Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Ditch the Flag

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default Ditch the Flag

    It's surely time to ditch the butchers apron and only use our national flags. The history of the union flag is too shameful.

  2. #2

    Default

    If not for that flag and what it stands for, you wouldn't be able to sit comfortably at your keyboard/tablet/phone and have the freedom to complain about anything and everything. So I respect that piece of clothe and what it enables me to do, so please carry on, that is your right.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    It's surely time to ditch the butchers apron and only use our national flags. The history of the union flag is too shameful.
    Certainly not, I am with Team GB, and our national flag every time 😀
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default

    That flag represents blood and empire whether we like it or not. Regards keyboard, tablet, phone etc. what have these items got to do with empire building?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    That flag represents blood and empire whether we like it or not. Regards keyboard, tablet, phone etc. what have these items got to do with empire building?
    I have served under three ensigns, the Red while serving in the Merchant Navy , Blue while serving on Royal Fleet Auxiliarys, and then 27 years serving the White in the Royal Naval Reserve and I am proud of it , and I am not a key board warrior, have been there and served my time, and would do it again.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    That flag represents blood and empire whether we like it or not.
    It's just a flag.

    What country never went to war?

  7. #7

    Default

    Sid, it is not JUST a flag but it is JUST Piratelassie spouting dribble again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Golach, you can be proud of your own history, but not Brittish history when it involves exploiting other nations, slavery, invasion for gain etc. and roshep, if you think my post is dribble (what ever that is) please explain why.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Golach, you can be proud of your own history, but not Brittish history when it involves exploiting other nations, slavery, invasion for gain etc. and roshep, if you think my post is dribble (what ever that is) please explain why.
    Our National flag includes the cross of St Andrew, and if you check you history , you will find that most of the slave traders were Scots , who exploited thousands for profit, Scotland history is full of greed and misery as well. , as one of the failed 45%'s your just spouting sour grapes.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default

    It was a Brittish Empire not an English, Welsh, Irish or Scottish Empire. If the UK had never been created there would not have been an empire to be ashamed of.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    I was not ashamed of Team Great Britain during the last Olymipc Games, have visited many of the Commonwealth countries, they all seemed to be prospering , which i doubt An independent Scotland would be, just look at the state under 10 years of SNP rule, NHS broken, Education broken, Police broken, Oil industry broken.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    It's surely time to ditch the butchers apron and only use our national flags. The history of the union flag is too shameful.
    You've posted this before ??? Your a UK citizen whether you like it or not and thats your flag. You got the same reactions before to your post and our "national" flag is of course untainted and as pure as driven snow is it ? Just have a wee squint at pre union history ie Scotland as an independent country 1644 / 1645 Scottish civil war, inter clan, clan "warfare" / thieving / murdering enslaving defeated clans, zealous religious bigotry.. yep a nice wee untainted country.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    You've posted this before ??? Your a UK citizen whether you like it or not and thats your flag. You got the same reactions before to your post and our "national" flag is of course untainted and as pure as driven snow is it ? Just have a wee squint at pre union history ie Scotland as an independent country 1644 / 1645 Scottish civil war, inter clan, clan "warfare" / thieving / murdering enslaving defeated clans, zealous religious bigotry.. yep a nice wee untainted country.
    Not to mention The Scottish invasion of Ireland in 1315.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    The Duke of Cumberland had a different flag anyways.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    The Duke of Cumberland had a different flag anyways.
    Out of interest, what flag did he use, assuming its the culloden Duke of Cumberland ?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Out of interest, what flag did he use, assuming its the culloden Duke of Cumberland ?
    I don't know, but it wouldn't be the 1802 Union Jack.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    It was a Brittish Empire not an English, Welsh, Irish or Scottish Empire. If the UK had never been created there would not have been an empire to be ashamed of.
    If the UK hadn't of been created, the British isles would have been invaded many times over, the French, Spanish, Dutch etc all created empires to trade slaves and invade for gain, and WE would have been the people living under their rule. Empires existed and fought each other for resources, this is a fact of life, why can't we all get along and live in peace and harmony? Because Mankind on the whole is greedy, until we can get over this I don't think we'll have the world you protest so much for piratelassie.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    As a supporter of independence I just have to say that I like the flag & as long as we are part of the UK then it should remain...

    The problem as I see it is that there is a lot of animosity towards it due to the fact that many English people think of it as an English flag & because of that so do many Scots...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    As a supporter of independence I just have to say that I like the flag & as long as we are part of the UK then it should remain...

    The problem as I see it is that there is a lot of animosity towards it due to the fact that many English people think of it as an English flag & because of that so do many Scots...
    Your quite correct, there are a lot of poorly educated folk around.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    The problem as I see it is that there is a lot of animosity towards it due to the fact that many English people think of it as an English flag & because of that so do many Scots...
    That's quite a complicated way of blaming something on English people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •