Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

Alzheimers disease is a truly frightening disease. It robs us of our faculties and brain function. But high cholesterol levels have been linked to the formation of the disease. Bad cholesterol (LDL) gets in the blood by the consumption of animal products like meat and dairy. Vegans do not have high LDL cholesterol levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12580703

http://science.sciencemag.org/conten...42/508.summary
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Perhaps you can post a few pro-vegan posts and show me how it is done?
    I would not try to convince anyone ever.

My wife is/has been an NHS nurse for over 30 years. She is surrounded by doctors, nurses and even consultants who smoke. These are people who are very aware of the huge risk they are taking but still choose to do it. Several of them are clinically obese and still they choose to stuff their face with unhealthy food. This is their choice.

If highly intelligent doctors are prepared to make poor choices then I seriously doubt you will convince many to change to a healthy vegetarian lifestyle by bombarding them with study after study, if they didn't get it after the first link then it isn't going to happen.

I would love to convince everyone of the joys of motorcycling (apart from the so & so's who 'invented' the NC500 who are spoiling the best roads in the UK). I could go on about the fuel economy, no damage to road surfaces, or at least minimal, lack of congestion, I know that's not an issue up here, different story down South, but I don't because I know most people are set in their ways and resist change.

However, if you wish to continue posting studies, then I wish you luck, the more vegetarians up here the better. It means more meat for me

Alzheimers disease is a truly frightening disease. It robs us of our faculties and brain function.
    I suppose it could be that, yes.

Or have you fallen on your head a lot of times?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    This is their choice.
    Indeed, and that is why I stand by my words in the opening stages of my investigation into the links between dairy products, meat and cancer. This thread has always been about raising awareness of the science into the health, environmental and ethical issues of those products. What you choose to do with that information is purely up to you.

The results of my research will probably end in three courses of action.

1. The links between dairy and cancer are not supported by science so there is nothing to worry about.
    2. There is a link between dairy and cancer and the person chooses to consume dairy whilst knowing the risks.
    3. There is a link between dairy and cancer and the person cuts down or eliminates the consumption of dairy products.

An article in Scientific American which explains how nearly all human ancestors were vegetarian. Certainly the human body is physiologically herbivore

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-vegetarians/

An article in Scientific American which explains how nearly all human ancestors were vegetarian. Certainly the human body is physiologically herbivore

Herbibore you are Rheg
    W.A.T.P.

I actually took the time to read your link…your conclusions suit your view point, I interpret it slightly differently. Two excerpts from the study. I think the second statement says it all. While the first dispels the myth that we haven’t evolved to drink cow puss.

With agriculture, several human populations independently evolved gene variants that coded for the persistence of lactase (which breaks down lactose) so as to be able to deal with milk, not just as babies but also as adults. Drinking milk of another species as an adult is weird, but some human populations have evolved the ability

So, what should we eat? The past does not reveal a simple answer, ever. Our bodies did not evolve to be in harmony with a past diet. The evolved to take advantage of what was available

Mild ONLINE PANIC due to fears of a bacon shortage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38836782

I have never seen panic due to a shortage of lettuce!
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 02-Feb-17 at 09:52.

Would you believe it !! one day after my 'lettuce' post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38851097

There is a new full feature length documentary called Eating You Alive is being released. I'm sure it will be promoted on youtube or Netflix in good time. Here is a promotional trailer to give you a taster of what a dietary change to plant-based foods can do for you. People just seem to be more energised and healthy on a plant-based diet. What is not to like being on a tasty diet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sGE5n-i1Q

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Herbibore you are Rheg
    Tam Dalyell has often been credited with the following quote: "You must not be afraid to be thought a bore"

But when I come to think about it, I have made an effort to build up a body of evidence to suggest that animals products are causing harm to health, the environment and the animals. Whereas others have pretty much repeated themselves about how repetitive that I am and how they are not going to change.

I think I have been less repetitive and boring. It takes two to tango...

You could forget about "building up bodies of evidence" on the internet and get yourself a life, you know like with a job and all that.

Replacing dairy with soy products seem to prevent breast cancer and improves survival.

The relationship between soy food intake and breast cancer has been rigorously investigated for more than 25 years. The identification of isoflavones as possible chemopreventive agents helped fuel this line of investigation. These diphenolic compounds, which are found in uniquely-rich amounts in soy beans, possess both estrogen-dependent and -independent properties that potentially inhibit the development of breast cancer. Observational studies show that among Asian women higher soy consumption is associated with an approximate 30% reduction in risk of developing breast cancer. However, evidence suggests that for soy to reduce breast cancer risk consumption must occur early in life, that is during childhood and/or adolescence. Despite the interest in the role of soy in reducing breast cancer risk concerns have arisen that soy foods, because they contain isoflavones, may increase the likelihood of high-risk women developing breast cancer and worsen the prognosis of breast cancer patients. However, extensive clinical and epidemiologic data show these concerns to be unfounded. Clinical trials consistently show that isoflavone intake does not adversely affect markers of breast cancer risk, including mammographic density and cell proliferation. Furthermore, prospective epidemiologic studies involving over 11,000 women from the USA and China show that postdiagnosis soy intake statistically significantly reduces recurrence and improves survival.
    http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/444735

They say people who adopt a plant-based diet are not anchored in the real world they're idealist hippies and trouble makers.

