Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

A report by the meat industry on the meat and poultry industry states;

Further, the report states that one challenge in market is health risks associated with consumption of processed meat. Due to health risks associated with processed meat, consumers in the US are reducing the consumption of such food products. Excessive consumption of processed meat may lead to increased risk of premature deaths. It was observed that individuals consuming processed meat were at a 72% increased risk of acquiring a heart disease than consumers of non-processed meat. Also, the risk of dying from cancer was 11% higher. A study conducted by the American Institute of Cancer in 2007 stated that 50 g of processed meat consumed daily increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 21%. A study published in the Journal of Diabetology highlighted the increased risk of the intake of processed meat leading to type 2 diabetes at 41%.
    https://www.whatech.com/market-resea...uipment-market
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Rheghead:

Some questions that need answering.

Why are almost all humans meat eaters?
    Why is the human race so successful?
    Why has life expectance consistently risen?
    Life expectancy has risen faster alongside the increased consumption of meat and dairy. Why?
    Why don’t the great apes rule the planet, they are far larger and stronger than us and as true vegetarians eat a far better diet than us?
    Why has our brain developed to such a huge (comparatively) size despite our poor diet?
    Could the planet feed a population of 7,484,540,473 (@8.07AM today)?
    Do not make the mistake of looking at available land space. As a farmer I can tell you that most land (especially in this area) will not support vegetables. Veg needs top quality soil to thrive whereas livestock will thrive on relatively poor soil that will only support grass, thereby making good use of land that is otherwise‘redundant’.
    From your posts I assume you would also advocate organic practises. How do you plan to fertilise enough crops to feed 7.5 billion people?
    I know an organic farmer in Dorset who uses a huge number of rat traps to protect his grain; do the lives of the rats not count in your ethical world? This is common practice on all farms including organic
    Once you have answered all these questions to my satisfaction, I will set the next lot.
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 15-Feb-17 at 09:32.

Actually, most primates including the great apes are omnivores. The only ones that are not are the Orangutans. Humans evolved as omnivores, certainly eating a lot of plants based foods but also, eating fish and shell fish and meat (sparingly). Fish and shellfish have never entered into the discussions on here. Why?
    Yes, I would be interested to read Rheg's responses to your questions as well.
    Another fact I came across is that the vast majority of people who attempt veganism lapse within 12 months for various reasons but usually, they do attempt to eat more ethically and perhaps sparingly of animal products after they have lapsed.
    If all people turned vegan overnight, all domestic herds would be slaughtered as it would be uneconomic to keep them and the fields would be empty and desolate. Is that the utopia that Rheghead wants to see, I do not know. Also, as you say, in very many of the scientific studies he refers to, the lab animals being used and in whom the results are obtained, are mice. Mice are far from ideal animals to use for extrapolation as to what might happen in humans, that is why they have to be so highly modified genetically in the first place. Their metabolism and everything else differs vastly to that of our own as they are rodents and we are primates and we are vastly more complex. But lab mice are the best that is available and their exploitation is just about tolerated ethically. Nevertheless, what about their 'rights' or does Rheg's concern and much trumpeted 'love of animals' only extend to the animals that people eat or obtain milk from? Why is Rheghead not calling for the mass slaughter of all those evil carnivores or is it only wrong for humans to eat other animals? I personally 'feel' for the wildebeest and the zebra and the gazelles or deer etc in all those graphic wildlife films that we have probably all seen as they are pulled down by lions, leopards, cheetahs, wolves or whatever it might happen to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Rheghead:

Some questions that need answering.

Why are almost all humans meat eaters? Humans mostly eat plants but they will eat meat when available. Meat is nutritious, it can be tasty and delicious and has proteins and vital minerals in it.
    Why is the human race so successful? By what yardstick do you measure success? Inventiveness? Living in peace and harmony? etc
    Why has life expectance consistently risen? Better water, better food production, better medicine, better knowledge, science really.
    Life expectancy has risen faster alongside the increased consumption of meat and dairy. Why? See above answers.
    Why don’t the great apes rule the planet, they are far larger and stronger than us and as true vegetarians eat a far better diet than us? For the same reasons why shrimps and tigers don't rule the planet. They are not smart enough.
    Why has our brain developed to such a huge (comparatively) size despite our poor diet? It has evolved by natural selection, being smarter is our advantage.
    Could the planet feed a population of 7,484,540,473 (@8.07AM today)? No.
    , at least not in harmony with the rest of the animals that live here.

