Sorry guys, I reckon I've come to this debate far too late now. I think I'm missing the point now, though.

From what I can gather on these posts, Caithness has a music scene and given the number of events discussed on these pages recently, I would say it was pretty healthy. My only criticism would be to add that no one has mentioned other forms of music on this thread.
Now, please don't shoot me but where is mentioned Scottish Opera? They continually get a larger audience here than any other 'small' venue around the country (including Portobello - which is quite close to Edinburgh, I think!)
Heavilly advertised - well attended.
Lyth Arts Centre - Un venue splendide je crois - Well advertised gigs, well attended even though it is in the country somewhere. In fact, at some gigs there they have to turn away punters due to lack of seats - something you wouldn't find in a similar venue in Aberdeen (the Lemon Tree) where they struggle to fill seats for such 'high-brow' avant garde.
What about the pipers and the fiddlers. The Orchestras, the choirs, choral societies and jazz/big bands? Don't they feature here.
Is there still a Thurso Live Music Association? Do they still get bands/acts up from the south?
Is the 'rock' scene in danger of becoming as elitist as these 'classical' genres have been in the past?
As far as I can tell, the scene at Thurso High School is still as vibrant as ever. The last I heard was another well attended concert with a wide variety of talents and performers (can't imagine that "at least a % of whom are making their living from it"). I believe it was open to the public in general. How many reading this thread attended?
(I trust Mr. Dragon was there to find out "whats the deal with thurso high, they used to be really good at encouraging bands and artists to get out there, now the gigs are pupils and parents only is it not? not sure whats happening on there front anymore")

Not to be one to 'stroke groins' but I think Caithness seems to be doing very well on the music scene. I think to criticise it is to not even know it . . . even slightly.