However, these people go on to buy meat and dairy and choose to ignore that their food choices are responsible for the major causes of loss of biodiversity, single cause of carbon emissions, 70 billion lives being snuffed out per year, ocean dead zones, big cause of cancer, diabetes, heart attacks, obesity, high cholesterol, ulcerated colitis, sids, the list is endless.

As e Caithness fermer chiel would say "there's wiser eitan gress"

I take it you don't actually read what you link to !

The recent adaptations of our bodies differ from one person to the next, whether because of unique versions of genes or unique microbes, but our bodies are all fully-equipped to deal with meat (which is relatively easy) and natural sugars (also easy, if not always beneficial), and harder to digest plant material, what often gets called fiber.

and

6-I know, what I have shown is not that our ancestors were vegetarians but instead that they tended to mostly eat vegetable matter. Here though I am using the definition of vegetarian that most humans use where someone is a vegetarian if they decline meat in public but occasionally, when no one is looking, sneak a beef jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    I take it you don't actually read what you link to !

The recent adaptations of our bodies differ from one person to the next, whether because of unique versions of genes or unique microbes, but our bodies are all fully-equipped to deal with meat (which is relatively easy) and natural sugars (also easy, if not always beneficial), and harder to digest plant material, what often gets called fiber.

and

6-I know, what I have shown is not that our ancestors were vegetarians but instead that they tended to mostly eat vegetable matter. Here though I am using the definition of vegetarian that most humans use where someone is a vegetarian if they decline meat in public but occasionally, when no one is looking, sneak a beef jerky.
    Actually I do, what does the title say? Human Ancestors Were Nearly All Vegetarians I would be blind if I didn't read that. I didn't say our ancestors were vegans, they were herbivores. Herbivores can still eat the occasional dead animal and still be classed as a herbivore, it is called opportunism. In the same token, a cat will go out and eat bits of grass but I would never call a cat an omnivore, it is a carnivore. They would be ill if you fed them on plants, and in the same way, we are ill if we eat a lot of meat. Animals like bears, raccoons and dogs can be classed as omnivores but they had carnivore ancestors, it shows in their teeth and physiology. Our bodies are that of a herbivore, we omnivore by behavior but this is relatively a very recent step in our prehistory.

we are ill if we eat a lot of meat.
    "We" meaning Rheghead, obviously.

And you're ill, mate, no matter what you do or don't eat.

Actually I do, what does the title say? Human Ancestors Were Nearly All Vegetarians I would be blind if I didn't read that. I didn't say our ancestors were vegans, they were herbivores. Herbivores can still eat the occasional dead animal and still be classed as a herbivore, it is called opportunism. In the same token, a cat will go out and eat bits of grass but I would never call a cat an omnivore, it is a carnivore. They would be ill if you fed them on plants, and in the same way, we are ill if we eat a lot of meat. Animals like bears, raccoons and dogs can be classed as omnivores but they had carnivore ancestors, it shows in their teeth and physiology. Our bodies are that of a herbivore, we omnivore by behavior but this is relatively a very recent step in our prehistory.
    Our ancestors were herbivores? That statement is at odds with an American research paper (I know you like American research as that is where most of your links originate) We are and were omnivores. As I pointed out in post #387 your own posted research says "So, what should we eat? The past does not reveal a simple answer, ever. Our bodies did not evolve to be in harmony with a past diet. The evolved to take advantage of what was available"

I think you must have a form of emotional masochism. you clearly thrive on being corrected, hence the number of posts on here.

Why not just accept that your evangelical approach has won you no converts, I expect it has had the opposite effect.

Anyone who has been won over by Rheghead's postings please feel free to comment.

http://www.miamicosmeticdentalcare.c...res-omnivores/

https://www.bowdoin.edu/~dfrancis/askanerd/omni/

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Our ancestors were herbivores? That statement is at odds with an American research paper (I know you like American research as that is where most of your links originate) We are and were omnivores. As I pointed out in post #387 your own posted research says "So, what should we eat? The past does not reveal a simple answer, ever. Our bodies did not evolve to be in harmony with a past diet. The evolved to take advantage of what was available"

I think you must have a form of emotional masochism. you clearly thrive on being corrected, hence the number of posts on here.

Why not just accept that your evangelical approach has won you no converts, I expect it has had the opposite effect.

Anyone who has been won over by Rheghead's postings please feel free to comment.

http://www.miamicosmeticdentalcare.c...res-omnivores/

https://www.bowdoin.edu/~dfrancis/askanerd/omni/
    I will let scientists do the talking...not some 'Ask a nerd' guy.

Here is an quote from a proper scientist in the field of nutrition.

Although most humans consider themselves carnivores or at least omnivores, basically we humans have characteristics of herbivores
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3603726/