Do not make the mistake of looking at available land space. As a farmer I can tell you that most land (especially in this area) will not support vegetables. Veg needs top quality soil to thrive whereas livestock will thrive on relatively poor soil that will only support grass, thereby making good use of land that is otherwise‘redundant’. Redundant land is good. It takes 10kg of plants protein to produce 1kg of animal protein. And some authors of studies has suggested that it takes 18 times more land to produce food for a meateater than a vegan. Those equations suggest to me that we do not need to farm up here to produce plenty food, we could leave it barren and let nature take its course. A large chunk of the UK is farmed to produce food for the population but the work only supports 2% of the population. That is a lot of land that is suffering damage to its natural biodiversity.
    From your posts I assume you would also advocate organic practises. How do you plan to fertilise enough crops to feed 7.5 billion people? You assume a lot. The truth is that we need to use less artificial fertilisers if we went vegan due to the explanation on land use that I wrote above. Because there will be more land availavle in a vegan world to grow crops for humans, there will also be more land to leave fallow to allow the soil to rejuvenate naturally. The reality is that we are already using a huge amount of artificial fertilisers due to the intensive nature of modern livestock farming practices and the pressure to grow that food to feed to animals. Planting crops just for ourselves will be less demanding on the soils. In reality, we could actually feed much more people on a vegan world than we barely do today.
    I know an organic farmer in Dorset who uses a huge number of rat traps to protect his grain; do the lives of the rats not count in your ethical world? Oh please, the poor little rats and mice argument, didumsie! The truth is that because we will be growing less crops in a vegan world then there will be less casualties. This is common practice on all farms including organic
    Once you have answered all these questions to my satisfaction, I will set the next lot.
    None of my answers will be to your satisfaction as you see veganism as a threat to your way of life.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 15-Feb-17 at 23:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Actually, most primates including the great apes are omnivores. The only ones that are not are the Orangutans. Humans evolved as omnivores, certainly eating a lot of plants based foods but also, eating fish and shell fish and meat (sparingly). Fish and shellfish have never entered into the discussions on here. Why?
    Yes, I would be interested to read Rheg's responses to your questions as well.
    Another fact I came across is that the vast majority of people who attempt veganism lapse within 12 months for various reasons but usually, they do attempt to eat more ethically and perhaps sparingly of animal products after they have lapsed.
    If all people turned vegan overnight, all domestic herds would be slaughtered as it would be uneconomic to keep them and the fields would be empty and desolate. Is that the utopia that Rheghead wants to see, I do not know. Also, as you say, in very many of the scientific studies he refers to, the lab animals being used and in whom the results are obtained, are mice. Mice are far from ideal animals to use for extrapolation as to what might happen in humans, that is why they have to be so highly modified genetically in the first place. Their metabolism and everything else differs vastly to that of our own as they are rodents and we are primates and we are vastly more complex. But lab mice are the best that is available and their exploitation is just about tolerated ethically. Nevertheless, what about their 'rights' or does Rheg's concern and much trumpeted 'love of animals' only extend to the animals that people eat or obtain milk from? Why is Rheghead not calling for the mass slaughter of all those evil carnivores or is it only wrong for humans to eat other animals? I personally 'feel' for the wildebeest and the zebra and the gazelles or deer etc in all those graphic wildlife films that we have probably all seen as they are pulled down by lions, leopards, cheetahs, wolves or whatever it might happen to be.
    Chimpanzees and all the great apes (including us) are herbivores physically. Chimpanzees are behavoral omnivores like us, but their natural diet is about 2-3% animals, 60% of which is insects. A poor example.

You are right, the fields would be empty at first if we all went vegan overnight, that is a fanciful though, a gradual phase out is more likely. But if it did then nature would take its course and we would see the natural fauna of the British isles return in large expanses of the countryside. We'd have so much land available that it would make sense to encourage it to be natural by the reintroduction of extinct species. It would be a Palaeolithic wildlife park where noble creatures could once again live wild.

Default dairy profucts

Jurassic Park ??? that didn't end too well

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Chimpanzees and all the great apes (including us) are herbivores physically. Chimpanzees are behavoral omnivores like us, but their natural diet is about 2-3% animals, 60% of which is insects. A poor example.

