was not diabetic. You can bang on for anther 22 pages about what people should and should not eat because if they do they may get this or they may get that.

It is all irrelevant, the only certainty in life is death, nobody and I do mean nobody, not even you, gets out of this alive.
    What have you against raising awareness about the unhealthy aspects of consuming meat products? If you don't like the subject then don't click on it. It really is that simple. I'm promoting health, a better environment and better animal welfare. Those are all positive things in life. Get over yourself. If I was promoting something that was unhealthy, damages the environment or hurting animals for sport or food then I guess nobody would bat an eyelid.

Why is it so terrible for you?

Me get over myself ?? You really are having a laugh. It is absolutely your way or no way. Anybody dares disagree with your "promotional vendetta" and you come down on them like a ton of bricks. As far as I know, we are all adults on this forum, all capable of doing our own research if we wish and drawing our own conclusions.

Let's look at this little scenario, everybody turns vegetarian/vegan overnight, all your "promoting" has worked. What do you think is going to happen to all the sheep/cattle/pigs, that you care so much about ?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    What do you think is going to happen to all the sheep/cattle/pigs, that you care so much about ?
    I only care about the planet and its habitats and ecosystems, the health of the human race and welfare of animals. Farming animals is the biggest cause of loss of biodiversity.

If we all went vegan gradually (not overnight) there will eventually be no livestock in the fields and then the land will return to a natural landscape which would be rich in wildlife. There will be no profit in keeping the land looking like a farm. The butterflies of meadows will return. We would see animals living naturally in the wild, predator vs prey, it will be a rich and rewarding landscape to enjoy. They would have plenty of land to roam, unhindered by humans. Our planet would be much healthier, we could stabilise the rising global temperatures.

There is little point in worrying about the welfare of farm animals that are extinct when we could have a much richer alternative.

The reason I sound autocratic is because I make sense. You just do not want to give up your meat to realise a better way of living.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 21-Feb-17 at 23:14.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I turn vegan; three years ago I tried a strictly vegetarian diet for a month, I was glad when it was over and celebrated with 4 bacon sandwiches. We've all read countless reports over the years about how almost everything is bad for us in one way or another but there's always the caveat, 'in moderation', so I shall continue to enjoy dairy products, red meat and drink beer in moderation and die happy.

I recall meeting you Rheghead and you came across as a genuinely nice guy, but my god, you can be very sanctimonious.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread anymore, but I had to post this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39040146

Male life expectancy is rising quickly as is almost all life expectancy despite Rhegheads assertion that we are all heading for an early grave.

Men catching up

The study, published in the Lancet, also shows the gap in life expectancy between women and men is closing.
    Prof Ezzati said: "Men traditionally had unhealthier lifestyles, and so shorter life expectancies.
    "They smoked and drank more, and had more road traffic accidents and homicides, however, as lifestyles become more similar between men and women, so does their longevity."

Rheghead, please note this isn't one of your biased US pro vegetarian links, this is The Lancet.....lets see you run them down, or will it be a first and you accept you are wrong. I wont hold my breath.

My advice....ignore everything that Rheghead posts, and keep doing what you are doing if you want to live a HAPPY and long life.

[QUOTE=Rheghead;1161771]Eggs are bad for our heart. High cholesterol. Egg consumption was compared with smoking.

Carotid total plaque area (TPA) increases linearly with age. TPA increases exponentially with smoking pack-years. TPA increases exponentially with egg-yolk years. The effect size of egg yolks appears to be approximately 2/3 that of smoking. Probably egg yolks should be avoided by persons at risk of vascular disease.
    Stop making statements that are not true......what the 'research' says is

This
    hypothesis should be tested in a prospective study with more detailed information about diet, and other possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference.

​Do you actually read what you post, or do you see a few words you like then post?