Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Stitches!!

Unhappy Stitches!!

One of our kittens appears to have pulled out one of her stitches from the spaying operation she had on Thursday. She isn't bleeding or anything and isn't at all distressed but we wonder if we should phone the vets anyway. Problem is... it's the weekend.....

Any ideas/thoughts?

My dog was spayed on a Thursday and by the Sunday morning had pulled all her stitches out! I was mortified so took her in to see the vet, he said there are 3 layers of stitches and not to worry too much and left it as it was, he didn't charge extra for taking her in on a Sunday as he said it was post-op, I just took her in a week later when she should've had the stitches out so they could check it was ok, she was and now you can't even see a scar!

You could always ask for an Elizabethan collar for her to stock her getting at the wound.

Just keep checking it and make sure wound is not opening, my cats have always pulled the stitches out early on and it is normally fine. If the wound is opening you will have to contact the vets and they will probably glue it for you. The vets are always on call and it is not too expensive for a callout at the weekend.

I would totally agree with what has been said. Kittens normally heal really quickly so one stitch being removed should be okay.

I took one of my dogs in to have his stitches removed, after being neutered, to find out he had already taken them all out just like Neepnipper's dog!!!

Of course if you are in any ways worried do just phone the Vets as they will understand your anxiety.

Thanks for all your replies. I got back from work today and found she had chewed through another one and had been bleeding a bit, so we've been to see the vet and she is now the proud owner of a conehead!

She's actually been eating the stitches by the looks of it! She scoffed a bit of the thread that the vet found loose and had put on the table...

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I got back from work today and found she had chewed through another one and had been bleeding a bit, so we've been to see the vet and she is now the proud owner of a conehead!

She's actually been eating the stitches by the looks of it! She scoffed a bit of the thread that the vet found loose and had put on the table...
    Oh Crikey! Obviously has a taste for thread!!! Glad she is okay although she is a conehead now!!!

they are soo comical with a conehead watch out the other kitten doesnt pick on her too much it could open up her wound too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    they are soo comical with a conehead watch out the other kitten doesnt pick on her too much it could open up her wound too!
    Actually it's quite sweet because the other kitten seems to keep "checking on her". They've not had a single fight since she came home - maybe she should keep the collar (just kidding!)