You are right, the fields would be empty at first if we all went vegan overnight, that is a fanciful though, a gradual phase out is more likely. But if it did then nature would take its course and we would see the natural fauna of the British isles return in large expanses of the countryside. We'd have so much land available that it would make sense to encourage it to be natural by the reintroduction of extinct species. It would be a Palaeolithic wildlife park where noble creatures could once again live wild.
    Yet again, you come to some very odd conclusions with your vision of Utopia.

Question 1 What is the land area of the whole of the UK? (This is completely different to usable agricultural land)
    Answer 60.1973 million acres

Question 2 What is the current population of the UK?
    Answer 65,363,172

This equates to less than one acre/person. A large proportion of this acreage will be mountainous, moorland or otherwise unproductive for growing food.

I want my acre to be productive land in somewhere like Lincolnshire.

After reading your strange views on here I suggest your acre (Rheghead, just in case anyone wasn't sure) be on the top of Ben Nevis, where you can survey your Utopian world where the people are starving and wild animals from our distant history savage what's left of the population.

Keep taking the tablets!!!!!!!!!!! ( no anger, just exasperation )Ps I think typing in red is far more 'angry' than using an !
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 16-Feb-17 at 14:45.

Or you could walk across a road and get hit by a bus, then all these years of worrying about what causes cancer was all for nothing. For goodness sake just live your life, if you worry about every single morsel of food you ingest, the stress will get you.

Well, one 'vision' of the future poses a very different scenario and that is, with desertifiation taking over many productive lands in the south due to global warming, there will be mass migration of starving people to the remaining fertile lands in the north that are still capable of cultivation- of which Scotland will be one. Hence it will not be the 'Palaeolithic' wildlife that we need to fear (do you have some insider knowledge then, Rheghead, of the reincarnation of the likes of the sabre toothed tiger that the rest of us don't know about?) but one another.
    There is, I'm afraid, no getting away from the benefits of animal based foods to omnivores and that is why in evolutionary terms, these foods have been and are sought after. Look at grizzly bears. What do they hunt when they are preparing for hibernation? Fatty, succulent oily salmon and they gorge on that to build up their fat reserves to see them through. As for chimpanzees, well they occasionally hunt monkeys and there is no doubt about the blood lust and the absolute craving for meat (uncomfortable to watch as it is quite close to home, I think) that every single one of them in the group exhibits.
    There are no naturally living human tribes who do not hunt and eat game when they can catch it and when they are successful, they celebrate it. It is not true either to say that these people are unhealthy. The Inuit eat a high fat, totally meat based diet but they do not suffer high rates of either cancer or heart disease. The same is true of the Masai. There may well be genetic factors at work in these people and that is the whole point. There are genetic factors at work in every single one of us which is why population studies of apparent food risks are interesting at population level but of dubious value at an individual level. We all know this and are capable of making up our own minds as to what is right for us to eat and in what proportions etc etc and as I have said before, there is not a single study in existence that proves that a modest, occasional serving of meat is any way harmful.

Well, one 'vision' of the future poses a very different scenario and that is, with desertifiation taking over many productive lands in the south due to global warming, there will be mass migration of starving people to the remaining fertile lands in the north that are still capable of cultivation- of which Scotland will be one. Hence it will not be the 'Palaeolithic' wildlife that we need to fear (do you have some insider knowledge then, Rheghead, of the reincarnation of the likes of the sabre toothed tiger that the rest of us don't know about?) but one another.
    There is, I'm afraid, no getting away from the benefits of animal based foods to omnivores and that is why in evolutionary terms, these foods have been and are sought after. Look at grizzly bears. What do they hunt when they are preparing for hibernation? Fatty, succulent oily salmon and they gorge on that to build up their fat reserves to see them through. As for chimpanzees, well they occasionally hunt monkeys and there is no doubt about the blood lust and the absolute craving for meat (uncomfortable to watch as it is quite close to home, I think) that every single one of them in the group exhibits.
    There are no naturally living human tribes who do not hunt and eat game when they can catch it and when they are successful, they celebrate it. It is not true either to say that these people are unhealthy. The Inuit eat a high fat, totally meat based diet but they do not suffer high rates of either cancer or heart disease. The same is true of the Masai. There may well be genetic factors at work in these people and that is the whole point. There are genetic factors at work in every single one of us which is why population studies of apparent food risks are interesting at population level but of dubious value at an individual level. We all know this and are capable of making up our own minds as to what is right for us to eat and in what proportions etc etc and as I have said before, there is not a single study in existence that proves that a modest, occasional serving of meat is any way harmful.
    I thought you were out of here? If you think we need to promote clean energy to prevent Global environmental damage then I glad you share that concern.

