Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cannot find James Sinclair 1887 Ploughman, Hillhead, had son with Maggie Simpson

Question Cannot find James Sinclair 1887 Ploughman, Hillhead, had son with Maggie Simpson

Hi, I am trying to trace my gg grandfather who is only known from the 2.9.1887 birth record of his son, also James Sinclair, born in High Street Wick, recorded as illegitimate, to mother Maggie/Margaret Simpson. James was recorded as James Sinclair, father, Ploughman, Hillhead, in 1887 and was rumoured drowned possibly soon after the birth, but there is no record of this, nor any confirmed record of him before or since. I have checked censuses, valuation rolls, wills, deaths & drownings, looked at other James Sinclair Ploughmen, and much, much more. Am now trying DNA and also looking at Kirk Session records soon. Does anyone have any different ideas/info on this? Maggie was born on Stroma, lived at Barrogill Mains, East Mey, had another "illegitimate" child Helen McGregor in 1891 then married John Dunnet in 1893 and they lived in Castletown having 4 Dunnet children, the last of whom, Minnie Rhind nee Dunnet was the aunt who told me many years ago about the ?? drowning. Help please, no one can find this James Ploughman, Hillhead. His son, James Sinclair lived 1887-1964, was with Simpsons in Wick in 1891 including gran Mary a midwife, then with Clyne (married Simpsons) in Wick in 1901, then moved to Edinburgh and joined the Royal Engineers and had several Sinclair children with May Jane Maguire.

Hi,
    Perhaps you should hit the General Board with a bit of your description. I am sure that there will be people in Caithness who can help. Particularly the Stroma connection. You can refer them to this section....