Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: caithness music scene

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I know all, I see all. I shall lead you, guide you on paths of everlasting pseudo-karmic negligence, in the very midst of my drug-induced nocturnal emission; a cosmic love pulse matrix, become a technicolor interpositive!

Seems, the silence on this topic - just like the Caithness music 'scene' - is deafening.
    LOL

Given that we've all given answers to condradict your premise I would conclude that it is your silence which is deafening!

You've made no attempt to come back with any defence of your original 'attack', Chooky.

I would suggest you start with a reply to my post please - just in time for the Caithness Music Festival (round-about now?). Presumably it's been cancelled due to lack of a music scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazaa View Post
    Sorry guys, I reckon I've come to this debate far too late now. I think I'm missing the point now, though.

From what I can gather on these posts, Caithness has a music scene and given the number of events discussed on these pages recently, I would say it was pretty healthy. My only criticism would be to add that no one has mentioned other forms of music on this thread.
    Now, please don't shoot me but where is mentioned Scottish Opera? They continually get a larger audience here than any other 'small' venue around the country (including Portobello - which is quite close to Edinburgh, I think!)
    Heavilly advertised - well attended.
    Lyth Arts Centre - Un venue splendide je crois - Well advertised gigs, well attended even though it is in the country somewhere. In fact, at some gigs there they have to turn away punters due to lack of seats - something you wouldn't find in a similar venue in Aberdeen (the Lemon Tree) where they struggle to fill seats for such 'high-brow' avant garde.
    What about the pipers and the fiddlers. The Orchestras, the choirs, choral societies and jazz/big bands? Don't they feature here.
    Is there still a Thurso Live Music Association? Do they still get bands/acts up from the south?
    Is the 'rock' scene in danger of becoming as elitist as these 'classical' genres have been in the past?
    As far as I can tell, the scene at Thurso High School is still as vibrant as ever. The last I heard was another well attended concert with a wide variety of talents and performers (can't imagine that "at least a % of whom are making their living from it"). I believe it was open to the public in general. How many reading this thread attended?
    (I trust Mr. Dragon was there to find out "whats the deal with thurso high, they used to be really good at encouraging bands and artists to get out there, now the gigs are pupils and parents only is it not? not sure whats happening on there front anymore")

Not to be one to 'stroke groins' but I think Caithness seems to be doing very well on the music scene. I think to criticise it is to not even know it . . . even slightly.

I think the main problem, here, is that we have widely contrasting definitions of the term "scene". Scottish Opera and Classical Music (as much as I like it), for me, don't really equate to what I would include as part of the contemporary music scene. Fair dos, though.

I think the main problem, here, is that we have widely contrasting definitions of the term "scene". Scottish Opera and Classical Music (as much as I like it), for me, don't really equate to what I would include as part of the contemporary music scene. Fair dos, though.
    You CLEARLY don't have any idea about classical music if you think that it is only music from 200 years ago. There are still people writing classical music today. In fact, one of the country's leading contemporary composers resides in Orkney. Maybe YOU do not consider this to be contemporary enough.

Perhaps a look at this year's TLMA programme will offer you the merest glimpse as to just how contemporary the WHOLE music scene in Thurso actually is.

just in time for the Caithness Music Festival (round-about now?).
    I think it starts on Monday

You CLEARLY don't have any idea about classical music if you think that it is only music from 200 years ago. There are still people writing classical music today. In fact, one of the country's leading contemporary composers resides in Orkney. Maybe YOU do not consider this to be contemporary enough.

Perhaps a look at this year's TLMA programme will offer you the merest glimpse as to just how contemporary the WHOLE music scene in Thurso actually is.
    I have an idea about classical music. And most who compose it nowadays eat stuff that is brown and lumpy. As Frank Zappa once said: "The present day composer refuses to die."

So, sweeping generalisations and soundbites from dead American wierdos aside, you can't actually answer Cazaa's question?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Exclamation

Would this link be of any use to anyone wanting to make their presence known to any promoters, venues etc.?
    http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...musicians.html

Not many on so far but as word gets around and musicians start using this page maybe there will be more bookings for the young people who seem to be the ones looking for a showcase. As far as I can see, every music genre seems to be catered for via all the aforementioned venues. Just take a look at the adverts in the 'Groat this week; seems to be plenty to pick and choose from. Myself, I'm off to the Fiddlers' Rally tonight at 7.30 in the Thurso High School; time for a "hooch"!

I have an idea about classical music. And most who compose it nowadays eat stuff that is brown and lumpy. As Frank Zappa once said: "The present day composer refuses to die."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Frank Zappa a modern-day composer (orchestral stuff and crossover jazz-rock/orchestra) and didn't he die?
    As for his dietary habits; after listening to some of his lyrics I wouldn't be surprised if he did eat brown lumpy stuff.
    I myself am quite keen on mince, and I do enjoy listening to Mr Zappa. However a classical composer I am not.
    Each to their own I say!
    "Hydrogen isn't the most common element in the world... intolerance is" - Herman Schlachzeuger
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    So, sweeping generalisations and soundbites from dead American wierdos aside, you can't actually answer Cazaa's question?
    I did answer the question. And Zappa was no more weird anyone else you may know.

I think that from 'Freak Out' to 'Weasels Ripped my Flesh' it's safe to say that Mr. Zappa made a musical career out of being weird. Talented yes, rude definitely, weird certainly in comparison to even his contemporaries over his 30 year musical career.
    Anyway, as regards the existence or otherwise of a music scene in Caithness, see other recent posts on this music forum to see that as far as 'musical differences' is concerned, we're doing all right.
    Ding Ding, seconds out...
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234