As always, the foundation principle of your argument is deeply flawed.

We are not bears. We do not hibernate and bears have carnivore physiology. They do not suffer from atherosclerosis, they can eat as much meat as they like.

Also your comments about Inuit are also misleading. As far as I know, most Caithnessians do not have Inuit ancestry so the premise is irrelevent. So if you are asking me to look at the Inuit as a justification for the consumption of meat globally then it would be very shaky ground indeed.

The Inuit and other aboriginal Canadians are on average more obese than other Canadians. They have higher rates of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Lung cancer rates are higher. They are susceptible to stroke at twice the rate. Compared to the general population of Canada, Inuit have a higher incidence of liver, oesophageal, nasopharyngeal, and salivary cancer. However, they have lower rates (not non-existent)of breast, prostate, and endometrial cancers. Meat eating is linked to lung cancer (though smoking is probablty the biggest cause), cardiovascular disease, diabetes and stroke.

https://www.itk.ca/wp-content/upload...riesFINAL2.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Yet again, you come to some very odd conclusions with your vision of Utopia.

Question 1 What is the land area of the whole of the UK? (This is completely different to usable agricultural land)
    Answer 60.1973 million acres

Question 2 What is the current population of the UK?
    Answer 65,363,172

This equates to less than one acre/person. A large proportion of this acreage will be mountainous, moorland or otherwise unproductive for growing food.

I want my acre to be productive land in somewhere like Lincolnshire.

After reading your strange views on here I suggest your acre (Rheghead, just in case anyone wasn't sure) be on the top of Ben Nevis, where you can survey your Utopian world where the people are starving and wild animals from our distant history savage what's left of the population.

Keep taking the tablets!!!!!!!!!!! ( no anger, just exasperation )Ps I think typing in red is far more 'angry' than using an !
    Please attack the arguments, not the person, it is getting tiresome and it just shows you up.

The people wouldn't be starving, on the contrary, we would have much more food to eat and we could even cure world hunger.

Again you have not provided a justification for industrialised livestock farming, the cancer, the cruelty, the bloodshed, the sexual assaults and the loss of biodiversity. Please provide reasons as to why it is undesirable to have a healthy lifestyle, a healthy, planet and a natural landscape full of animals and plants to live in and admire. Provide one single reason why eating meat is beneficial to your health, the animals and the environment. I know you are a farmer, so you must be an expert in these matters unless your profits and dependency on subsidies are clouding your judgement?

Upland farming is very damaging to the environment and it one of the major causes of loss of biodiversity, eg sheep farming and heath burning for grouse shooting as well as being a major of carbon emissions. It prevents trees getting a foothold and providing shelter for animals in the future.

Overall livestock is estimated to be responsible for about 18% of all man-made greenhouse gases. That is more than all the fossil fuels used for transportation.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 16-Feb-17 at 18:56.

You do not seem to know very much about bears, Rheghead. Although they all belong to the order Carnivora, most species are omnivores like ourselves. The only ones that are not are the polar bear (a true carnivore, although even they have been observed chewing on roots in times of starvation while waiting for the sea ice to re-form so that they can hunt) and the bamboo eating Giant Panda. The point I was making, which I really think was quite apparent though you seem to have missed it, was not to liken human beings to bears but to underline the nutritional value to an omnivore of eating flesh. Comparison between the highly diet- restricted Giant Panda and the omnivorous Grizzly further illustrates the point. The pandas have such a poor diet that they struggle to fulfil their nutritional needs and are only able to produce one cub (sometimes not even that) every 2 years and they are endangered whereas Grizzly and Brown bears commonly produce and rear 2 or even 3 cubs at a time. Being an omnivore allows animals and ourselves to exploit more ecological niches and opportunities and has conferred an evolutionary advantage. If not, it would have died out a long time ago.
    You have also (presumably deliberately) not taken on board the point that I was making about those races of people following their traditional lifestyle. The Inuit living in this way do not suffer high rates of cancer or heart disease, despite their high fat and pretty much entirely flesh eating diet. There are plenty of references to this if you Google it (and it has attracted a lot of study and attention) and it is called the ‘Inuit paradox’. (What happens to people when they are either forced or choose to give up that lifestyle and are exposed to the modern ills of addiction, inactivity, poverty, depression and the like is entirely another matter. This presumably, is what you are highlighting whereas I was not). However, the point is, and contrary to all your assertions, the Inuit provide proof that eating even a lot of meat does not necessarily equate to poor human health. The situation is far more complex than that.
    There is a link in western society between high red meat consumption (with no differentiation made between processed and non processed meat) and bowel cancer. It is stated that for people in the UK, bowel cancer is the third most common type of cancer. An estimated 38,000 new cases of bowel cancer are diagnosed each year and an estimated 16,000 people die from bowel cancer each year. Approximately 80% of bowel cancer cases develop in people who are over 60.
    An estimated 40,000 new cases of bowel cancer are diagnosed each year and about one in every 20 people in the UK will develop bowel cancer during their lifetime. Almost nine out of 10 people who develop bowel cancer are over 60. Also, People who smoke cigarettes are at greater risk of developing bowel cancer. Stopping smoking will reduce your risk.
    Obesity and being inactive are also linked to an increased risk of bowel cancer.

