Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Castle Arms Mey

Default Castle Arms Mey

First time visited in over 4 years and what a difference the new owners are making.
    Ambience great, service good,food great and whats more nice cold beer.
    I will be back.

I was having a discussion about this place yesterday, its good to hear that the village has its centre attraction back on an even keel, are the going to reopen the shop?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Oooh! This is interesting news. I didn't realise there was a change of ownership. I must check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I was having a discussion about this place yesterday, its good to hear that the village has its centre attraction back on an even keel, are the going to reopen the shop?
    I doubt the Castle Arms could be called any kind of attraction in Mey. Some locals have been discouraged or barred from using the bar; they weren't drinking enough or weren't 'appropriately dressed'. The shop has remained closed and the 'hotel' closes for the winter, September to April. The place is up for sale too. It does not appear to be a happy place.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I think you missed the part which mentions that it's under new ownership! Wish the new owners well in their venture

Yes The Castle Arms Are under NEW OWNERS
    It is no longer the VILLAGE OF THE BANNED everyone is now welcome

HOORAY

Thanks for the 'heads up' Bobinovich and Manxman the previous new owners took over in 2012 and invested a lot of money and time in the place. Unfortunately they alienated a lot of people in the process. I shall have to pay a visit and see what's happening.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I doubt the Castle Arms could be called any kind of attraction in Mey. Some locals have been discouraged or barred from using the bar; they weren't drinking enough or weren't 'appropriately dressed'. The shop has remained closed and the 'hotel' closes for the winter, September to April. The place is up for sale too. It does not appear to be a happy place.
    Just so you know we only ever banned one person and that was for organising a boycott of our bar and refusing to pay his bill. As for appropriate dress if you consider farm overalls stinking of sheep and boots covered in mud or worse then we were quite justified in addressing this issue. As for not drinking enough if you know your young Caithness men that was never an issue - perhaps drinking too much was their problem sometimes. The shop had about two customers a day if we were lucky so why keep a loss making place open? Our guests were very happy not to have to put up with swearing loudmouths being sick so think on that. The minute the shop and bar closed our profit shot up. Why would that be I wonder? Food for thought.

This is why we're glad you're gone. Hope your new career in comedy goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    This is why we're glad you're gone. Hope your new career in comedy goes well.
    Missing you too!!

What is that song called The friendly Folk O' The Border lol

billrose
    I think that you should change your user name to PINOCCHIO as you and a lot of other people know that statement is untrue if you put a zero on the end of that number one you would be closer to the TRUTH

Did he fail in the place then?

I would like people to look at the facts, the place seems to be going from strength to strength the new owners are doing a blinding job, they have kept local people in a job, they are installing a sense of community back in the place. What has gone on in the past Is nothing to do with the new owners, they have bought a going concern, but certainly cant be held responsible for the miss givings of the last lot, they opperated on the tourist trade only, which was a shame as the local were punished for it.

i hope the locals now make use of it, weve been in 3 times and honestly I think the prices are costly for the local trade but can not fault the food, the staff or the craic with the new owners. Its going through a faze of refurb theyve great plans and they certainly know what they want to achieve, a member of staff I have talked with had praise for them outwith work so I know its genuine.

Good luck ��
    Live life while you have it, after is too late!!!

I agree with Digby It is now a happier place than it was and long may it continue, the new owners are just what the village needed after what had gone on before

Quote Originally Posted by Manxman View Post
    I agree with Digby It is now a happier place than it was and long may it continue, the new owners are just what the village needed after what had gone on before
    Fortunately for the new owners they did not have the misfortune to have the loss-making shop and public bar drunks to contend with. Perhaps the locals who mistreated the place should feel ashamed of their behaviour and normal people should understand the real reasons behind the closures - they would be shocked and embarrassed. As the new owners have no connection with us let's hope they are treated with some respect.

People getting drunk at a bar.. the irony, i mean if it had been the library I'd understand but in a bar, it's just never been heard of before.... as for boiler suits coverd in sheep crap and the likes, a bar should be a woking men/womens bar, a person who likes a pint after a days graft is hardly likely to be in the mood to put on there sunday best on.. sounds like new owners is a sigh of relief for the place.. going by the way the bar appears to have been ran, i can't help ut winder if the shop had a league of gentlemen feel about it... happy days all round i guess