The overall increased risk from red meat eating of developing bowel cancer is very small. So small that some colorectal surgeons who are at the coal face when it comes to dealing with the disease pay it little heed. The studies that have been done are observational and rely on people accurately reporting what they eat. The flaws in this approach are notorious and well recognised. Studies have also not differentiated between other lifestyle factors; do the red meat eaters also eat lots of vegetables or very little; are they overweight or not; are they active or sedentary. Do they smoke; do they consume alcohol etc. My whole point is that (and here I will shout and use as many exclamation marks as you please), there is NO EVIDENCE that if meat is eaten sparingly as part of a balanced diet eating as wide a variety of foods as possible, that it is anything other than good for you. NOT A SINGLE STUDY proves otherwise. Current nutritional advice is not to cut out red meat from your diet completely but to eat it more sparingly, if you need and want to.
    For example, the TV presenter Nick Knowles has recently brought out a highly successful, no nonsense vegan cookbook. He went from being, by his own admission, a 3 meat meals a day man (clearly excessive) to now, being veggie 80% of the time. He looks and feels better but is not hung up about the other 20% of what he eats and continues to enjoy eating meat sparingly if he feels he wants to. If this had been your approach then I, for one, would be more on board with you.
    Aging is definitely the greatest risk factor for bowel cancer. So what should we conclude then- that none of us should grow old or should the over 60s give up eating meat. No!
    Red meat is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat.
    It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and various other nutrients that can have profound effects on health.
    A 100 gram (3.5 ounces) portion of raw ground beef (10% fat) contains (3):
    · Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 25% of the RDA.
    · Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): 37% of the RDA (this vitamin is unattainable from plant foods).
    · Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): 18% of the RDA.
    · Iron: 12% of the RDA (This is high quality heme-iron, which is absorbed much better than iron from plants).
    · Zinc: 32% of the RDA.
    · Selenium: 24% of the RDA.
    · Then there are plenty of other vitamins and minerals in there too, in smaller amounts.

Critically, these nutrients are recognised to be in the most bioavailable form- an important factor for the elderly in whom absorption of nutrients declines with aging. Many elderly people are short of iron, vitamin B 12 and selenium due to age-related mal-absorption and while there are undoubtedly plant sources for some of these, they are mostly in a form that is far harder to digest. Meat and animal based foods are a better source.
    It is also sensible and recommended everywhere to eat more oily fish and fish is likewise flesh and not vegan. Another issue that you refuse to address.
    ‘I thought you were out of here’.
    So much for your much heralded professions of ‘concern’ for the welfare of others. What are you afraid of Rheghead? Why are you so defensive of ‘your thread’- a bizarre concept anyway on what is supposed to be open discussion on a public forum, up for comment by all. Never mind, if you wait long enough, perhaps the ‘bad dudes’ will fade away and some militant vegans to whom you can fully relate and who will join you in denigrating the views of others will pop along to give you their support and you can then enjoy a mutual, oh so superior, veggie love in. I wish you joy in it.
    You are right though, I should be ‘out of here’ and I now will be. Before I go though, how dare you assert ‘that as always', your arguments are 'deeply flawed’ .What gives you that God given right? Try examining your own posts a little more critically. You remind me of some world leaders that are in the news a lot at present. Don’t like the facts, fine? Just make up some alternative facts and if you shout them loud enough, maybe people will believe you. Don’t like those who insist on an alternative view; fine? Just hound the messengers who proclaim those messages.
    Try to gracefully accept, if you possibly can, that the Palaolithic ancestors of us all, including you, were hunter gatherers. Denial simply won’t wash, I’m afraid. Look again at Palaeolithic rock art. Funnily enough, it does not depict collections of fruit and nuts and leaves; it depicts animals, some of them with arrows sticking out of their sides! Explain that one away if you can (and no doubt you will) but one thing that it certainly was not is an early submission for the Turner Prize! Likewise the butchered animal bones found in cave deposits. A strange thing for, (according to you), ‘human herbivores’ to be doing and associated with, don’t you think?
    I still feel sorry for you though. You are the one on the restricted diet not me but you just can't see it. As a mainly vegetarian (not vegan) person, all the foods that you eat are open to me (and are in my store cupboard, I can assure you) but my choices are so much broader and more interesting than yours. I eat ethically- it is perfectly possible to do that- and by the way, while on the subject, how dare you denigrate hard working, caring farmers the way that you have done on here? Shame on you. Where in Caithness does one find the bleak picture of animal husbandry that you portray- nowhere! Look around you and open your eyes. Visit a croft or a farm; perhaps you might learn something and let’s hope it begins with a dose of humility.
    Finally, (and I do not care if you believe it or not), I am a retired scientist. In the course of my life, I have worked in cancer research at a highly respected Scottish university; yes, in an actual lab, using actual, human cancer cells. It was team work that was published. I don’t claim any special credit for it- it was a long time ago- although I have also been individually published. All my family are either research scientists or medics. I understand something about the mechanisms of cancer, that is all I lay claim to, so do not ever again tell me (or anyone else on here for that matter) that my arguments are deeply flawed.
    That’s it.
    Last edited by Fulmar; 18-Feb-17 at 17:01.

You do not seem to know very much about bears, Rheghead. Although they all belong to the order Carnivora, most species are omnivores like ourselves. The only ones that are not are the polar bear (a true carnivore, although even they have been observed chewing on roots in times of starvation while waiting for the sea ice to re-form so that they can hunt) and the bamboo eating Giant Panda.You have not been reading my posts, selective reading. I have said on many occasion that bears are carnivores by physiology but omnivores by behavior. The point I was making, which I really think was quite apparent though you seem to have missed it, was not to liken human beings to bears but to underline the nutritional value to an omnivore of eating flesh. Comparison between the highly diet- restricted Giant Panda and the omnivorous Grizzly further illustrates the point. The pandas have such a poor diet that they struggle to fulfil their nutritional needs and are only able to produce one cub (sometimes not even that) every 2 years and they are endangered whereas Grizzly and Brown bears commonly produce and rear 2 or even 3 cubs at a time.The panda is related to a raccoon, not a bear Being an omnivore allows animals and ourselves to exploit more ecological niches and opportunities and has conferred an evolutionary advantage. If not, it would have died out a long time ago. Yes for animals in the wild, we are humans with a herbivore physiology
    You have also (presumably deliberately) not taken on board the point that I was making about those races of people following their traditional lifestyle. The Inuit living in this way do not suffer high rates of cancer or heart disease, despite their high fat and pretty much entirely flesh eating diet. There are plenty of references to this if you Google it (and it has attracted a lot of study and attention) and it is called the ‘Inuit paradox’. (What happens to people when they are either forced or choose to give up that lifestyle and are exposed to the modern ills of addiction, inactivity, poverty, depression and the like is entirely another matter. This presumably, is what you are highlighting whereas I was not). However, the point is, and contrary to all your assertions, the Inuit provide proof that eating even a lot of meat does not necessarily equate to poor human health. The situation is far more complex than that. You asserted that the Inuit had resistance to various things that were completely untrue. They suffer from less breast cancer but that could be down to that their terrain is less conducive to raising dairy animals. I supplied a link from the inuit community to support that
    There is a link in western society between high red meat consumption (with no differentiation made between processed and non processed meat) and bowel cancer. It is stated that for people in the UK, bowel cancer is the third most common type of cancer. An estimated 38,000 new cases of bowel cancer are diagnosed each year and an estimated 16,000 people die from bowel cancer each year. Approximately 80% of bowel cancer cases develop in people who are over 60.
    An estimated 40,000 new cases of bowel cancer are diagnosed each year and about one in every 20 people in the UK will develop bowel cancer during their lifetime. Almost nine out of 10 people who develop bowel cancer are over 60. Also, People who smoke cigarettes are at greater risk of developing bowel cancer. Stopping smoking will reduce your risk.
    Obesity and being inactive are also linked to an increased risk of bowel cancer.
    I'd say obesity and a lack of exercise is linked to eating meat which is linked to bowel cancer. Vegans tend to be more active, less obese. You need to prove causality instead of reaming off a list of correlations.

The overall increased risk from red meat eating of developing bowel cancer is very small. So small that some colorectal surgeons who are at the coal face when it comes to dealing with the disease pay it little heed. The studies that have been done are observational and rely on people accurately reporting what they eat. The flaws in this approach are notorious and well recognised. Studies have also not differentiated between other lifestyle factors; do the red meat eaters also eat lots of vegetables or very little; are they overweight or not; are they active or sedentary. Do they smoke; do they consume alcohol etc. My whole point is that (and here I will shout and use as many exclamation marks as you please), there is NO EVIDENCE that if meat is eaten sparingly as part of a balanced diet eating as wide a variety of foods as possible, that it is anything other than good for you. NOT A SINGLE STUDY proves otherwise. Current nutritional advice is not to cut out red meat from your diet completely but to eat it more sparingly, if you need and want to. Define sparingly. You know, people who claim to be able to smoke one cigarette every day really keep to that regime.
    For example, the TV presenter Nick Knowles has recently brought out a highly successful, no nonsense vegan cookbook. He went from being, by his own admission, a 3 meat meals a day man (clearly excessive) to now, being veggie 80% of the time. He looks and feels better but is not hung up about the other 20% of what he eats and continues to enjoy eating meat sparingly if he feels he wants to. If this had been your approach then I, for one, would be more on board with you. Good for him if he can keep to that. But if I know humans as I know humans, rarely do people stick with diets as it means counting calories and making an effort. They son relapse into their old ways. Vegans have a clear red line, no animal products in their diet. It is simple, healthy and easily kept.
    Aging is definitely the greatest risk factor for bowel cancer. So what should we conclude then- that none of us should grow old or should the over 60s give up eating meat. No!
    Red meat is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat.
    It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and various other nutrients that can have profound effects on health.
    A 100 gram (3.5 ounces) portion of raw ground beef (10% fat) contains (3):
    · Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 25% of the RDA.
    · Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): 37% of the RDA (this vitamin is unattainable from plant foods).
    · Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): 18% of the RDA.
    · Iron: 12% of the RDA (This is high quality heme-iron, which is absorbed much better than iron from plants).
    · Zinc: 32% of the RDA.
    · Selenium: 24% of the RDA.
    · Then there are plenty of other vitamins and minerals in there too, in smaller amounts.

A vegan diet can also provide all those nutrients. Vitamin B12 is not produced by animals either. It is injected into animals as a supplement
    Critically, these nutrients are recognised to be in the most bioavailable form- an important factor for the elderly in whom absorption of nutrients declines with aging. Many elderly people are short of iron, vitamin B 12 and selenium due to age-related mal-absorption and while there are undoubtedly plant sources for some of these, they are mostly in a form that is far harder to digest. Meat and animal based foods are a better source. That claim needs a scientific source to back it up
    It is also sensible and recommended everywhere to eat more oily fish and fish is likewise flesh and not vegan. Another issue that you refuse to address.
    ‘I thought you were out of here’.
    So much for your much heralded professions of ‘concern’ for the welfare of others. What are you afraid of Rheghead? Afraid? Get over yourselfWhy are you so defensive of ‘your thread’- a bizarre concept anyway on what is supposed to be open discussion on a public forum, up for comment by all. Never mind, if you wait long enough, perhaps the ‘bad dudes’ will fade away and some militant vegans to whom you can fully relate and who will join you in denigrating the views of others will pop along to give you their support and you can then enjoy a mutual, oh so superior, veggie love in. I wish you joy in it.
    I do not denigrate, I say it as it is, I provide links to studies. You have just waffled.

See above responses.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Feb-17 at 23:11.

You are right though, I should be ‘out of here’ and I now will be. Before I go though, how dare you assert ‘that as always', your arguments are 'deeply flawed’ .What gives you that God given right? God? You gave bogus premises for your arguments, that is a red rag to a bull for me.Try examining your own posts a little more critically. You remind me of some world leaders that are in the news a lot at present. Don’t like the facts, fine? Just make up some alternative facts and if you shout them loud enough, maybe people will believe you. Don’t like those who insist on an alternative view; fine? Just hound the messengers who proclaim those messages. Oh for goodness sakes. Made up facts? I've been posting lots of scientific studies and have been raising awareness about the health, environmental and ethical issues of eating animal products.
    Try to gracefully accept, if you possibly can, that the Palaolithic ancestors of us all, including you, were hunter gatherers. Denial simply won’t wash, I’m afraid. Look again at Palaeolithic rock art. Oh for goodness sakes, I have never claimed otherwise.Funnily enough, it does not depict collections of fruit and nuts and leaves; it depicts animals, some of them with arrows sticking out of their sides! Explain that one away if you can (and no doubt you will) but one thing that it certainly was not is an early submission for the Turner Prize! Likewise the butchered animal bones found in cave deposits. A strange thing for, (according to you), ‘human herbivores’ to be doing and associated with, don’t you think?Oh for goodness sakes, have you not been reading my posts or only the bits you disagree with? Those cave paintings were done about 30,000 years ago, we were already evolved as we are now for at least 120,000 years before that with herbivore physiology. I feel like banging my head against a wall
    I still feel sorry for you though. You are the one on the restricted diet not me but you just can't see it. As a mainly vegetarian (not vegan) person, all the foods that you eat are open to me (and are in my store cupboard, I can assure you) but my choices are so much broader and more interesting than yours. I eat ethically- it is perfectly possible to do that- and by the way, while on the subject, how dare you denigrate hard working, caring farmers the way that you have done on here? You can work hard on something irrespective of the ethical implications, it doesn't give them an excuse. Shame on you. Where in Caithness does one find the bleak picture of animal husbandry that you portray- nowhere! Animal husbandry is all around us. Just because it happens here does make it kind or anyway benign. Look around you and open your eyes. Visit a croft or a farm; perhaps you might learn something and let’s hope it begins with a dose of humility.
    Finally, (and I do not care if you believe it or not), I am a retired scientist.You fooled me. In the course of my life, I have worked in cancer research at a highly respected Scottish university; yes, in an actual lab, using actual, human cancer cells. It was team work that was published. I don’t claim any special credit for it- it was a long time ago- although I have also been individually published. All my family are either research scientists or medics. I understand something about the mechanisms of cancer, that is all I lay claim to, so do not ever again tell me (or anyone else on here for that matter) that my arguments are deeply flawed.
    That’s it.
    As I showed above in red. Your views are deeply flawed. I have provided links to lots of studies that has shown beyond any doubt that there is a significant link between eating meat and dairy to an increased risk of developing cancer. It also has devastating consequences for the health of the planet as well. The ethical issues are fairly straightforward.

Boring now not many interested let's get on

25% of all abattoirs in England and Wales failed basic hygiene tests raising fears of contaminated meat getting into the food chain.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...irs-fail-tests

raising fears
    A coward dies a thousand deaths.

25% of all abattoirs in England and Wales failed basic hygiene tests raising fears of contaminated meat getting into the food chain.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...irs-fail-tests
    How absolutely pathetic.

You're getting desperate now Rheg. How many household kitchens would fail the same rigorous tests. Answer almost all.

As a vegetarian, you may not understand that cooking meat kills the bacteria. you will struggle to find any research that shows properly cooked meat is dangerous....apart from in your world where all meat is bad.

How did abattoirs in Scotland fair? I see you failed to mention them.

As an aside, how many vegetarian restaurants are there in Caithness? Surely there are enough of your disciples to sustain several?

I understand a famous vegetarian was as zealous as you...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...rian-diet.html

Let me guess....you dismiss the Telegraph as not scientific enough, as compared to your biased links that I have shown to disagree with what you claim....you casually ignore those posts though....ummm says a lot about your character. Do you have a food taster? Now for a few exclamation marks to emphasis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your biased links that I have shown to disagree with what you claim....you casually ignore those posts
    He is using the mendacious tactics typical of such zealots. He knows most people won't read his boring links, so when he says the links agree with him, some people will believe him. Like many partisan internet "campaigners" (lol!) he long ago lost sight of what the word "truth" even means.

I think he has, with this thread, successfully persuaded a lot of people that there's a nut case called Rheghead, on the internet.